Opinions on this TV - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Opinions on this TV

Ok, so I'm about to move into a house and the garage has been converted into a media-room like room.

I'm wanting to buy an HDTV and I have gone out and looked at all the flat-pannels and I really like this one:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

It is a Sony 46" Bravia XBR LCD HDTV.

Price isn't so much of a concern because I've got a friend who works at Best Buy and can get me a deal. I just wanted to see if anyone on here had this particular TV or knows someone who does and if they have any opinions on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVenom
Ok, so I'm about to move into a house and the garage has been converted into a media-room like room.

I'm wanting to buy an HDTV and I have gone out and looked at all the flat-pannels and I really like this one:

Price isn't so much of a concern because I've got a friend who works at Best Buy and can get me a deal. I just wanted to see if anyone on here had this particular TV or knows someone who does and if they have any opinions on it.
I have heard they are exceptional...and expensive. I'm looking for a set myself, and can't pop the 4k for the XBR. The regular Sony Bravia is a helluva set, but the XBR is the shit...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Time Served

you might as well get a pioneer if money isnt a concern

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
I have heard they are exceptional...and expensive. I'm looking for a set myself, and can't pop the 4k for the XBR. The regular Sony Bravia is a helluva set, but the XBR is the shit...
Well it helps that I'm doing quite well for myself right now and I can get it at Best Buy's cost plus the employee discount.

I've seen this particular model anywhere from $2,700 at Fry's to $3,500 at Circuit City so it pays to shop around. I'm just wanting to make sure this is a quality unit before I plop down that type of cash.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Well it helps that I'm doing quite well for myself right now and I can get it at Best Buy's cost plus the employee discount.

I've seen this particular model anywhere from $2,700 at Fry's to $3,500 at Circuit City so it pays to shop around. I'm just wanting to make sure this is a quality unit before I plop down that type of cash.
I figured with the HDMI cables and warranty, I was looking at the $4k. My nephew has the non-BXR Bravia (1080i) and it is VERY nice for a bout $1200 less.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Lifer

I've got the same TV, basically. Does it have to be a LCD/Plasma type TV? IE, wall-mount?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
I've got the same TV, basically. Does it have to be a LCD/Plasma type TV? IE, wall-mount?
I would prefer it to be a flat-screen. It just looks alot cleaner to me and I'd rather be able to just move a wall-mount rather than some huge-ass stand.

I talked to my friend the other day and Best Buy has it at $2,799.98 retail so I can get it for a bit less than that plus his employee discount. The 40" is obviously less, but it just doesn't look as good to me.

I'm moving into my house in November so I want to have a nice TV to watch football/sports on.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 03:28 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Id look at the Sharp Aquos or whatever its called. 1080p resolution, 10,000:1 contrast ratio and if you wait, there are Sharp friends and family codes on the internet. Guy at work just got his 52" Aquos for $1800 shipped.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 10:09 AM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
I figured with the HDMI cables and warranty, I was looking at the $4k. My nephew has the non-BXR Bravia (1080i) and it is VERY nice for a bout $1200 less.
off topic but don't spend any more money than you have to on HDMI cables, it's been well documented that expensive HDMI are no better than the cheapest you can find

I like that Sony, but to give an honest opinion, I'd have to know how much you can get it for, so it can be compared to others vs. price. I mean it's nice and all, but not worth spending twice as much when it's not twice as good.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4
off topic but don't spend any more money than you have to on HDMI cables, it's been well documented that expensive HDMI are no better than the cheapest you can find

I like that Sony, but to give an honest opinion, I'd have to know how much you can get it for, so it can be compared to others vs. price. I mean it's nice and all, but not worth spending twice as much when it's not twice as good.
Right on the first part. Generally, unless you get a smokin' deal $15 or less, just order from www.monoprice.com prior to buying the TV and get them for around $5/cable.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 07:31 PM
B-WIZ

Location: There's a huge chance I've been registered longer than you.
Quote:

I'm not a huge fan of LCDs really, however I would own this LCD over nearly all the plasmas out there. The picture is sharp as hell, that 120 hz motion enhancer is sick. From what I was reading, they add an extra black frame to decrease motion blur as well. The black levels are pretty damn nice for an lcd too. Plus you can change that black plate to like 5 other colors. It can be networked to share pics, movies, and music with an optional device which is called a DMx. (i think thats what its called) It uses the exact same GUI interface as the PSP and PS3.

Honestly, its one of maybe 3-4 lcd's I would personally buy if I could afford it.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 07:33 PM
B-WIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg
Id look at the Sharp Aquos or whatever its called. 1080p resolution, 10,000:1 contrast ratio and if you wait, there are Sharp friends and family codes on the internet. Guy at work just got his 52" Aquos for $1800 shipped.

The sharps have a good amount of color breakup and motion blur.

Now, must people don't notice it really until its pointed out to them.

DFWSTANGS: just a jump-the-gun, criticize and judge-all-before-you-know-shit, racists, extremist, whats-a-mustang?, internet forum.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZMO
I'm not a huge fan of LCDs really, however I would own this LCD over nearly all the plasmas out there. The picture is sharp as hell, that 120 hz motion enhancer is sick. From what I was reading, they add an extra black frame to decrease motion blur as well. The black levels are pretty damn nice for an lcd too. Plus you can change that black plate to like 5 other colors. It can be networked to share pics, movies, and music with an optional device which is called a DMx. (i think thats what its called) It uses the exact same GUI interface as the PSP and PS3.

Honestly, its one of maybe 3-4 lcd's I would personally buy if I could afford it.
Yep, Motionflow kicks ass and the GUI is pretty awesome with the Bravia internet link.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZMO
The sharps have a good amount of color breakup and motion blur.

Now, must people don't notice it really until its pointed out to them.
they looked better than a lot of other crap at best buy not to long ago

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 08:39 AM
B-WIZ

As I said, most people don't notice it.

When was the last time you were in best buy? More than 2-3 months ago?

None the less, I disagree with you about sharp quality still. I think LG's LCDs look better than most sharps. While Sony and Samsung pretty much blow them away.

Now, my girls parents have the 42" 64u and they love it.

Come to best buy in Hurst and I'll show you EXACTLY what I am talking about.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

Mine's better. It gets living colors: black and white!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antique tv.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	80103  

DFWMustangs.net
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 AM
B-WIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135
Mine's better. It gets living colors: black and white!

That shit is just dope!!!!

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
BOOSTED32V Jr.

Well, pretty much everyone I have talked to has said this TV is one of the best out there so as soon as I move into my place I'll probably go buy it.

Thanks for the input everyone.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Well, pretty much everyone I have talked to has said this TV is one of the best out there so as soon as I move into my place I'll probably go buy it.

Thanks for the input everyone.
It just so happens that that Bravia XBR is one of two LCD's that I've been looking at.

I found this Samsung LCD that is pretty good too.
Samsung LNT5271F 52" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV

I looked at Both on display at Circuit City at Firewheel Town Center. I almost want to say the motion bur reduction looks better on the Samsung. It's hard to judge since they are not next to each other and are not playing the same thing.

The bad thing about the Samsung is that it's got a glossy screen where the XBR has the matted.

I'm trying to decide between the two myself. Does anyone have any input on the XBR vs that 71F Samsung line?

'94 SVT Cobra

'66 GT Fastback
* Mid-Restoration
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Lifer

www.avsforum.com where there are user opinions on both TV's.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Lifer

you wouldnt happen to be moving to denton would you?

'07 350Z
'90 Firebird Formula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement