Cheap Sound Dampening? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
\(_o)/

Cheap Sound Dampening?

I need to quiet down, more or less, the outside to inside noise ( i.e. Road Noise etc. . . ) Is there some cheap effective stuff I can put under the carpet? I am about to replace the whole interior and I would like to be able to do quite it down a little. Also, how much weight is this stuff going to be. I hear dynamat is good but expensive. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 01:34 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Dynamat is the best. Roofing material and the like is a joke. How much do you want I have tons in stock. Dynamat extreme is very light and very effective.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
\(_o)/

I really dont know how much a I want/need. I have a 1990 Coupe if that helps you determine how much space I might need. I dont want to spend more then $50 - $75 nor do I want to add more then 50#'s to the car. Tell me what you think I should do.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 02:55 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Two boxes of 36sq ft would cover the doors and most of the floor and add less than 40 lbs but it would cost much more than what you have selected to spend.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
\(_o)/

Well how much would it be? I am flexible, if it will really quiten the ride as much as I have heard it has then I am open to it.

I am also in need of car alarm w/ keyless entry and trunk pop, window tint, and some stereo stuff. If you sell all that, maybe we can work out a deal
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 03:37 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

I sell all that.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally posted by EW
I sell all that.
Ok, I need all 6 speakers for my car, the ones in the door/dash/rear. I also need window tint, can you get me the doctor approved tint? I am probably going to buy a used head unit and possibly a small used amp to power the speakers. I need a decent car alarm, I dont want nothing to extravagent. I'll install all that stuff but tint, I am not touching tint with a 100ft pole. I dont have rear window defrost so it'll probably be easier to install. Gimme prices on some good deals. I am finishing my parts for the interior rebuild and I also still need leather seats. What deals do you got!?!?! !

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 07:55 PM
Time Served

Make that 2!

Make that two deals! Quote me on two boxes of that Dynomat and MB Quarts all the way around, Thanx!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 08:06 PM
Rolling with the homies

I'll be adding it to my car sometime in the near future

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 08:16 PM
OC
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by EW
I sell all that.
What kind of prices do you run on Sub Boxes? I want a box for either 1 or 2 JL 12W0's I have 1 of them already. I want the box ported, for a 93 GT Hatchback.

Thanks,
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 03:56 AM
Time Served

Re: Cheap Sound Dampening?

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
I need to quiet down, more or less, the outside to inside noise ( i.e. Road Noise etc. . . ) Is there some cheap effective stuff I can put under the carpet? I am about to replace the whole interior and I would like to be able to do quite it down a little. Also, how much weight is this stuff going to be. I hear dynamat is good but expensive. Thanks.
I did car audio for about 7 years. I must say that the best thing would be to take out the interior and rhino line it.....

Yes the shit that goes in truck beds....it doesn't weigh much and has more dampening than dynamat. The downside is cost.

If you are looking to cover a few spots then you can go to a local pep boys and by spray foam insulation (cheap, really light, easy to apply), or they make some really cool stuff called rubberized under coating....This stuff is $3.00 a can and can cover up to 20 sq. ft. effectively. This is the best way and least expensive. Dynamat has the exact same thing but it cost 4 - 6 times more. You will find that it dries fast and works better then dynamat. I promise you won't be dissappointed. Dynamat is really an out dated material and overrated!!!!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 10:48 AM
Rolling with the homies

What shop did you work at?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 12:32 PM
Time Served

It was my own shop here in Duncanville. Mea nd some friends use to do it out of a warehouse. I had the warehouse as an office when I sold cars and used it mainly for storage.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 12:49 PM
Extreme Clean!

Re: Re: Cheap Sound Dampening?

Quote:
Originally posted by z0sense

Dynamat is really an out dated material and overrated!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, Dynamat Xtreme is out dated and it does not work at all Sorry zO, but this stuff works great and is very underrated. Misinformation at its best.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 12:57 PM
Time Served

I am not saying it doesn't work......

I am saying that there are cheaper alternatives that do the same thing or better. So when you pay that ridiculous price you can base it on the fact they think they are the only deadning material out there.

You are paying for brand name. All my alternatives cost 90% less then dynamat and work 1 - 2 times better. With exception to rhino lining.

BTW,
How much is dynamat extreme?????????
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 12:59 PM
Time Served

I am not trying to sell anything here.......

Just spread knowledge and offer an OPINION and suggestion Isn't that what the question was and what the forum is intended for
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 01:13 PM
Extreme Clean!

Quote:
So when you pay that ridiculous price you can base it on the fact they think they are the only deadning material out there.

You are paying for brand name. All my alternatives cost 90% less then dynamat and work 1 - 2 times better. With exception to rhino lining.

Well first, Dynamat is NOT the only material out. Second, if you can provide me a product that will drop noise inside the car 6 to 9 dB I will make a rich man.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 01:31 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by Rue

Well first, Dynamat is NOT the only material out. Second, if you can provide me a product that will drop noise inside the car 6 to 9 dB I will make a rich man.
You didn't answer my question, how much is dynamat extreme?

To your question I ask: for how much money do you need to drop 6 - 9 decibles. Even though if a material has a range like that it is ineffecient. The difference between 6dB and 9 dB is about 2 times power difference. If you want somewthing realistic and efficient let me know! I am sure I can find something that is cost effective.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 02:24 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

I will bet that z0sense has absolutely no scientific proof that Dynamat wanna-be products work as well as, much less 1-2 times better than, Dynamat Extreme. Extreme is 4 times more effective than their Original product and is only 1-2 years old. Exactly how is Dynamat Extreme outdated and where's the proof?

Just because another company sells a cheaper product does not mean that it is as good as the real deal.
Also, Rhino lining is not a good deadener IMO. Don't believe me? Bonk on a Rhino lined bed and bonk on a Dynamat floor. That ring you hear from the Rhino lining is the metal resonating which=not dead.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 02:32 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by EW
I will bet that z0sense has absolutely no scientific proof that Dynamat wanna-be products work as well as, much less 1-2 times better than, Dynamat Extreme. Extreme is 4 times more effective than their Original product and is only 1-2 years old. Exactly how is Dynamat Extreme outdated and where's the proof?

Just because another company sells a cheaper product does not mean that it is as good as the real deal.
Also, Rhino lining is not a good deadener IMO. Don't believe me? Bonk on a Rhino lined bed and bonk on a Dynamat floor. That ring you hear from the Rhino lining is the metal resonating which=not dead.
I hate to tell you guys but I dragged at db drag racing at aroud 173 db

Also,
There are better products for sound deadning, but these products are not JUST used or advertised for such. Remember that is all dynamat is used for. But if you can sit here and tell me that dynamat is more effective then concrete....I will bend over and kiss your ass. It just depends what you are trying to accomplish and how you want to do it.

BTW,
Concrete is more effective then dynamat, not to mention it doesn't flex. Please don't pass judgement on me because I know alot more think then you think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 02:49 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

z0sense: I don't know you. I don't know what you know. I don't see proof of your comments. I would like to see your score sheets and 173dB vehicle.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 04:16 PM
Extreme Clean!

Quote:

I hate to tell you guys but I dragged at db drag racing at aroud 173 db

Please don't pass judgement on me because I know alot more think then you think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These two comments just go to show you don't know a lot.
And yes it is spelled a lot not alot. Yea, let me or EW tell a customer that has a clue or who competes that I am going to put concrete in their doors they would flip out.
Was your car the one that hit a 173 dB?
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 04:24 PM
Lifer

man,

I love how much has been posted so quickly but GOD! you guys need to take it to the damn smackatorium if you all are going to bitch to each other. I know you all like to brag about how much you know, and it often helps anybody that asks (plus if it doesn't then you always have another option). z0sense, it's nice to have another person that knows their way around car audio and I haven't seen you here while i've been here, so welcome, I will look forward to your help, JUST AS MUCH I APPRICIATE THE REST OF YOU FOR HELP.

Jerred
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 05:58 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by Rue

These two comments just go to show you don't know a lot.
And yes it is spelled a lot not alot. Yea, let me or EW tell a customer that has a clue or who competes that I am going to put concrete in their doors they would flip out.
Was your car the one that hit a 173 dB?
Like I have tried to say before....I am not interested in a competiton, rather, I am offering a different point of view. I am not saying you all are wrong. I am noting that dynamat works, but there are other cheaper alternatives.

Second,
As for concrete, this is the extreme. It works...I never offered concrete as an option because it is obvious he doesn't want to go this route. You said what is better then dynamat, and I told you. Now you are saying that I am crazy! The point is to win you need to be different!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't say it was for everyday use. This is not a forum to see who knows more. I am sure we all like different things. I am also not suggesting my way is better. I am merely giving a suggestion, that is what he asked for, right?

Why can't you all just admit that I answered your question, and remeber that when dealing with car audio you need to be as specific as possible.

BTW,
It was mine and a friend that built a small s10 pickup that used to db DRAG. The box was concrete and the windshield was 3/4 plate steel.

Sorry if I was offensive just offering suggestions. Take them for what they are worth.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 11:34 AM
Truck Racer

I Dynamatted a few cars and it does make a difference, I think I used the premium and it did smell like roofing tar or something for a few weeks but not any more. Next time I am going to use Cascade VBlock it is supposed to be easier to work with, lighter, and no smell. Just what I have learned on my own dollar with my own cars.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 12:53 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Dyanmat has an independent study on their site that compares Brown Bread to Extreme. It shows the BB to be roofing material (asphalt based, low tech, stinky,requires heat to install) and Extreme to be 2 1/2 times more effective! I'll continue to use Dynamat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement