DFW Mustang Forums banner

Amp?

504 views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  dman 
#1 ·
I just recently decided that I was going to keep my WRX rather than selling it and getting something else, so now I've got the itch to upgrade the audio quality being fed into my ears. I replaced the stock HU with an Alpine HU (don't ask for model number, I don't know it right off the top of my head) and am looking to replace the factory 4" shitters with 5.25" Alpine SPS-13C2s in the front and 4" Alpine SPS-10C2s in the back. I plan on having the rear speakers driven soley off of the headunit, and the front speakers being powered by an amp. My problem is, I don't know which amp I should get?

#2 ·
Power is your friend. I would use a decent sized 4 ch and run all the speakers on the amp. The 4" in the rear will sound better with power and will sound better when the crossover in the amp is used to remove some of the low bass signals from them. You should look at better speakers IMO especially if you're not going to run a subwoofer. MB Quart, JL Audio, Boston Acoustics all make good sounding full range speakers that should fit well and sound good. Many of the MB Quart component models can be mounted as a coax which gives you the flexibility of having a good sounding speaker without cutting a hole for the tweeter.
Also, if you want the most sound from your small speakers without adding a subwoofer, use Dynamat Xtreme on the doors and door panels. It makes a huge difference.

#3 ·
I second the dynamat suggestion. Have you already purchased the Alpines? There are MUCH better speakers out there. Boston Pros also have the coax mounting capability. I really like mine. They do great with gobs of power, so don't skimp on the amp either.

#4 ·
Not looking to spend more then $150 for the fronts and $100 for the rears.

#7 ·
EW said:
MB Quart in the front DKF-113, ALpine or JL TR400cxi rear. Quart no longer makes a entry level 4".
I've got them picked out already, it's just going to take me a little longer to get where I want, as I want to do this all in one install rather than just slowly piecing it together.

MB Quart PCE213s up front
MB Quart RKC110s in back
MTX Audio TX5604 Amp

Sound ok?

Thanks for your input, both of you.

#9 ·
ELVIS said:
geof want some BOOM so he can bump some gangsta rap. geof is a muthafuckin straight gangsta killa.

god bless.
Not really haha. Just want good sound, is all.

#10 ·
Geof said:
I've got them picked out already, it's just going to take me a little longer to get where I want, as I want to do this all in one install rather than just slowly piecing it together.

MB Quart PCE213s up front
MB Quart RKC110s in back
MTX Audio TX5604 Amp

Sound ok?

Thanks for your input, both of you.
If you can get that stuff for the budget you mentioned, it sounds like a decent start. Are you planning to add a sub (or subs) at all?

#11 ·
#12 ·
Crutchfield is M.A.P. pricing which means minimum advertised price which equals BB, CC, etc pricing. You can get a much better deal locally without the hassles of shipping defective or non-fitting product back and forth. Plus, if you buy and have your product installed by an authorized dealer, in many cases the warranty is much longer. For example, the MB Quart warranty goes from 1 year to 3 years when bought and installed by an authorized dealer.
F Crutchfield.

#13 ·
I'm looking at buying the equipment from woofersetc.com. As far as subs go - no, not going to add one. If the speakers and amp are good enough, they'll pump out as much bass as I need.

#14 ·
never had any probem with crutchfield, they were fast and I usually found them at or lower than anyplace aound here. Free shipping when ordering over $129, no tax, and if there are any kits needed they are included.

everyone has there opinion. I've had good experience so I suggested it. no mattr where, for 5.25 here is a good economincal speaker. can't go wrong with Boston Acoustic
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5YK0AYP76RQ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51800&I=065S55

#15 ·
What's the benefit of having component speakers rather than 2-way coaxials?

#16 ·
Geof said:
What's the benefit of having component speakers rather than 2-way coaxials?
Most companies tend to make their higher quality stuff in a component design, which usually means that their coaxials are the lower end offerings. A lot of coaxials won't come with external passive crossovers, although some do. It also gives you more placement/mounting options.

#17 ·
Geof said:
I'm looking at buying the equipment from woofersetc.com. As far as subs go - no, not going to add one. If the speakers and amp are good enough, they'll pump out as much bass as I need.
Bass is the hardest thing to get out of full range speakers. Even tons of people who run subs and quality components are constantly chasing that elusive midbass. Forget anything really low. You will literally hear more music, maybe stuff you didn't even know was in the song, when you get a sub. I would highly recommend getting at least one 10". It will only compliment your other speakers, and allow you to use them more efficiently.

#18 ·
gota agree with jluv on that one. unless you get some speakers that are made to be stand alone w.o a sub (which wont be most higher end lines) u will not get the results u need and you could end up w. nasty distortion... Components are good but i honestly dont no what the higher end would sound like w.o a sub b.c i always just use the tweeter for highs, the component woofer for more mid/low and the sub for low frequencies... i would assume that the higher end components are designed mainly for more sub applications b.c u cannot have a propper and accurate system when ur trying to squeeze out the necessary mids and the lows in one little 5 inch speaker... shit even a fricken Memphis 8inch for $100 would make a huge ass difference and put that shit in a sealed box and i will prob fit inside the gap between the wheel well in your trunk.

#19 ·
Get some quality speakers for sure. MB quart are good ones. That series will be a little tinny, if your ok with that. As far as buying them online. I wouldnt. MB Quart like many high end man. dont and wont warranty unauthorized dealers. And if they are online, they are unauthorized to sell online. We are MB quart dealers, but cant sell online, or we would lose the line. If I say shipped to Ft. Worth, then I would be shipping into someone elses territory, and against the Man. policy. But if said so customer came to my store from fort worth, then all is good. Its a political and good business sense. Boston is also very nice, and much more rounded in sound. Everyone is right, add some bass and you can really clean that sound up. The amp you choose also makes one of the biggest differences. Zapco, top of the line. But many to choose from. If you just dont want a woofer in the car. Consider doing a Maxbass processor. It will make a huge differnce in the midbass area. Also will do wonders for subs. Check it out at www.wavescaraudio.com
If interested we also stock and sell that. Good luck on whatever you decide.

#20 ·
EW said:
Crutchfield is M.A.P. pricing which means minimum advertised price which equals BB, CC, etc pricing. You can get a much better deal locally without the hassles of shipping defective or non-fitting product back and forth. Plus, if you buy and have your product installed by an authorized dealer, in many cases the warranty is much longer. For example, the MB Quart warranty goes from 1 year to 3 years when bought and installed by an authorized dealer.
F Crutchfield.

Gotta agree with EW on this. Crutchfield is a Car Audio stores best friend. Any shop can match the pricing on CF. And hes right, no hassles with shipping, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.