LoJack vs. Securatrak - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

LoJack vs. Securatrak

What do you guys think? Securatrak has so many advantages over LoJack but the main thing I'm seeing is that LoJack can be handled by the police in the event of a theft. Also LoJack doesn't have monthly or yearly service fees like Securatrak has.

Here are the websites for more info.

http://www.securatrak.com

http://www.lojack.com/

Please post your opinions.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 05:09 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

trackmenow.com
It tells you your car is stolen, alarm going off, etc. With lojack, you have to know it is stolen first. With Intertrak, it is GPS monitored and the Police are called by you about 15 seconds after something happens to your vehicle. Plus, you can control options from your cell phone or the internet such as remote start, unlocking doors, etc.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

So trackmenow.com is a different service from Securatrak? Guess I'm going to go check out there website.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 11:05 AM
Out with your mom

I got LoJack on the C5. Granted your car has to be stolen first, from what I remeber once you get it there is no more money to be spent on it.

Living, the only thing worth dying for.

"It is not what he has which directly expresses the worth of a man, but what he is."- Henri Frederic Amiel

'88 F150, '01 Z71, '85 BMW 745i Turbo,
'79 280S Benz, '85 300SD Benz, '86 420SEL Benz, '87 300SDL Benz
(severely in need of updating, around 14 vehicle current)

I have red hair
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 12:37 AM
TMA
TMA who?

Find out anything on the others Jose?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 01:25 PM
Lifer

Damnit. LoJack is kinda cool. But figure this:

Park your car, go to sleep. Wake up in the morning, get ready to go to work. Walk outside and lo and behold, your ride is GONE. Call LoJack or whatever, report it stolen. They soon find the shell of the car.

Time passed: 10+ hrs
Car Stripped: <10 hrs

Now with a GPS based solution:

Park car. Arm GPS alarm, so if the car moves a few feet, it will set off an alert and call you/police. Wake up when the phone rings, your ride has been jacked, we're sending the police to intercept. Police find the criminals, arrests are made, less carjackers on the street. You get your ride back. Go back to sleep. Wake up in the morning, get ready for work. Walk outside and go to work in your ride.

Granted the GPS solution won't solve the vandalism part of car stuff, that's why you need the batmobile armor stuff, but you should get your car back unharmed, or the thieves will get hurt if they wreck it.

Here's the kicker. Most GPS based solutions that I've seen, the two above include, are a monthly fee with a "number of actions" charge. For 9.99 a month, you're allowed 10 "actions." What constitues an "action?" From securatrak's website:

QUOTE]What constitutes a "use"?
A use is any two-way cellular transmission between you and the service, e.g., a request by you and a confirmation from SecuraTrak. You are billed for a use of the SecuraTrak service each time you set, receive, test, or update an action. Please refer to the menu of services located in the User's Guide or at www.securatrak.net to see what qualifies as a use of the service. To monitor the uses remaining in your subscription plan, visit the Billing History page of the My Account section. [/QUOTE]

So anytime you get info from the car, it costs you.

Intertrak and Securatrak have the same prices as far as the monthly charges are concerned.

I've researched this, and before I knew Intertrak and Securatrak existed, I was designing my own GPS alarm.

The feature I wanted was the ability to flip a switch that enables the GPS alarm. If the car moves at all, it will interface with a paging service and send me a page with location/speed/direction of the vehicle every couple of minutes so I could track the bastads down. I could care less about the horn honk, speed
monitoring and such - although that would be cool. I still fail to see how well that stuff will work in underground parking areas.
It's pretty easy to hook up a GPS unit with a small microcontroller that's interfaced to a two way pager, a couple of switches, or a keypad for coded activation/deactivation. Then the month service charge is just for the two way pager.

I've tried contacting Intertrak for general information, but have yet to recieve a response. I'd be interested in a group purchase for either one of these.

Chambers
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 04:16 PM
Lifer

BTW, what is this doing in the "Car AUDIO Forum?" Should we rename the forum to Car Audio and Security?

Just a thought..

Chambers
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 07:08 PM
I am a Motherfucker

SAY! the only way iz to lock a mean azz PIT up in that beyyatch. And hope it doesnt shit on the interior!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 10:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by FunFordCobra
SAY! the only way iz to lock a mean azz PIT up in that beyyatch. And hope it doesnt shit on the interior!
There is a flaw in that logic. People could still tow the car, or hell, take the wheels. Also, what the hell are you going to do when you need to get back in your car?

Chambers
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Well that explains that smell whenever FunFordCobra is nearby

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 07:29 PM
Time Served

i am installer of tracking systems and i wouldnt go with either. for way cheaper you can get an @road system. you can monitor your car from your own website. the system runs about 500 or so with a 40 dollar a month service fee. its a badass system. i might be able to get you guys a deal on them if interested. if your car gets stolen just go to your website and see where it is. tell the cops and its done easy as that

Henry

00 Excursion PSD tuned and bolt-ons (very quick for 5ton truck )
03 Toyota Prius "MarioKart"
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by 97ssconvertible
i am installer of tracking systems and i wouldnt go with either. for way cheaper you can get an @road system. you can monitor your car from your own website. the system runs about 500 or so with a 40 dollar a month service fee. its a badass system. i might be able to get you guys a deal on them if interested. if your car gets stolen just go to your website and see where it is. tell the cops and its done easy as that

Henry
So what are the advantages?? I mean Securatrak and this other company someone mentioned to me (think it's trackmenow.com?) both offer vehicle tracking with monitoring over the web etc.. Equipement and monthly costs seem comparable to what you are offering. So what are the specific advantages??

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement