Dynamat pics - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Dynamat pics

I found a couple of pics on my camera. Looking back, I wish I had taken a lot more pictures of the progress. It was a pain in the butt doing it all by myself, and not cheap, but well worth it. The entire Explorer was gutted and covered with Dynamat Xtreme, with the only exception being behind the dash itself. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who might be considering it, or anyone who is likely to spend any substantial amount of money on upgrading their car audio system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Lifer

<-- wouldn't do a big system without it! It's amazing how many people will throw hundreds and thousands of dollars, but won't spend a few hundred on dynamat.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:09 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

It's worth every penny. I feel your pain man! My Sonoma took me several hours and it's only a extended cab. I've still got to do the roof!

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 08:03 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Looks great Jared.
<--- Did not do the roof but needs to.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 08:10 AM
WRECKIN' BALL BITCHES!

Location: listening to the box of excuses why fourteen3s million dollar car wont run a number...
SWEET. i need to do the roof on my coupe. you dont by chance have any left youd like to sell do you?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Lifer

Looks badass, how much of a system are you installing.

Men want to have fun, And Women want to walk that fun deep into the woods and shoot it.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Resident Pinstriper

Where's the cheapest place you guys have found to buy this stuff ? Well, I say "cheapest", but I doubt there are any places selling it cheaper than one another, to make a substantial difference.

-Aaron

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbullitt
SWEET. i need to do the roof on my coupe. you dont by chance have any left youd like to sell do you?
I only have a couple square feet left over, which I'm going to hold onto.

Have you done the rest of your coupe? I wish I had pics of the rest of mine. The roof was the last part I did, and after doing everything else, it didn't make a huge noticeable difference, but I figured I might as well finish it up right. The doors helped the most. I did several layers on all four and also the rear hatch. Then I did the floor, sides, pillars, and the backside of most of the plastic panels.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelb303
Looks badass, how much of a system are you installing.
It's going to be a pretty sweet setup when I'm done. I'm doing DVD in the dash, 5.1 surround, active setup in the front, two 15s (right now I'm using 3 10s), dedicated midbass drivers (probably), center channel, 6 amps, playstation 2, etc.

Also on the extended wish list are headrest monitors, navigation, and whatever else I can spend my last hard-earned penny on. The car audio bug has bitten me (again), and I'll probably need an intervention to ever stop, lol.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH
Where's the cheapest place you guys have found to buy this stuff ? Well, I say "cheapest", but I doubt there are any places selling it cheaper than one another, to make a substantial difference.

-Aaron

I buy all of my stuff from Autosound in Bedford, from EW (Eric). He treats me right. You probably won't find Dynamat Xtreme cheaper at any other shop, but it's not cheap, period. There are dozens of other brands for half the price on the web, but a lot of them are junk.

Last edited by jluv; 05-25-2006 at 11:52 AM.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

Damn dude that looks like one hell of a project.

i'll be back in a few weeks. i'd like to check it out.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Lifer

there a company called road kill that makes the same stuff the only yhting i have found anywhere as good as dynomat

half through it where you cusing it, cause when i did my civic i was why the hell did i do this, but the extreme wasnt out then just the regular shit
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsastang80
there a company called road kill that makes the same stuff the only yhting i have found anywhere as good as dynomat

half through it where you cusing it, cause when i did my civic i was why the hell did i do this, but the extreme wasnt out then just the regular shit

Ya, I cussed quite a bit, lol. I neglected to wear gloves in the beginning, so I cut myself up pretty good.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:02 PM
WRECKIN' BALL BITCHES!

Location: listening to the box of excuses why fourteen3s million dollar car wont run a number...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
I only have a couple square feet left over, which I'm going to hold onto.

Have you done the rest of your coupe? I wish I had pics of the rest of mine. The roof was the last part I did, and after doing everything else, it didn't make a huge noticeable difference, but I figured I might as well finish it up right. The doors helped the most. I did several layers on all four and also the rear hatch. Then I did the floor, sides, pillars, and the backside of most of the plastic panels.

i have actually done the bodywork on this car, the roof is slightly flimsy from prior bodywork and putting qpad or dynamat on the backside helps make it less flimsy...it sounds weird but it does work...
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:27 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Doing the roof does make a big difference especially if you're doing big bass plus it helps block heat.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Lifer

Id be curious to how much all the dynamat weighs. If they could come up with a truely light weight sound deadener that would sell like hot cakes. use it to insulate race cars without adding 800lbs (not quite that much but you get the idea).

Anyway, looks good man, I may have to do the ole dodge someday.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason
Id be curious to how much all the dynamat weighs. If they could come up with a truely light weight sound deadener that would sell like hot cakes. use it to insulate race cars without adding 800lbs (not quite that much but you get the idea).

Anyway, looks good man, I may have to do the ole dodge someday.
I've got a little over 200 sq ft, if I remember correctly, and that's about 115 lbs, I believe. And I covered the whole interior and even put some under the hood. That's not too bad, imo.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:31 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
I've got a little over 200 sq ft, if I remember correctly, and that's about 115 lbs, I believe. And I covered the whole interior and even put some under the hood. That's not too bad, imo.
36 sq ft = 20 lbs (including cardboard packaging)
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Ide fuck her in the ass..

i had the audio bug a few yrs back and lined my whole car, it was a pain in the ass, but well worth it...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Lifer

Dynamat I almost used until i found even thicker stuff at Home depot... IT's cheapers and more insulated. by the way ive run 4 15' in my tahoe, 4 12's in my ex cab silverado(rattlebox till i nailed everything and used this stuff)
It WILL CUT ur hands up so use gloves
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
Looks great Jared.
<--- Did not do the roof but needs to.

How many of the big box's would it take to do the whole car. sn95
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Rolling with the homies

I'm just wondering how much does that stuff typicaly weigh down an average vehicle like a Mustang.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiraldo
Dynamat I almost used until i found even thicker stuff at Home depot... IT's cheapers and more insulated. by the way ive run 4 15' in my tahoe, 4 12's in my ex cab silverado(rattlebox till i nailed everything and used this stuff)
It WILL CUT ur hands up so use gloves
Peel 'n' Seel is not better than Dynamat, just FYI.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Time Served

Anyone seen/used the "Fatmat"? A friend of mine bought some and he likes it. But its $89 for like 100sq ft, this seems kinda cheap and you usually get what you pay for.

I have been Thinking about putting two rockford T1 10's possibly in a vented box in my mach, so I will defenitely need some sound dampening...
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
I'm just wondering how much does that stuff typicaly weigh down an average vehicle like a Mustang.

I bet you could thoroughly cover the interior of a Mustang with way less than 100 lbs.

I have a little over 100 lbs on mine, but it's a 4 door Explorer, I covered everything, and I doubled up a lot and put 3 layers on all 4 doors and the rear hatch, and also used several sq ft under the hood.

IMO, weight is not an issue with this stuff. If you add an amp and an average sub box, you've probably added more than you will with dynamat.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 09:45 AM
AHMO!

What amps and components etc are you going with?
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
What amps and components etc are you going with?
(2) PPI A600.2 for the subs
(1) PPI A600 for the front mids
(1) PPI Sedona 50x2 for rear fill
Still need amp for center channel
Still need amp for front tweeters

Most likely Boston Pro60 components up front, ditching the passive crossovers
JL XR 5x7 coaxials in rear doors
For the center, I am considering doing a custom panel in the top center of my dash with a full set of components, maybe Boston Pro 50s.

Midbass drivers and amp are not a sure thing yet. It depends on what kind of sound I get out of the Bostons.

Currrent subs are (3) JL 10w0s, but I want to upgrade to (2) 15s, either 15w3s or Alpine Type Rs.

My deadening and wiring is pretty much all done and waiting, for the most part.

Last edited by jluv; 05-26-2006 at 10:21 AM.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 10:12 AM
AHMO!

If it were me personally, I LOVED the sound of the Dyn Audio components. But really can't go wrong with the Boston's either. Sounds like a great set up.

What about caps/charging system? Running 0 guage wire etc?
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
If it were me personally, I LOVED the sound of the Dyn Audio components. But really can't go wrong with the Boston's either. Sounds like a great set up.

What about caps/charging system? Running 0 guage wire etc?
I've got the Stinger HPM Platinum wiring, 1/0 guage, with lots of sweet accessories. Stock battery and alternator for now. No caps. I'll wait to upgrade the batt/alternator as I need to. The factory stuff has been holding strong with what I already have.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
I bet you could thoroughly cover the interior of a Mustang with way less than 100 lbs.

I have a little over 100 lbs on mine, but it's a 4 door Explorer, I covered everything, and I doubled up a lot and put 3 layers on all 4 doors and the rear hatch, and also used several sq ft under the hood.

IMO, weight is not an issue with this stuff. If you add an amp and an average sub box, you've probably added more than you will with dynamat.
Well on an already heavy convertible anything I can save weight is nice. I'll just have to see how noisy the 'Vert is once I get her rolling again. It got a lot quieter after adding the IRS, I'd like to bring it down maybe a couple of more notches.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Founding Member

So what does 100 pounds of dynamat cost?

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19
So what does 100 pounds of dynamat cost?
I used Dynamat Xtreme. It's sold in different size kits based on square footage, not weight. If you're looking for that much you shoud go with bulk packs.

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_...bulk_paks.html

I bet EW can get you a good price on the stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement