Resonant Engineering? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Resonant Engineering?

http://www.reaudio.com/html/

Maybe I've been living in a hole, but I had never even heard of this brand. I've been lurking on a car audio board lately, and everyone there swears by the stuff. A lot of the serious SPL guys over there are using RE subs, and it seems like everyone is using their XXX line of components. Unfortunately, their website sucks for specs, and I can't find much info about price or dealers. I've been wanting to go with a pair of JL 15w3s and some MB Quarts up front, but I'm curious about how these compare as far as price and sound quality. Anyone have any experience with RE?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Alright well, don't everyone chime in at once!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Lifer

Every experience I've had with them has been good, I actually looked into becoming a dealer a while back. The XXX components are supposed to be great, I intended to order some and give them a listen, but they waited too long to release them.

The XXX is a serious sub, and can give you alot of output and still sound good.

What are you looking for? What type of space are you willing to give up for the enclosure? What type of music do you listen to? etc.

I've PROBABLY still got the dealer pricing around here somewhere, so if a few people wanted to buy some stuff, it could be had for cost.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 07:31 PM
dead

i've never heard them myself but they are supposed to be badass.

id be interested in the component speakers and a 10" sub. let me know "pete."

Last edited by momo stallion; 05-12-2006 at 08:13 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
Every experience I've had with them has been good, I actually looked into becoming a dealer a while back. The XXX components are supposed to be great, I intended to order some and give them a listen, but they waited too long to release them.

The XXX is a serious sub, and can give you alot of output and still sound good.

What are you looking for? What type of space are you willing to give up for the enclosure? What type of music do you listen to? etc.

I've PROBABLY still got the dealer pricing around here somewhere, so if a few people wanted to buy some stuff, it could be had for cost.

In the components, I'm looking for something that can handle 150W and stay really clean while playing at insane volumes. I want as much midbass as possible and enough mids and highs to hang with my subs.

For the subs I really like the JLs, unless there is something out there a lot cheaper that will perform better, but I'm skeptical. I'm going to run a traditional square sealed box towards the larger end of the recommended volume range for whichever subs I choose. It's going in the back of an Explorer so space is not limited. I am in no hurry on this stuff because I've got a decent setup for now to get me by until I pull the trigger. I've got a few other upgrades ahead of this one... just looking ahead.

Do you know where I can find real specs on the RE stuff?

Thanks!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:23 PM
dead

tuned ported boxes pwn sealed!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
In the components, I'm looking for something that can handle 150W and stay really clean while playing at insane volumes. I want as much midbass as possible and enough mids and highs to hang with my subs.
Want in one hand, shit in the other my friend. There is a level of bass at which point no mids and highs will sound really clean, as the pressure inside the car rises, you will have audible distortion. I have never heard the XXX components, but I've heard nothing but good things overall about them, and will likely use a pair in my next build. The motor that is used in them is pretty sweet, so I'm sure they're great performers. As far as midbass goes, I would probably do something like a nice set of kickpanels for your main components, and seal off the inside of your door and use a JL IFB-8 if they still make them, they make a pretty good lower midbass driver, there are other great options aswell.

Quote:
For the subs I really like the JLs, unless there is something out there a lot cheaper that will perform better, but I'm skeptical.
If it's better, why do they have to be alot cheaper? I'm assuming you're talking about the 15w3v2, which isn't made anymore, and the next iteration of it will be a 13" sub from what I gather. Nice subs, but why get 15" subs if you're going to get cheap 15" subs?
Quote:
I'm going to run a traditional square sealed box towards the larger end of the recommended volume range for whichever subs I choose. It's going in the back of an Explorer so space is not limited.
Well, I'm not entirely sure why you are wanting to use a sealed enclosure on subwoofers like these, you are definitely leaving alot of output on the table. Given what you're looking for, a properly designed ported enclosure will 'beat the stuffing' out of that Exploder, and still sound good. You seem like you have good intentions, and have a pretty good idea of what you want, but I get the feeling that you've heard alot of cars that you liked, and heard alot that you didn't like. My guess, is that you've heard a few improperly designed boxes, or ported boxes that were used with a subwoofer that would have been more ideally suited to a sealed box. Most high output "SQL" subs don't fall into that category.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Lifer

Oh, and RE will be happy to furnish you the Thiele Smalls for any of their speakers.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
If it's better, why do they have to be alot cheaper? I'm assuming you're talking about the 15w3v2, which isn't made anymore, and the next iteration of it will be a 13" sub from what I gather. Nice subs, but why get 15" subs if you're going to get cheap 15" subs?
Who said I'm going cheap? I like the 15w3s, and I'm willing to dish out the cash for them, UNLESS there is something that works better for cheaper. If they aren't cheaper, I have no reason to be drawn away from the JLs. I also plan on comparing them to the Alpine Type Rs, which seem to be in the same price range. I don't even know what the REs cost.

Quote:
Well, I'm not entirely sure why you are wanting to use a sealed enclosure on subwoofers like these, you are definitely leaving alot of output on the table.
To each his own. I like sealed. I'm not looking to get more db at a certain frequency. I like the overall sound quality and output of subs in a sealed box.

Quote:
Given what you're looking for...
I don't think you understand what I'm looking for. Again, I plan on running sealed, and I like the sound of JL subs, and the only thing I would be looking for beyond that would be something similar at a lower price point, if it exists. If not, no biggie. Components are the first thing I want to compare, not really subs. I've run JL 10s and 12s, along with other brands, and I just like the way they sound. I've always run sealed, too. I have heard a lot of ported boxes, and lots of them sounded good, and I know they can be tuned to a certain frequency and get more output there, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Quote:
You seem like you have good intentions, and have a pretty good idea of what you want, but I get the feeling that you've heard alot of cars that you liked, and heard alot that you didn't like. My guess, is that you've heard a few improperly designed boxes, or ported boxes that were used with a subwoofer that would have been more ideally suited to a sealed box. Most high output "SQL" subs don't fall into that category.
No offense, but I've been around car audio stuff and have had and heard plenty over the past 15 years. Ported is fine, but it's just not what I like. I'm not looking for anyone to try to convince me otherwise, or help me decide what I want. I was simply asking if anyone had first hand knowledge of the RE stuff, or knew where I could find specs and pricing online. Thanks though.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Merry HoHo

i like the tight hit of a sealed box myself. i would think two high end 12"s would hit plenty hard and play low enough. i prefer 10"s myself. i have one ten, and except for the littl eamp i am using to drive, it sounds good to me, of course i an no audiophile, i just like music.

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Who said I'm going cheap?
I didn't say you were going cheap, but generally, people who buy 15" subs, buy them with the intent of getting a "shit ton" of bass, and a mid level 15" isn't going to perform like most people expect.

Apparently I did misunderstand your desire for volume, no biggie. I would call RE on monday, they've always been very accomodating to me with any questions or issues I've had.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
I didn't say you were going cheap, but generally, people who buy 15" subs, buy them with the intent of getting a "shit ton" of bass, and a mid level 15" isn't going to perform like most people expect.

Apparently I did misunderstand your desire for volume, no biggie. I would call RE on monday, they've always been very accomodating to me with any questions or issues I've had.

Cool. I appreciate it. I like the idea of running an 8 in the door and components in the kicks. I just hate to lose my parking brake or have to reroute it. I don't mind having lots of amps and speakers in my setup. In fact, I'm adding video at the end of this month, and my plan is to do a true 5.1 setup, with a center channel and all. I love smooth, accurate bass in all types of music from rock to rap, but I do want more volume than I am used to with 10s and 12s, but while holding onto as much SQ as possible at the same time. So ya, I'm trying to get the best of both worlds with everything here, lol. I also might want to switch subs later and it would be nice to not have to get a new box each time.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
i like the tight hit of a sealed box myself. i would think two high end 12"s would hit plenty hard and play low enough. i prefer 10"s myself. i have one ten, and except for the littl eamp i am using to drive, it sounds good to me, of course i an no audiophile, i just like music.

I would LOVE to go with 2 12W6s. Or even a pair of W7s. I've got about 600 watts to throw at each. I'm not so sure that's even enough to stretch the legs of the W7, but it doesn't matter anyway, because my wallet isn't that fat.

I've got 3 10W0s now, but they won't handle the power I've got on tap, and I've grown tired of their limits.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Lifer

Quote:
C In fact, I'm adding video at the end of this month, and my plan is to do a true 5.1 setup,
I'm not a big fan of surround sound, most people wish they'd spent the money a different way.
Quote:
I love smooth, accurate bass in all types of music from rock to rap,
have you listened to the 15" w3's?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of surround sound, most people wish they'd spent the money a different way.
I like it at home, and just think it would be badass to have in my Explorer. I'm getting the W200, and my amps don't have crossovers, so I'm going with the PXA-H701 to get the crossover and equalizer functions taken care of. It also does 5.1, so I might as well take advantage. I figure having a center channel will just help my front stage anyway, so I don't feel like I am wasting money anywhere.

Quote:
have you listened to the 15" w3's?
Yes, but not as much as I would like. I'd really like to test them in a sealed enclosure in my truck with the amount of power I am running, back to back with some Type Rs, and maybe some other subs too. I might even give a ported box a whirl if there is one to listen to. Not sure if/how I am going to get that done, lol. I have always been a huge fan of JL subs and I know these will have the rich sound I am used to while hitting lower and and a lot louder than what I have now.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
check Diamond Audio out

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I figure having a center channel will just help my front stage anyway.
Music is recorded in stereo, I just hope that fact isn't eluding you. Sounds like you've got a good idea what you want, I'm sure that you'll end up with a nice system.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Music is recorded in stereo, I just hope that fact isn't eluding you.
Not all of it is, actually. There are some tracks being recorded and released in 5.1, and I think that will become more common over time. Also, I plan on purchasing an assload of concert DVDs. Sure, movies will be nice on road trips (for my passenger, or me when they take the wheel), but when I listen to tunes it will be nice if the expensive ass screen I'm buying doesn't go to waste. Why not watch what I'm hearing, so to speak?

But no, I didn't forget about almost all music being in stereo. But you saying that does provoke an important question. I wonder if the processor I'm buying will allow me to switch from 5.1 to stereo when I listen to CDs and radio. That's what I do with my home system (Onkyo 7.1), and it usually sounds a lot better. But also, I can switch my home system to "all channel stereo", and still get sound from my center channel. I'm assuming it's getting a mixed mono signal. This is what I'd want from my system in my truck. Whether technically realistic or not, I'm sure it will only be a benefit to have sound coming from the center channel, bringing my overall front stage forward and higher. Who knows. Not a lot of people, or at least none that I know of personally, are doing this today, and I like that fact.

<---- headed to Alpine's site to see if if can find out if the PXA-H701 will switch between 5.1/stereo/"all channel stereo".
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Update - the PXA-H701 will do exactly what I want. It can be switched to 2 channel (left and right) or 3 channel (left, right, center). I'm really stoked about this piece.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 09:08 PM
DECH Mustang Expert

Have had the PXA-H701 for a couple years and really love it with my IVA-D300, just remember to buy the fiber optic input cable!!! Get the remote control screen for it if you want all of the functions and easier on the go adjustments, other wise it is a pain to switch eq/x-over settings (even presets) while in motion.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECHman
Have had the PXA-H701 for a couple years and really love it with my IVA-D300, just remember to buy the fiber optic input cable!!! Get the remote control screen for it if you want all of the functions and easier on the go adjustments, other wise it is a pain to switch eq/x-over settings (even presets) while in motion.
I'm going with a double din screen, so I don't have anywhere to put the separate control piece. I'll just have to make do with using the W200's screen. I'm glad to hear that you like it.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:29 AM
Extreme Clean!

jluv - I have a few spare fiber cables if you end up needing one.

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain
jluv - I have a few spare fiber cables if you end up needing one.

Kickass. I'll holler at you when I start putting this all together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement