Resonant Engineering? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Resonant Engineering?

http://www.reaudio.com/html/

Maybe I've been living in a hole, but I had never even heard of this brand. I've been lurking on a car audio board lately, and everyone there swears by the stuff. A lot of the serious SPL guys over there are using RE subs, and it seems like everyone is using their XXX line of components. Unfortunately, their website sucks for specs, and I can't find much info about price or dealers. I've been wanting to go with a pair of JL 15w3s and some MB Quarts up front, but I'm curious about how these compare as far as price and sound quality. Anyone have any experience with RE?
jluv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Alright well, don't everyone chime in at once!
jluv is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Every experience I've had with them has been good, I actually looked into becoming a dealer a while back. The XXX components are supposed to be great, I intended to order some and give them a listen, but they waited too long to release them.

The XXX is a serious sub, and can give you alot of output and still sound good.

What are you looking for? What type of space are you willing to give up for the enclosure? What type of music do you listen to? etc.


I've PROBABLY still got the dealer pricing around here somewhere, so if a few people wanted to buy some stuff, it could be had for cost.
ThreeFingerPete is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 07:31 PM
dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,611
i've never heard them myself but they are supposed to be badass.

id be interested in the component speakers and a 10" sub. let me know "pete."

Last edited by momo stallion; 05-12-2006 at 08:13 PM.
momo stallion is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
Every experience I've had with them has been good, I actually looked into becoming a dealer a while back. The XXX components are supposed to be great, I intended to order some and give them a listen, but they waited too long to release them.

The XXX is a serious sub, and can give you alot of output and still sound good.

What are you looking for? What type of space are you willing to give up for the enclosure? What type of music do you listen to? etc.


I've PROBABLY still got the dealer pricing around here somewhere, so if a few people wanted to buy some stuff, it could be had for cost.

In the components, I'm looking for something that can handle 150W and stay really clean while playing at insane volumes. I want as much midbass as possible and enough mids and highs to hang with my subs.

For the subs I really like the JLs, unless there is something out there a lot cheaper that will perform better, but I'm skeptical. I'm going to run a traditional square sealed box towards the larger end of the recommended volume range for whichever subs I choose. It's going in the back of an Explorer so space is not limited. I am in no hurry on this stuff because I've got a decent setup for now to get me by until I pull the trigger. I've got a few other upgrades ahead of this one... just looking ahead.

Do you know where I can find real specs on the RE stuff?

Thanks!
jluv is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:23 PM
dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,611
tuned ported boxes pwn sealed!
momo stallion is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
In the components, I'm looking for something that can handle 150W and stay really clean while playing at insane volumes. I want as much midbass as possible and enough mids and highs to hang with my subs.
Want in one hand, shit in the other my friend. There is a level of bass at which point no mids and highs will sound really clean, as the pressure inside the car rises, you will have audible distortion. I have never heard the XXX components, but I've heard nothing but good things overall about them, and will likely use a pair in my next build. The motor that is used in them is pretty sweet, so I'm sure they're great performers. As far as midbass goes, I would probably do something like a nice set of kickpanels for your main components, and seal off the inside of your door and use a JL IFB-8 if they still make them, they make a pretty good lower midbass driver, there are other great options aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
For the subs I really like the JLs, unless there is something out there a lot cheaper that will perform better, but I'm skeptical.
If it's better, why do they have to be alot cheaper? I'm assuming you're talking about the 15w3v2, which isn't made anymore, and the next iteration of it will be a 13" sub from what I gather. Nice subs, but why get 15" subs if you're going to get cheap 15" subs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
I'm going to run a traditional square sealed box towards the larger end of the recommended volume range for whichever subs I choose. It's going in the back of an Explorer so space is not limited.
Well, I'm not entirely sure why you are wanting to use a sealed enclosure on subwoofers like these, you are definitely leaving alot of output on the table. Given what you're looking for, a properly designed ported enclosure will 'beat the stuffing' out of that Exploder, and still sound good. You seem like you have good intentions, and have a pretty good idea of what you want, but I get the feeling that you've heard alot of cars that you liked, and heard alot that you didn't like. My guess, is that you've heard a few improperly designed boxes, or ported boxes that were used with a subwoofer that would have been more ideally suited to a sealed box. Most high output "SQL" subs don't fall into that category.
ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Oh, and RE will be happy to furnish you the Thiele Smalls for any of their speakers.
ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
If it's better, why do they have to be alot cheaper? I'm assuming you're talking about the 15w3v2, which isn't made anymore, and the next iteration of it will be a 13" sub from what I gather. Nice subs, but why get 15" subs if you're going to get cheap 15" subs?
Who said I'm going cheap? I like the 15w3s, and I'm willing to dish out the cash for them, UNLESS there is something that works better for cheaper. If they aren't cheaper, I have no reason to be drawn away from the JLs. I also plan on comparing them to the Alpine Type Rs, which seem to be in the same price range. I don't even know what the REs cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
Well, I'm not entirely sure why you are wanting to use a sealed enclosure on subwoofers like these, you are definitely leaving alot of output on the table.
To each his own. I like sealed. I'm not looking to get more db at a certain frequency. I like the overall sound quality and output of subs in a sealed box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
Given what you're looking for...
I don't think you understand what I'm looking for. Again, I plan on running sealed, and I like the sound of JL subs, and the only thing I would be looking for beyond that would be something similar at a lower price point, if it exists. If not, no biggie. Components are the first thing I want to compare, not really subs. I've run JL 10s and 12s, along with other brands, and I just like the way they sound. I've always run sealed, too. I have heard a lot of ported boxes, and lots of them sounded good, and I know they can be tuned to a certain frequency and get more output there, but that's not what I'm looking for.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
You seem like you have good intentions, and have a pretty good idea of what you want, but I get the feeling that you've heard alot of cars that you liked, and heard alot that you didn't like. My guess, is that you've heard a few improperly designed boxes, or ported boxes that were used with a subwoofer that would have been more ideally suited to a sealed box. Most high output "SQL" subs don't fall into that category.
No offense, but I've been around car audio stuff and have had and heard plenty over the past 15 years. Ported is fine, but it's just not what I like. I'm not looking for anyone to try to convince me otherwise, or help me decide what I want. I was simply asking if anyone had first hand knowledge of the RE stuff, or knew where I could find specs and pricing online. Thanks though.
jluv is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Merry HoHo
 
SNEAKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: User Id: 30310 Name: SneakyDaPimp
Posts: 32,791
i like the tight hit of a sealed box myself. i would think two high end 12"s would hit plenty hard and play low enough. i prefer 10"s myself. i have one ten, and except for the littl eamp i am using to drive, it sounds good to me, of course i an no audiophile, i just like music.

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
SNEAKY is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Who said I'm going cheap?
I didn't say you were going cheap, but generally, people who buy 15" subs, buy them with the intent of getting a "shit ton" of bass, and a mid level 15" isn't going to perform like most people expect.

Apparently I did misunderstand your desire for volume, no biggie. I would call RE on monday, they've always been very accomodating to me with any questions or issues I've had.
ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
I didn't say you were going cheap, but generally, people who buy 15" subs, buy them with the intent of getting a "shit ton" of bass, and a mid level 15" isn't going to perform like most people expect.

Apparently I did misunderstand your desire for volume, no biggie. I would call RE on monday, they've always been very accomodating to me with any questions or issues I've had.

Cool. I appreciate it. I like the idea of running an 8 in the door and components in the kicks. I just hate to lose my parking brake or have to reroute it. I don't mind having lots of amps and speakers in my setup. In fact, I'm adding video at the end of this month, and my plan is to do a true 5.1 setup, with a center channel and all. I love smooth, accurate bass in all types of music from rock to rap, but I do want more volume than I am used to with 10s and 12s, but while holding onto as much SQ as possible at the same time. So ya, I'm trying to get the best of both worlds with everything here, lol. I also might want to switch subs later and it would be nice to not have to get a new box each time.
jluv is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
i like the tight hit of a sealed box myself. i would think two high end 12"s would hit plenty hard and play low enough. i prefer 10"s myself. i have one ten, and except for the littl eamp i am using to drive, it sounds good to me, of course i an no audiophile, i just like music.

I would LOVE to go with 2 12W6s. Or even a pair of W7s. I've got about 600 watts to throw at each. I'm not so sure that's even enough to stretch the legs of the W7, but it doesn't matter anyway, because my wallet isn't that fat.

I've got 3 10W0s now, but they won't handle the power I've got on tap, and I've grown tired of their limits.
jluv is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
C In fact, I'm adding video at the end of this month, and my plan is to do a true 5.1 setup,
I'm not a big fan of surround sound, most people wish they'd spent the money a different way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
I love smooth, accurate bass in all types of music from rock to rap,
have you listened to the 15" w3's?
ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
I'm not a big fan of surround sound, most people wish they'd spent the money a different way.
I like it at home, and just think it would be badass to have in my Explorer. I'm getting the W200, and my amps don't have crossovers, so I'm going with the PXA-H701 to get the crossover and equalizer functions taken care of. It also does 5.1, so I might as well take advantage. I figure having a center channel will just help my front stage anyway, so I don't feel like I am wasting money anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
have you listened to the 15" w3's?
Yes, but not as much as I would like. I'd really like to test them in a sealed enclosure in my truck with the amount of power I am running, back to back with some Type Rs, and maybe some other subs too. I might even give a ported box a whirl if there is one to listen to. Not sure if/how I am going to get that done, lol. I have always been a huge fan of JL subs and I know these will have the rich sound I am used to while hitting lower and and a lot louder than what I have now.
jluv is offline  
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Rockin' da fumanchu
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 7,224
check Diamond Audio out





Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Tx Redneck is offline  
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
I figure having a center channel will just help my front stage anyway.
Music is recorded in stereo, I just hope that fact isn't eluding you. Sounds like you've got a good idea what you want, I'm sure that you'll end up with a nice system.
ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete
Music is recorded in stereo, I just hope that fact isn't eluding you.
Not all of it is, actually. There are some tracks being recorded and released in 5.1, and I think that will become more common over time. Also, I plan on purchasing an assload of concert DVDs. Sure, movies will be nice on road trips (for my passenger, or me when they take the wheel), but when I listen to tunes it will be nice if the expensive ass screen I'm buying doesn't go to waste. Why not watch what I'm hearing, so to speak?

But no, I didn't forget about almost all music being in stereo. But you saying that does provoke an important question. I wonder if the processor I'm buying will allow me to switch from 5.1 to stereo when I listen to CDs and radio. That's what I do with my home system (Onkyo 7.1), and it usually sounds a lot better. But also, I can switch my home system to "all channel stereo", and still get sound from my center channel. I'm assuming it's getting a mixed mono signal. This is what I'd want from my system in my truck. Whether technically realistic or not, I'm sure it will only be a benefit to have sound coming from the center channel, bringing my overall front stage forward and higher. Who knows. Not a lot of people, or at least none that I know of personally, are doing this today, and I like that fact.


<---- headed to Alpine's site to see if if can find out if the PXA-H701 will switch between 5.1/stereo/"all channel stereo".
jluv is offline  
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Update - the PXA-H701 will do exactly what I want. It can be switched to 2 channel (left and right) or 3 channel (left, right, center). I'm really stoked about this piece.
jluv is offline  
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 09:08 PM
DECH Mustang Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 46
Have had the PXA-H701 for a couple years and really love it with my IVA-D300, just remember to buy the fiber optic input cable!!! Get the remote control screen for it if you want all of the functions and easier on the go adjustments, other wise it is a pain to switch eq/x-over settings (even presets) while in motion.
DECHman is offline  
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by DECHman
Have had the PXA-H701 for a couple years and really love it with my IVA-D300, just remember to buy the fiber optic input cable!!! Get the remote control screen for it if you want all of the functions and easier on the go adjustments, other wise it is a pain to switch eq/x-over settings (even presets) while in motion.
I'm going with a double din screen, so I don't have anywhere to put the separate control piece. I'll just have to make do with using the W200's screen. I'm glad to hear that you like it.
jluv is offline  
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:29 AM
Extreme Clean!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grammar Gestapo
Posts: 4,965
jluv - I have a few spare fiber cables if you end up needing one.

Samhain is offline  
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain
jluv - I have a few spare fiber cables if you end up needing one.

Kickass. I'll holler at you when I start putting this all together.
jluv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome