12V Issues, please help! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Unhappy 12V Issues, please help!

Hey folks,

I have extensive experience with car audio and installs and such. BUT I think I finally came across my match: My 2000 V6 with factory amp.

I recently installed an Alpine deck to replace the crummy factory HU, I still wasn't satisfied with the sound so I ordered some Infinity Reference speakers to replace the recyclable (paper) factory ones. While waiting for the speakers to arrive, I found out that even though my car does NOT have MACH460, it still has a factory amp, another reason why the new Alpine HU didn't sound up to par. The speakers finally get here and I decide "what the hell" let's run brand new wire (monster) directly from the new deck's harness to each speaker location to completely bypass the factory amp and for a slightly better signal quality.

After hours of removing carpet and interior panels, wiring, soldering and then putting everything back together; when I re-attach the new deck to its wiring harness....... NOTHING No power.

My question is... does the factory amp regulate whether the headunit get 12V power or not? Since there's no signal running through it anymore? OR is there a fuse for the power line that goes to the HU?

I stuck a test wire with a small light bulb on the battery (+) and the ground (-) leads of the car's radio harness and got nothing... just for shits, I tested directly at the battery and got light. Everything else on the car works perfect still.

Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Lifer

where was the factory amp, unless you removed it it should still work. i know from when i was doing car audio some mustang had by pass plugs farther back in the dash. if it doesnt work hard wire it back in. does the ign. not work or constant?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsastang80
where was the factory amp, unless you removed it it should still work. i know from when i was doing car audio some mustang had by pass plugs farther back in the dash. if it doesnt work hard wire it back in. does the ign. not work or constant?
Well, I haven't touched the factory amp... I don't even know where it's at!
All I did was run new wires directly to the speakers and snip-off the harness that carries the 4 channel signal from the HU to the amp.

I haven't tried to hardwire the whole thing because I already know that the 12V power cable (green with black stripe) doesn't give me any current right now, hence, the headunit won't power up... I even plugged in the factory HU and it won't power up either.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Lifer

DONT GET OFFENED did you check the fuses?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Lifer

i could be wrong its possible im a little rusty but last time i check that was the ground wire black with green stripe? i think its a yellow with a blue or something?
but like i said i havent been doing it in about 2 years still on the side but not every day
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Honestly, I haven't checked the fuses, because to my knowledge, there isn't a fuse that covers just the radio.

And about the ground cable, you're correct, black with green stripe is ground and green with black stripe is 12V+ constant.

I'll give the fuses a check tonight.

Thanks for your input.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 11:34 PM
bottle baby

there are fuses in the car that may run your cig. lighter, dome light, "audio", etc... that can be tied in with the radio. check your fuses. if not run a new wires to your ignition harness
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 10:18 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

IIRC, the old style factory harnesses which bypass the amp are on the right side of the dash inside the dash bezel. Unsnap them from the dash and plug in the new harness.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Lifer

well what was it man

OK to everyone always always check your fuses just cause its not labled something doesnt mean it does effect it this save time a head aches later trust me

Last edited by needsastang80; 05-09-2006 at 03:02 PM. Reason: info
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

UPDATE:

Well, all fuses are in working condition, so they are out of the question. I ran a test wire using the 12V+ and the ground- from the cigarette lighter to the radio's harness, and BAM! fired right up... I took apart most of the center console and:
1)Discovered that the factory amp is located right under the center console, directly forward of the shifter opening. It still gets power (did the lightbulb test).
2)I meticulously exposed ALL the wires that came to the factory HU/CD player to see if there was a rupture or kink... and I found nothing; neither HU nor CD player lines had any power, and for no apparent reason.

So, I decided to just steal the power and ground from the cigarette lighter, since I never use it anyways.

Thanks everybody for your help.

PS. And for anyone in the future who might have a similar problem, this can be helpful: SN95 FuseBox Diagram
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Extreme Clean!

<-------- Pounds head on desk

All you had to do was follow EW's instructions...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement