installing subs and amp - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
BANNED
 
Pro88LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Frisco
Posts: 8,348
installing subs and amp

into 95 gt with mach 460 stereo, and aftermarket deck......what needs to be done?

Pro88LX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: dallas
Posts: 318
power wire from battery to amp, ground the amp, red and black signal wires from head unit to amp, att (blue?) wire from amp to head unit. then wire the + and - from sub to amp.
Thats the best that I can remember doing it. pretty simple.


Last edited by richs5.0vert; 04-26-2006 at 03:54 PM.
richs5.0vert is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
BANNED
 
Pro88LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Frisco
Posts: 8,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by richs5.0vert
power wire from battery to amp, ground the amp, red and black signal wires from head unit to amp, att (blue?) wire from amp to head unit. then wire the + and - from sub to amp.
Thats the best that I can remember doing it. pretty simple.
yea thats what i thought, but some stereo shop i wnt to today told me they need to bypass the stock amp.etc etc, and they wanted like 300 additional for custom labor....i was arguing with him about it for like 5 minutes, then finally decided he was an idiot, so i left. I just wanted to make sure i wasnt the idiot lol

Pro88LX is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 563
install

yeah I was told the same thing, if you are going to use the stock stereo it is super easy, just use a rca converter and catch the output wires before the factory amp. if you are using an aftermarker stereo you will have to adjust the line output or you will get a doucle amplification effect PIA.
M
GREENMAN is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 02:19 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,391
There are various different ways to hook up a sub and amp depending on what equipment you want to install. If you get an amp that has high level inputs you can probably tap into either the front 2 or rear 2 speaker leads to get the input to the amp, or you can buy speaker level to RCA level adapters to use with amps that dont have speaker (high) level inputs. I found that my stock GMC CD player didnt have a switched +12v lead to turn on an amp nor did it have low level outputs so I had to take it apart and solder a switched power lead into it and then I had to wire in a speaker level to RCA adapter to hook up my crossover and amp. If you have separate amps in your car it prolly has the switched power lead so that will make it easier. Im sure there are adapters available to do just what you are wanting to do also floating all over the internet. If you need some tips or help send me a PM and I'll see if I can help. Installing is something I've done for years and years as a hobby.

FUCK Canada
ram57ta is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
BANNED
 
Pro88LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Frisco
Posts: 8,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta
There are various different ways to hook up a sub and amp depending on what equipment you want to install. If you get an amp that has high level inputs you can probably tap into either the front 2 or rear 2 speaker leads to get the input to the amp, or you can buy speaker level to RCA level adapters to use with amps that dont have speaker (high) level inputs. I found that my stock GMC CD player didnt have a switched +12v lead to turn on an amp nor did it have low level outputs so I had to take it apart and solder a switched power lead into it and then I had to wire in a speaker level to RCA adapter to hook up my crossover and amp. If you have separate amps in your car it prolly has the switched power lead so that will make it easier. Im sure there are adapters available to do just what you are wanting to do also floating all over the internet. If you need some tips or help send me a PM and I'll see if I can help. Installing is something I've done for years and years as a hobby.
well i have an aftermarket deck that has 3 sets of preouts, so i was thinking the amp will just get the signal from there

Pro88LX is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 816
i have heard from people that really do know what they are talkin about say how not bypassing your factory amp can cause your headunit and or amp to burn up... i personally think its bullshit unless you are going to put in a compitition system or sumtin (prob over like 2000 watts or so...) but for an everyday setup its not necessary... you can also just put in you blue accesory cable into you fuse box under your steering wheel... on the cover for the fuses there should be a diagram that tells u wut shit does... you just find the one that says "radio" or "12v radio" or sumtin like that and shove the wire in there. Thats how alota professionals do it and thats how i do it alot and it works well... best thing would be to use the ignition wire that is going into the headunit however and yes, use the outputs on the headunit!!! i can put it in for really cheap and no bs lol... pm me if u got any questions....
NeedleSharp is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
BANNED
 
Pro88LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Frisco
Posts: 8,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleSharp
i have heard from people that really do know what they are talkin about say how not bypassing your factory amp can cause your headunit and or amp to burn up... i personally think its bullshit unless you are going to put in a compitition system or sumtin (prob over like 2000 watts or so...) but for an everyday setup its not necessary... you can also just put in you blue accesory cable into you fuse box under your steering wheel... on the cover for the fuses there should be a diagram that tells u wut shit does... you just find the one that says "radio" or "12v radio" or sumtin like that and shove the wire in there. Thats how alota professionals do it and thats how i do it alot and it works well... best thing would be to use the ignition wire that is going into the headunit however and yes, use the outputs on the headunit!!! i can put it in for really cheap and no bs lol... pm me if u got any questions....
you wanna come out to cali to do it???? lol thats where im living for the next year ......thanks for the good info!!!!!

Pro88LX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome