Alt Whine - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Alt Whine

Alright, I've had alt. whine for a while now. I just put in an amp, which just makes the whine more annoying now.

The whine was there before I put in the amp, so I know it's not the amp. I used Top of the line RCA's.

I saw on crutchfield on the page with the alt suppresor, it says the alt whine could be corrected by properly grounding the receiver. (Also, the reviews for the alt suppresor say it's a POS)

Seeing as how I just used the ground in the wiring harness: would it be worth the effort of pulling everything out of the dash to run a ground to the chassis from the head unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 09:10 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Yes. Also, some products just don't like each other and you will have noise. Inferior product=noise.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
Yes. Also, some products just don't like each other and you will have noise. Inferior product=noise.
Yeah, that's why I bought all top of line Stinger wires.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 09:43 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

The best wires in the world won't stop interference if they are ran next to "noisy" components or cables. I've had a bass control knob for a sub amp cause a whine on the mid/highs before because it was sitting too close to a capacitor. It's not even in the signal path but introduced a nasty whine.

Make sure all the RCAs are plugged in properly and that they aren't contacting the power cable. Make sure the antenna is grounded properly and as a last resort the alternator itself can introduce noise if one of the diodes is going out.

Of course it could also be the ground wire or even the power leads causing the noise. Like EW said though, if the components are crap then that alone could be the source.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Make sure the antenna is grounded properly
A fender mounted antenna (on a '92 Chevy truck) is basically going to be grounded to the fender, correct?

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960

Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.

Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill

The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 01:45 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8
A fender mounted antenna (on a '92 Chevy truck) is basically going to be grounded to the fender, correct?
Yeah unless it's rusted like a bitch. Another thing on those trucks is the goofy antenna adapters, sometimes they come unplugged partially and it's real easy for the extra cable to get into contact with "noisy" wiring in the dash. Not sure why GM decided to go with the tiny antenna plugs on their trucks

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Extreme Clean!

Maston, you're welcome to come by this weekend and I can get you fixed up. I'm in FW near Hurst now. PM me if you are interested.
Jeff

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Extreme Clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Not sure why GM decided to go with the tiny antenna plugs on their trucks

My guess would be space, like on the 94 and under trucks with the tuner, controls, and tape in different places. Just a guess...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement