Where do I get the proper harness? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
The first, the original

Question Where do I get the proper harness?

Evidently this isn't as easy as people thought it would be. The advice hasn't really matched my problem. My 93 LX vert has the factory amp under the passenger seat. Its not behind the dash as was suggested. I haven't found an installation kit that addresses bypassing this amp. I cannot make my aftermarket system work with this amp and I have not found the proper plugs or instructions that tell how to bypass the amp. What I have found is refering to a coupe or hatch with the amp behind the stereo in the dash. Since the amp is much further away from the stereo, some type of extension must be used. How can I bypass the amp properly? The amp has one very small blue cable that runs from the stereo to it. The other plug is an unusual looking black plug with color coded wires that do not match the regular speaker wire colors (gray, Gray/black, green, green/black, white, white/black, purple, purple/black.).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 10:04 AM
I am a Motherfucker

You can just use the amp in your aftermarket raido. Youll have to re run all the wires up front though.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
The first, the original

Quote:
Originally posted by FunFordCobra
You can just use the amp in your aftermarket raido. Youll have to re run all the wires up front though.
Been there, tried that. Doesn't work. I know I am getting a signal out from the aftermarket unit, but it does not work with the amp.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 02:44 PM
I am a Motherfucker

If the amp is comming on, and everything is wired up correctly, its gotta be a rca input/out put prob with the raido.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
The first, the original

Quote:
Originally posted by FunFordCobra
If the amp is comming on, and everything is wired up correctly, its gotta be a rca input/out put prob with the raido.
There in is the problem. This stereo does not have RCA pre-amp connections except for the rear only and there is no way to hook RCA connectors to this factory amp.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 03:43 PM
Lifer

I spent a couple of hours working out the "ditch the factory amp" problem in my '91 a while back. It shouldn't be that big of a deal to get a multimeter, hook it up to the speaker outputs on the car and find which connector on the amp they connect to. This will then become your speaker connector. You can then use that to wire your head unit. Or you can take apart the factory amp, and figure out what the inputs are to it, and wire into those.

Where in Garland are you located?

Chambers
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 03:46 PM
Lifer

See this thread:

Speaker Wiring

Chambers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement