car alarm - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

car alarm

I was looking into getting a car alarm with a remote starter, but I realize the alarm is only as good as the person who installs it. The last car alarm I had was just hanging and any theft could have disable it. I understand the basic of how an alarm, but I want to know what are some good qualities to keep in mind when searching for an alarm? What are some questions to ask when getting the alarm installed? There is one question I don't understand about an alarm. If the power to the alarm is cut off can you still turn on the car? If so what can you do differently?

Tlok, 4.10 Gears, CAI, Diablo Tuner, Port Upper Intake, Dual Exhaust, and 42% Pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 07:25 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

EW is the man to talk to.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 08:43 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverstang
I was looking into getting a car alarm with a remote starter, but I realize the alarm is only as good as the person who installs it. The last car alarm I had was just hanging and any theft could have disable it. I understand the basic of how an alarm, but I want to know what are some good qualities to keep in mind when searching for an alarm? What are some questions to ask when getting the alarm installed? There is one question I don't understand about an alarm. If the power to the alarm is cut off can you still turn on the car? If so what can you do differently?
On 99% of the alarms on the market, you can just cut the main power wire to the alarm or pull the main fues to the alarm and it is fully diasbled. At that point it is as if there is no alarm on the car. However, Clifford G5 models use a selectable normally open/normally closed starter kill and ignition kill relay. If you select normally open, then the kills are still engaged when there is no power to the alarm. The other alarms can be wired this way but most people do not have it done. One other issue is that 99% of alarms have a momentary push button as an override. Break the column, turn on ignition, press button, alarms stops, drive away. Clifford G5 had a plain view coded valet switch. You select the code and only you will be able to disarm the alarm by turning on the ignition and typing the code. This is the best type of valet code/switch I have seen. Some alarms allow you to program the momentary switch for 1-5 presses or you can select any momentary switch in the car as an override or you can choose not to install a valet switch (not good IMO).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement