Big speakers, minimum space - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Big speakers, minimum space

Alright. I'm about to get pissed, and throw away the idea of putting in another system. One place says "Sure you can do it", then the next tells me it's not possible at all. More than one place has said it's possible, however the majority tells me I can't get anything bigger than a 10" speaker in it.

Rundown - 2004 Crew Cab Silverado

I have two JL 12W3D4's. I *want* 12W6's. Nothing is installed in the vehicle currently. The speakers I have came out of my last truck. I refuse to do a bed cut, or permanently remove my rear seat. If I have to raise it up a bit, that's fine. But it's not coming out, and I'm not cutting in to the truck.

Obviously, there isn't any room to go behind the back seat. The only other place to put them is under the rear seat. EW, Adam, anyone else know if the speakers will fit under the seat? Also, what could be done to maximize air space? Extend the box up behind the rear seat? I don't want it to stick out from under the seat, or at the very least be as minimal as possible.

I'm tired of hearing "Just get some 10's." If I wanted 10's, I would already have them in there. I don't like the sound of them, as the bass doesn't get deep enough. I won't settle for just one 12. But I'm also tired of being told that what I want is "No Problem!!" by people who probably aren't qualified to replace spark plug wires, much less install exactly what I want, the way I want it. I'd be REALLY pissed if I made arrangements for another vehicle, etc to get this installed; have some dumbass rip my shit apart, cut this & that and then realize he can't do it.

Any input is greatly appreciated, as long as your input doesn't consist of "Just get some 10's!"

I really prefer to do the installation (with the exception of building the box, and raising my seat, or whatever it takes to get the box in) myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 04:35 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

First, just get some 10's.
Second, 12W6's are 12 years old (at least) and no longer made.
Third, there is room behind the seat, but it is less than ideal airspace volume for 12W3's. However, the 12W1v2 might fit. Still a little low on airspace but ok.
AN enclosure behind the seat requires removing all the little metal tabs, the bolt for jack tools, folding panels, plastic air vents, etc. Time consuming for sure.
Amps need to go under the seat. Deep bass requires correct/larger volume of air for the woofers. 15's in half a cube aren't going to play low.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 04:58 PM
How you doin'

here ya go...just get subs to match.

http://www.supercrewsound.com/shop/detail/11/69.htm

i used their single 10" box in my wife's '04 ford, and it worked out really well...sounds good and looks good.

brad

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
Second, 12W6's are 12 years old (at least) and no longer made.
15's in half a cube aren't going to play low.
I should have specified the 12W6V2. I know the v1's aren't available. Are you saying the v2's have been discontinued? Plenty of stores have them...

AutoSound in Irving looked at my truck last night, and the space we have to work with. Seems my only option with them is to have them build a custom box, that will run from the dash to the bottom of the back seat. That would be fine, but they want $900 + materials for the box. I promptly told them to get fucked and left. I have an idea of how that would work, and think I might try to build it myself if I can't find anyone to build it for a reasonable price.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:24 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Yeah, W6v2's are available but you will have to do something wild for them to fit. $900 is cheap IMO for an enclosure you're describing especially if the final product looked nice.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW

I can't even fit the only 10's worth a shit, IMO. There is not enough depth to fit the 10w6v2's, according to your counterpart in Irving. I REALLY don't like the sound of 10's. Every set I've ever heard has sounded like complete ass, with the exception of one. And he had 6 10w6's in a Probe. Adam made the comment, "You've never heard them done right." That's definitely possible. But how likely is it that 15+ systems using 10" subs were ALL done incorrectly?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:32 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGGT40
here ya go...just get subs to match.

http://www.supercrewsound.com/shop/detail/11/69.htm

i used their single 10" box in my wife's '04 ford, and it worked out really well...sounds good and looks good.

brad
I bet woofers mounted that low will hit the metal bracing at the bottom of the seat. Of couse, you can cut that bracing out. If you still have to remove the plastic vents, why did they design the box to go up on each side? .7cu ft is great for most 12".
12W6v2=1.25cu ft sealed

Last edited by EW; 09-14-2005 at 09:40 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop
according to your counterpart in Irving.
Not affiliated in any way with Irving location.
I love the W6v2 drivers. You just don't have an ideal vehicle for them. No big deal. You just have to go another route or get really creative/expensive.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
$900 is cheap IMO for an enclosure you're describing especially if the final product looked nice.

That might be. I'm just not willing to pay someone that friggin much to do something I can attempt myself for free. I don't know what the going rates for custom boxes are these days, but that's fucking OUTRAGEOUS IMO. They've done that box before. So what exactly about it costs $900 for labor? R & R some bolts? Cut some wood, and lay some carpet? It would be understandable if it had never been done, and most of that time was spent taking measurements. I'm about to run out and take some measurements, and play around on CAD for the rest of the day. I honestly think I can come up with a design myself, and I'll go get the materials for no more than a third of the cost. That way I'm not out a grand or more on a box that could potentially look like a bucket of fried assholes.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
Not affiliated in any way with Irving location.

So is AutoSound like a franchise thing, or what?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:44 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
That might be. I'm just not willing to pay someone that friggin much to do something I can attempt myself for free. I don't know what the going rates for custom boxes are these days, but that's fucking OUTRAGEOUS IMO. They've done that box before. So what exactly about it costs $900 for labor? R & R some bolts? Cut some wood, and lay some carpet? It would be understandable if it had never been done, and most of that time was spent taking measurements. I'm about to run out and take some measurements, and play around on CAD for the rest of the day. I honestly think I can come up with a design myself, and I'll go get the materials for no more than a third of the cost. That way I'm not out a grand or more on a box that could potentially look like a bucket of fried assholes.
Car Audio is a business.
Most shops charge something like $50/hour for labor. That enclosure would take around 2 days to do. 9hr/day x $50=$450x2 days=$900. A wacky shaped enclosure that looked nice would be very time consuming. If it was easy, everyone would have a killer enclosure in their car.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:47 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
So is AutoSound like a franchise thing, or what?
No. Long story but, the Bedford shop was first. Then a guy in Denton started a company with a similar name and opened 7 stores. About 10 years ago, we were buying partners with him but have not been for 7-8 years. Most of the other Autosound stores have closed or been sold off to other owners. This shop has always had the same owner.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
Car Audio is a business.
Most shops charge something like $50/hour for labor. That enclosure would take around 2 days to do. 9hr/day x $50=$450x2 days=$900. A wacky shaped enclosure that looked nice would be very time consuming. If it was easy, everyone would have a killer enclosure in their car.

I never said it was easy. But if this is a system they have done before, in another truck EXACTLY like mine, they already have measurements, etc. All the headache/guesswork has been done. So what about it takes two days? You're not going to make me believe it takes two days to cut some wood and get the box together.... And if car audio is anything like auto repair, about 3 hours tops are really spent on labor. But you pay for all of it, even if it doesn't take two days to do it.

My next question is this. What 10's that are worth a shit will fit under there? Most boxes I have found have a mounting depth of 5 3/4" roughly. The only halfass decent 10" subs I know of are all more deep than that. This is going to suck more than a whore on nickel night if I have to go with some pile of shit amp to push 2 plain jane 10w1 subs. If that's the case, I won't even waste my time, energy, or money.....
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
No. Long story but, the Bedford shop was first. Then a guy in Denton started a company with a similar name and opened 7 stores. About 10 years ago, we were buying partners with him but have not been for 7-8 years. Most of the other Autosound stores have closed or been sold off to other owners. This shop has always had the same owner.

Gotcha. I thought it was a Corporate deal until you mentioned you were not affiliated in any way. All of the decent people around I used to know, or know of, are no longer open, not in the business anymore, or have been replaced by people with the talent and knowledge of a Wal Mart cashier. At least that's the impression I get from the people I've run in to in car audio stores in the last month or so.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Adam made the comment, "You've never heard them done right." That's definitely possible. But how likely is it that 15+ systems using 10" subs were ALL done incorrectly?
YES. it's very very likely. If you see the number of installs every day that I see, you would be amazed at the foolish things that people do.

honestly, 2 10/12W1-4 on an e1400d would beat it up in that truck, nothing crazy, but a hell of alot better than nothing.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:32 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadWagon
YES. it's very very likely. If you see the number of installs every day that I see, you would be amazed at the foolish things that people do.

honestly, 2 10/12W1-4 on an e1400d would beat it up in that truck, nothing crazy, but a hell of alot better than nothing.
Heh, there is an echo. Did 04 chev crew cab w/2-10W1v2 on excelon amp last week. Doing 2-10W1v2 in 05 chev crew cab on 500/5 today.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
That shouldn't surprise me. Some of the idiots I come across on a daily basis shouldn't be allowed oxygen. lmao

Quote:
I could be reading what you posted wrong. By "2 10/12W1-4" do you mean w1-w4 or did you mean 2 10" or 12" w1 4 ohm?

I have 2 12w3v1's from my last truck. I wouldn't mind using those, or stepping up to the v2's. But I thought you told me 2 12" subs were not possible under the seat, no matter what series they were. In other words, can I use the speakers I have?

If I can't do 12's at all, I guess three 10w3's is out of the question? What about 3 10w1's?

I've been told so many different things, by so many different people I'm losing track....

And thanks for both of ya'lls input.

Last edited by bcoop; 09-14-2005 at 12:58 PM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 03:52 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
That shouldn't surprise me. Some of the idiots I come across on a daily basis shouldn't be allowed oxygen. lmao

I could be reading what you posted wrong. By "2 10/12W1-4" do you mean w1-w4 or did you mean 2 10" or 12" w1 4 ohm?

I have 2 12w3v1's from my last truck. I wouldn't mind using those, or stepping up to the v2's. But I thought you told me 2 12" subs were not possible under the seat, no matter what series they were. In other words, can I use the speakers I have?

If I can't do 12's at all, I guess three 10w3's is out of the question? What about 3 10w1's?

I've been told so many different things, by so many different people I'm losing track....

And thanks for both of ya'lls input.
He means 2-10W1v2 10" or 2-12W1v2 12". They are the replacement for the W0 line. Very slim, better sound, better build quality, and better power handling than W0. The largest internal volume enclosure I've done is 1.59cu ft total. Pretty small for 3-10" but it could be done.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Lifer

yes, that's what i meant.

man, i need to take some measurements about how much space is actually available, but I don't think you could do 12's back there, but without putting my eyes on the truck, i can't 100% rule it out, but it might have to be behind the seat.

If you want earth shattering bass, (like 2-12 w6v2's could provide, you bought the wrong truck.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
yes, that's what i meant.

man, i need to take some measurements about how much space is actually available, but I don't think you could do 12's back there, but without putting my eyes on the truck, i can't 100% rule it out, but it might have to be behind the seat.

If you want earth shattering bass, (like 2-12 w6v2's could provide, you bought the wrong truck.

PM me an address, and I'll come see you Saturday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement