iPod on your Car? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

iPod on your Car?

Anyone using their iPods in their cars in place of CD's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:40 PM
bottle baby

you can, i dont have an ipod, but you can.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Gunga galunga

yup in my VW i use the dension Ice link so its makes the ipod appear to be a cd changer, sounds great and you can control the ipod through the radio controls and it charges it too. there are several companies doing it for different makes jest search around

one of the best things i've done i don't carry CD's anymore at all just my 20gig pod

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 08:28 PM
No, I don't have a turbo

Use the iPod in my wife's Mazda with an iTrip, and in my Mustang with a aux cable..

Don't own any CD's anymore.. Sold them to Hastings, and backed up my entire library.

Punxsutawney Jesus, Illuminati Elitist
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

jakesford how do you like the interface of your iPod through the changer control?

One of the reasons I have not gone to an iPod control unit is that I like the interface of the iPod. Very easy to change to the exact song I want or the right playlist. So I am using the aux input and changing the track via the iPod.

One thing you should do if you are using and aux is get the belkin auto kit. It is a charger that has a jack for your 1/4 inch cable. Allowing just the dock connector coming from the charger plug into your iPod giving it a line out vs just going through the headphone jack on the iPod.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=149006
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck5.0
jakesford how do you like the interface of your iPod through the changer control?

One of the reasons I have not gone to an iPod control unit is that I like the interface of the iPod. Very easy to change to the exact song I want or the right playlist. So I am using the aux input and changing the track via the iPod.

One thing you should do if you are using and aux is get the belkin auto kit. It is a charger that has a jack for your 1/4 inch cable. Allowing just the dock connector coming from the charger plug into your iPod giving it a line out vs just going through the headphone jack on the iPod.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=149006
Yeah the dension alows you a couple of options, you can use their interface basically the song info appears on the i pod and you change tracks access playlist and what not through your radio controls or steering wheel controls if you have them. Or you can have it so that it uses the stock iPod interface, which is what i do since i have the dension iPod dock mounted next to my radio. They just use an adapter that plugs in to the cable that would run to a CD changer and that gives it power and perfect sound quality, I encoded all my CD's at 320 so it is basically CD quality...

I would just make sure to atleast avoid any type of FM modulator type of adapter...

http://www.densionusa.com/main.htm

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 09:24 PM
DFWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck5.0
Anyone using their iPods in their cars in place of CD's?
i have a $15 buck adapter from cructhfield that plugs into the cd changer plug in of my cd player to the head phone jack of my i-pod.......later i'll eventally buy the more expensive $100 buck adapter to control my i-pod straight to my cd player controls..... screw the i-pod casette adapter and forget about that fm transmitter it sucks..........................
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 02:19 AM
Good times

I did something similar to that ^. Just got the tape adapter, plugged right into the Mach 460, took out the CD player and put the iPod in place of it on the shelf.

n/a
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

got it in my truck, my friend tahoe, sisters civic, friends lexus is300 and audi a6. All you really need is an AUX input adapter and 1/8" male to 1/8" male cable. I wired in extra cigarette lighter adapters in the first 3 cars because we use the Belken charger/volume control piece. Works great, the radio gets tricked into thinking it is a cd changer

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Lifer

i use my ipod all the time i have aux inputs...sounds good but only front speakers and sub work.....kinda wierd... but still sounds good.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93powerranger
i use my ipod all the time i have aux inputs...sounds good but only front speakers and sub work.....kinda wierd... but still sounds good.
thats odd..my buddy's tahoe hits hard and sounds crystal clear

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

It not playing through the back speakers sounds like there is something wrong with the 1/8 line cable you are using. Try replacing it. I bet that fixes it.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Lifer

the 1/8" stereo plug is just that, stereo, so it should not have an effect on whether or not the front or rear speakers are playing.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Time Served

Question stock or aftermarket stereo

I bought an iPod Nano for my wife and would like for her to be able use it in her car. I tried one of those FM transmitters and took it back because of all the static. Now I'm trying to decide if I should use one of these which would connect to the factory cassette deck(the ICE link is not offered for her car) or get an aftermarket stereo.

If I go aftermarket, I can get one with a minijack you simply plug your iPod into or with a seperate iPod interface. I'm not sure which one of these would be better; controlling through the head unit or the iPod itself. It might be better not having to fumble with the iPod while driving, but how good are the controls going through the stereo? Thanks.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Lifer

i used one for a year when i was at ft irwin cause there is no damn radio out there

93 coupe 351/t56

In the words of President Teddy Roosevelt, " We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

ive never been good at keeping directions i believe schedules are one of lifes worst infections

WELCOME TO TENNESSEE THE PATRON STATE OF SHOOTIN STUFF
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 08:49 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineStang
I bought an iPod Nano for my wife and would like for her to be able use it in her car. I tried one of those FM transmitters and took it back because of all the static. Now I'm trying to decide if I should use one of these which would connect to the factory cassette deck(the ICE link is not offered for her car) or get an aftermarket stereo.

If I go aftermarket, I can get one with a minijack you simply plug your iPod into or with a seperate iPod interface. I'm not sure which one of these would be better; controlling through the head unit or the iPod itself. It might be better not having to fumble with the iPod while driving, but how good are the controls going through the stereo? Thanks.
What is the year, make, and model of her car? A hardwired FM modulator would sound much better than those wireless ones.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Time Served

It's a '99 Taurus. I'm just going to get one of those cassette adaptors for now. I was avoiding them because of all the negative reviews, but this one by Sony got decent reviews on Amazon.com. I will look into something more permanent later or just wait until we get another car.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

you can use wired ones. i've nver had a problem with the sony tape adaptors... not with any of them really....

Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD. You want to hit it, but are afraid of the consequences.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Lifer

I have the Pioneer one in my mustang. I love it since i can plug it in and hide it away in the ash tray area and control everything through the head unit. Its nice going on a road trip putting it on random and never hearing the same song twice.

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLilPony
If you call me, I'll have phone sex with you.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Time Served

Can someone recommend one for my car
87 lx mustang,,, stock stereo system...
Jon
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Lifer

hey jakesford what is the price of the dension ice link kit.. i hve an 01 acura TL 3.2

shm short block, vortech s trim, 3.55's, AFM power pipe,etc..
S/c cobra (me) vs N20 cobra race 2

S/c Cobra vs N2O Cobra Race 3
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 12:42 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

My itrip works pretty decent for the amount of install work required. Both of my vehicles now have an aux in though and of course it sounds better.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement