2000 gt mach 460/will a newer 6 disk work? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

2000 gt mach 460/will a newer 6 disk work?

i just purchased a 2000 gt with mach 460 stereo system, will a newer 6 disk changer from a newer mustang plug right in?? i would appreciate any reply. also, if i was to buy a stock replacement from ebay etc.., would there be a problem with the security code?

Mike Gonzales
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 01:05 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

No it will not plug in. I don't think there are security codes on Ford radios.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTurbo86
i just purchased a 2000 gt with mach 460 stereo system, will a newer 6 disk changer from a newer mustang plug right in?? i would appreciate any reply. also, if i was to buy a stock replacement from ebay etc.., would there be a problem with the security code?
You have to buy the wiring harness for the 6 disc and replace the dash and radio bezel.

2002 Saleen Conv. 558rwhp/493rwtq

2000 347 335rwhp/375rwtq
best of 8.25 @85mph in the 8th

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Live For The Twisties!!!

Humm!!

How much newer are you talking? If I am not mistaken the mustang used the World Wide plug until 05. If you are talking about trying to install an 05 CD-6 in a 2000 then it will not work. Radios are physically different sizes and the amp trigger and pre amp voltages will not match up. What do you have in it right now?

Flying High,....One Mile at a Time!!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
How much newer are you talking? If I am not mistaken the mustang used the World Wide plug until 05. If you are talking about trying to install an 05 CD-6 in a 2000 then it will not work. Radios are physically different sizes and the amp trigger and pre amp voltages will not match up. What do you have in it right now?
i have a 2000 mustang gt with mach 460 , there is no radio in it right now, i was thinking of installing a newer 6 disc changer (double din) stereo from a 2003 cobra mustang , or out of a mach 1 , not a 2005, i know for sure that the trim bezel is different , my main concern is if it will plug right in and work with my harness, and existing amps?

Mike Gonzales
[email protected]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 12:07 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
i have a 2000 mustang gt with mach 460 , there is no radio in it right now, i was thinking of installing a newer 6 disc changer (double din) stereo from a 2003 cobra mustang , or out of a mach 1 , not a 2005, i know for sure that the trim bezel is different , my main concern is if it will plug right in and work with my harness, and existing amps?
No.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Live For The Twisties!!!

Ok!!

Quote:

Had to do some checking but here is the scoop. 2000 still had a stacked cassette with a slave CD. 01 thru 03 had double din radio's (w/ world wide plugs: 04 and up switched to the new phase 2 connector.) and the CD-6 was an option. The 460 system in your 00 uses a preamp 165 cassette radio. The radio feeds a four channel amp that provides audio for the four sail speakers in the car. From that amp a signal is run back to the sub amps in the rear package tray. Those two amps are in parallel running the four subs in the car. The 01 thru 03 used a high powered radio (This amplified feed ran the sails.) with a descrete sub preamp out. You can swap it over but it is more than just plug and play. First, you need to go to dealership and buy the different center console trim and bracket assembly for a 01 to 03 that mounts a double din radio. The four channel amp under and behind the radio must be removed and you will need an adaptor harness to plug into the radio and to supply the four sail speakers with audio. You will also need a pigtail for the sub/out from the radio. Next I would have to do some more research about the trigger voltages. You may have to used a zener diode to clamp the trigger voltage down to the right value. If you don't the sub amps will pop on/off or not come on at all. You need to make sure you have the right model number of radio for a 460 system. (Not a Mach 1000)

These model numbers should be OK for you to use. Word to the wise, do not buy one off of E-Bay and be wary about buying a used non-refurb radio. I am in those all of the time and the majority of the problem with them is they get dirty and wacked out of alignment. Note: if you do not know what you are doing, I would not take one apart either because they are a bitch to get back together and aligned properly.

I am assuming you have a coupe!!

1R3F-18C815-AA (Note: the 1 is the year. So a 2R3T or 3R3T would be fine.)
" "-AD

Those are the models you need to look for to make the system work right. Let me know if you need anymore help.

Last edited by Paul; 09-01-2005 at 02:44 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Had to do some checking but here is the scoop. 2000 still had a stacked cassette with a slave CD. 01 thru 03 had double din radio's (w/ world wide plugs: 04 and up switched to the new phase 2 connector.) and the CD-6 was an option. The 460 system in your 00 uses a preamp 165 cassette radio. The radio feeds a four channel amp that provides audio for the four sail speakers in the car. From that amp a signal is run back to the sub amps in the rear package tray. Those two amps are in parallel running the four subs in the car. The 01 thru 03 used a high powered radio (This amplified feed ran the sails.) with a descrete sub preamp out. You can swap it over but it is more than just plug and play. First, you need to go to dealership and buy the different center console trim and bracket assembly for a 01 to 03 that mounts a double din radio. The four channel amp under and behind the radio must be removed and you will need an adaptor harness to plug into the radio and to supply the four sail speakers with audio. You will also need a pigtail for the sub/out from the radio. Next I would have to do some more research about the trigger voltages. You may have to used a zener diode to clamp the trigger voltage down to the right value. If you don't the sub amps will pop on/off or not come on at all. You need to make sure you have the right model number of radio for a 460 system. (Not a Mach 1000)

These model numbers should be OK for you to use. Word to the wise, do not buy one off of E-Bay and be wary about buying a used non-refurb radio. I am in those all of the time and the majority of the problem with them is they get dirty and wacked out of alignment. Note: if you do not know what you are doing, I would not take one apart either because they are a bitch to get back together and aligned properly.

I am assuming you have a coupe!!

1R3F-18C815-AA (Note: the 1 is the year. So a 2R3T or 3R3T would be fine.)
" "-AD

Those are the models you need to look for to make the system work right. Let me know if you need anymore help.
Damn , did you invent mach 460? just joking , i appreciate all your help to this point. Now i have a new problem .. this is what is going on right now , maybe you can help...the ends of my harness were chopped off when my stereo was stolen. I found a 2000 gt at the junk yard and chopped off all the plugs for the factory mach 460 that it had. i finally got ahold of a mach 460 combination am/fm cassette, and a seperate cd player ... 2 single din pieces... so i start wirring the these plugs into my car by matching wire colors and crimping them together... the long flat plug for the back of the am/fm cassette wired together no problem... also one of the plugs to the back of the cd player... so im left with these two square metal plugs from the junkyard,they look like small grey encolsed cables. there is only one of those cables hanging from my dash..and these do not match up, i am wondering if there is something missing in the middle that i dont have in my car ? please feel free to call me any time , at 361 765 0078 or i m me your # , i would appreciate any help... thanks

Mike Gonzales
[email protected]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Live For The Twisties!!!

Well!!

Quote:
Damn , did you invent mach 460? just joking , i appreciate all your help to this point. Now i have a new problem .. this is what is going on right now , maybe you can help...the ends of my harness were chopped off when my stereo was stolen. I found a 2000 gt at the junk yard and chopped off all the plugs for the factory mach 460 that it had. i finally got ahold of a mach 460 combination am/fm cassette, and a seperate cd player ... 2 single din pieces... so i start wirring the these plugs into my car by matching wire colors and crimping them together... the long flat plug for the back of the am/fm cassette wired together no problem... also one of the plugs to the back of the cd player... so im left with these two square metal plugs from the junkyard,they look like small grey encolsed cables. there is only one of those cables hanging from my dash..and these do not match up, i am wondering if there is something missing in the middle that i dont have in my car ? please feel free to call me any time , at 361 765 0078 or i m me your # , i would appreciate any help... thanks

p No I did not invent it, I am just the poor sap that has to fix the crap when it breaks. IF you are going back with the AM/FM Cass w/slave CD then this is what you need. You will have a shielded audio cable going from the CD to the back of the AM/FM Cass. From the Cass you have another shielded cable going to the four channel amp. Those cable are a bitch to fix without having noise issues and those are the plugs you have left over right now. Check your PM's!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement