Why can't I get my stereo to work in this car? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
The first, the original

Angry Why can't I get my stereo to work in this car?

I took the JVC from my 87GT to put in my 93LX. I bought the proper installation plug for the 93 and matched the speaker wires up. My stock stereo works fine. I pull out the stock stereo and connect the JVC. The JVC powers on and appears to function fine but there is no sound. I checked all my wires, nice and tight. I can unhook it and connect my factory and it works fine. I used some jumper wires and a headphone to make sure the JVC is putting out sound and it does through the headphone but not the speakers. Is there anything special about putting an aftermarket stereo in a 93? I'm using the right connector and soldered my connections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 06:58 PM
Rolling with the homies

Hmm.. Shouldn't be a problem specific to 93 models. I had an aftermarket Alpine CD Player in my 93 GT 'Vert.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 07:38 PM
Time Served

problem is most likely the 93 has a premium sound amp. You'll have to bypass it to get the head unit signal to the speakers.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
The first, the original

How do I bypass it? I did this in my 87 but it was easy to get to. The speaker cable on my 93 appears to go straight under the carpet. Where is the amp on a 93?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 11:18 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Ok the amp as well known is right behind the radio itself. There is really no need to bypass it unless you are going to do some serious upgrades. I have had this problem before on other mustangs I have done.

First make sure the amp turn on lead (blue wire) is hooked up.

Second - Cut all negative wires that come out of the radio and go to the harness....That has been the problem on most of the stangs I have worked on.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
The first, the original

Quote:
Originally posted by Slow90Vert
Ok the amp as well known is right behind the radio itself. There is really no need to bypass it unless you are going to do some serious upgrades. I have had this problem before on other mustangs I have done.

First make sure the amp turn on lead (blue wire) is hooked up.

Second - Cut all negative wires that come out of the radio and go to the harness....That has been the problem on most of the stangs I have worked on.

I'll look again. It was easy to find behind the radio on my 87, but when I follow the blue speaker cable, it feels like it just goes straight under the carpet. According to the installation kit Crutchfield provided me when I bought the stereo 2 years ago, it specifically instructed to bypass the amp. I'll look again and call Crutchfield and see what they say.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 08:35 PM
Time Served

Most likely the amp is under the passenger seat.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 09:08 PM
Lifer

my amp was behind the stereo. I couldn't figure out why my stereo didn't work eithe until I heard from my brother that I had to bypass the amp. They make a harness to bypass the amp, but I had mine hardwired.
Ryan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement