connecting car stereo questions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

connecting car stereo questions

I have a pioneer car stereo/CD palyer that I am trying to connect on my 99 Sonoma. I
am not an expert by any means in connecting a radio but can you damage the speaker outlets from the radio or the speaker themsleves by incorrectly hooking them up?? I know you can burn the radio itself. I was connecting the wires today but I can only get sound from the rear left speaker only, I tried connecting the other speaker wires but I get no sound? Did I mess anything up?

2004 Competition Orange Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Lifer

tell me that you didn't cut off the factory wiring harness connector, please. tell me.

if you still have the factory connector on the wiring harness, then you can go get a wiring harness adapter, so that you can plug it into your factory wiring without doing any damage to the vehicle, and then you can match the colors to the pioneer harness.

yes, if you did try to hardwire it, it's very possible that you damaged something.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadWagon
tell me that you didn't cut off the factory wiring harness connector, please. tell me.

if you still have the factory connector on the wiring harness, then you can go get a wiring harness adapter, so that you can plug it into your factory wiring without doing any damage to the vehicle, and then you can match the colors to the pioneer harness.

yes, if you did try to hardwire it, it's very possible that you damaged something.
No I did not cut it off, it came like that when I bought it. Where could I get the connector????

2004 Competition Orange Coupe

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 02:07 AM
bottle baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302_based
No I did not cut it off, it came like that when I bought it. Where could I get the connector????
any car audio shop... best buy/car toys/etc
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Lifer

you're going to have to hardwire the harness into the car.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Your Real DAD

Location: Prowlin the streets,with my FUNNY friend. In good ol Checkaho,TX AKA GARLAND BITCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadWagon
you're going to have to hardwire the harness into the car.

AKA Thats gonna suck.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 04:11 PM

The worst thing you could do is connect the ground wrong. Heres what I'd do. I'd take a multimeter or circut tester and fine the power and alt. power (power that turns on and off with the ignition). Cross reference with the pioneer wiring diagram and connect them they way it shows. To find the speaker wires look on the back of the speakers to find what colors each speaker has they should all be different. The ground wire is normally solid and the power striped. If you can get power to the reciever with the correct ground. Then you can trouble shoot the speakers. This can take sometime but you won't blow anything. If you switch a ground for power on speakers it normally makes the speakers sound distorted.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 04:15 PM

You can't get a manufactor harness at best buy. You have to go to the dealer. What your thinking of is the adapter to fit in the factory harness. For time, if you ever want to install another radio I'd hardwire the best buy harness.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Lifer

I hope you're not saying that if you connect a speaker out of phase, that it will sound distorted. It will sound the exact same as the other speaker only out of phase.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 08:35 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbstang26
You can't get a manufactor harness at best buy. You have to go to the dealer. What your thinking of is the adapter to fit in the factory harness. For time, if you ever want to install another radio I'd hardwire the best buy harness.
<-- Sells many manufacturers harnesses. You don't need it but it makes changing the deck later easier IMO.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 03:07 AM
bottle baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbstang26
yes you can...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement