What Ohm load do my speakers have? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

What Ohm load do my speakers have?

I have some JL Audio TR570-CX Co-Axial 5x7's and I wanted to get an idea what the Ohm load is so I can figure out how I'm going to run the amp. Unfortunately I dont' have the box they came in and there website doesn't help me much.

Anybody have any idea's?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 09:18 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

The JL Audio TR570CX speakers are 4 ohm.

Last edited by EW; 01-21-2002 at 01:28 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 10:49 AM
I am a Motherfucker

yup,
most high range speakers are 4 ohm single voice coil.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

So if I have two pairs of these JL 5x7's that are 4 Ohm each, what kind of Ohm loads can I get? I'd like to try and get a 2 Ohm load if possible so I can squeeze a little more power out of the amp.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 07:25 PM
Lifer

someone correct me if i'm wrong but jose I think if you get a 4 channel amp and bridge it into 2 channels you will have a 2 ohm load but the problem I think is that this will result in a mono effect instead of stereo, thus making it sound....crappy?

I don't know, someone help him out!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

I don't think that's right (besides the fact that it's a 2 channel amp that I'll be using). The speakers are what's presenting the "load" that the amp sees. All you are doing is "bridging" the channels of the amp to combine the power of those channels. Ohm load still depends on how you wire the speakers and I'm to brain dead to figure it out on my own right now.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 09:00 PM
Lifer

well if they are single voice coil like FFC says then I don't think you can wire them to 2 ohms
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 09:16 PM
motocross133

Do u also want to bridge the amp?Make it one channel is what i mean? then just take one positive and the other negative and hook it up to the 2 speakers ,hook the positve of one speaker to the pos.on the amp then the neg. on the amp to the neg. on the other speaker.Then run a single wire from the unused positve and negative of each other to each other.I belive that wil give you the 2ohm load your lookin for.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by stangcrazy
well if they are single voice coil like FFC says then I don't think you can wire them to 2 ohms
That's what I was thinking but I wanted someone to verify it for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by motocross133
Do u also want to bridge the amp?Make it one channel is what i mean? then just take one positive and the other negative and hook it up to the 2 speakers ,hook the positve of one speaker to the pos.on the amp then the neg. on the amp to the neg. on the other speaker.Then run a single wire from the unused positve and negative of each other to each other.I belive that wil give you the 2ohm load your lookin for.
Wouldn't want to bridge it down to one channel because I'd like to keep them in stereo.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2002, 08:09 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

If you have a two channel amp and you connect two 4 ohm speakers in parrallel to each channel, then the amp will be running 2 ohm stereo. It will raise your distortion level but it is probably still inaudible with a good amp.
99% of the time, I run amps 2 ohm stereo or 4 ohm mono (which is the same load). I try to maximize the output for the customer.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2002, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Thanks Eric, that's exactly what I was looking for

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2002, 05:50 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Mono

If you bridge the amp and run those speakers mono then what happens to the stereo effect or the ability to pan left right? IT sounds great on paper and in the head but when you actually do it the end quality or sound result we not be to your expectation. Plus if you bridge high and mid range speakers you run a higher risk on clipping the sound that comes out which in short will drastically reduce the life of those speakers.

Last edited by Slow90Vert; 01-27-2002 at 07:16 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Re: Mono

Quote:
Originally posted by Slow90Vert
If you bridge the amp and run those speakers mono then what happens to the stereo effect or the ability to pan left right? IT sounds great on paper and in the head but when you actually do it the end quality or sound result we not be to your expectation. Plus if you bridge high and mid range speakers you run a higher risk on clipping the sound that comes out which in short will drastically reduce the life of those speakers.
Ahh... You would lose the stereo effect since you are essentially combining the left and right channels of the amp. Great for subwoofers but not for mids and tweets. Now I've heard of people bridging two amps and using one bridged amp to run the left channel and the other amp to run the right channel. Is that what you are talking about?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 09:08 PM
Extreme Clean!

Re: Mono

Quote:
I don't think he is talking about bridging the amp. A two channel amp with two four ohm speakers attached to each output in parrallel will give you two ohm stereo. You will still have balance right to left, but not front to rear. In the "real world" clipping has more to do incorrect input gain setting (level matching.)
Im not trying to be a dick, I just have been working in the industry a long time - just not as long as EW... the old man

Last edited by Samhain; 01-28-2002 at 09:29 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Guess when he said mono it threw me off.

<--- Old guy but still doesn't know shit

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 09:27 PM
Extreme Clean!

Quote:
Originally posted by evil jose
Guess when he said mono it threw me off.

<--- Old guy but still doesn't know shit
Dude, your not that old
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Hell, my age might be DFW Stangs greatest kept secret

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 11:14 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Ok, Lets say you hook you left front and right front speaker to a amp by means of bridging the amp then you lose the total stereo effect. Yes I know that the possibility of clipping is a greater factor on the input side but it also plays a factor on the output side. When the speakers cant handle the massive power when there is some serious high frequencys then thats where they start to clip and will blow. I didnt go to the MECP for 6 months for nothing, I done this awhile but I dont know everything. Oh and sorry didnt mean to say mono....Must have been drinking.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 06:52 AM
Extreme Clean!

Quote:
Ok, Lets say you hook you left front and right front speaker to a amp by means of bridging the amp then you lose the total stereo effect. Yes I know that the possibility of clipping is a greater factor on the input side but it also plays a factor on the output side. When the speakers cant handle the massive power when there is some serious high frequencys then thats where they start to clip and will blow. I didnt go to the MECP for 6 months for nothing, I done this awhile but I dont know everything. Oh and sorry didnt mean to say mono....Must have been drinking.
Why would you bridge mid and high range speakers? You don't have to, not to run 2 ohm stereo. BTW good job on the MECP certification, I've had mine for about six years. Are you working at a shop?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 09:04 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

I have worked at shops off and on....I just dont want to get burned out now. I am waiting for a couple of years and I am going to try to open my own shop. I have no idea why would want to bridge mid range speakers but I have seen it done. I just love to go to competations and look at all the dumb ass stuff that people do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement