Serious sound system for any type of car - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 12:01 AM
brien

Serious sound system for any type of car

If you really want to get serious about a stereo system in an automobile then just completely forget about a head unit. Use a computer with a high end audio card to drive your system. It will sound far better (read clear) and will get much louder.

I can hit 140db with out even cranking my system up. I have a '97 Cobra Convertible and in it I have 4 Kicker 10" Solo Barics being powered by a 1000 watts out of one Rockford Fosgate amp and another 800 watt Fosgate amp driving 12 other speakers ranging in sizes.

Not only does my stereo sound great but I also have all of my music (over 200 cds totalling over 3500 songs) stored as MP3 files on my hard drive. I never have to worry about it skipping and have access to any song I want to listen to from my entire collection.

Plus with full color video display I can also watch DVDs in the car. And since I have added the right hardware I can pick up radio as well as watch local television.

I write my own software and am even in the process of making it voice activated.

If you have any questions about how to do it just ask and I will be glad to let you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 08:24 PM
Lifer

how did you wire your computer in? I'm very interested in your ideas.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 08:06 AM
I am a Motherfucker

Sounds good......Ya got a lap top in your cobra?? thats cooool!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 12:33 PM
brien

Actually it is not a laptop. It is a Pentium 4 @1.5GHz with 128mb RDRAM and 46GB Hard Drive and DVD-ROM Drive.

If you are slightly familiar with building computers it is no problem to do. I put a power converter in to get AC to run the computer. You could actually do without it and bypass the computer's power supply since it is designed to run on 12V and 5V but going through the power supply is a good idea since it is regulated.

In my trunk in the spare tire space I mounted the motherboard down using screws to secure it in place. The boards (video, sound, ...) are installed in the motherboard and the speaker output is connected to the amplifier inputs via a cable you can pick up at any Radio Shack for a couple of dollars. The monitor I purchased from EarthLCD.com. The unit is designed to run off 12V plus it is touch screen and displays 640x480 at 16-bit. It was the most expensive piece in the system. The hard drive is mounted in a small cage with foam padding to dampen as much of the vibration as possible. I have been running it in my car for one and a half years with no problems.

The rest is just having the right software. I am running Windows XP (which I worked as a developer on at Microsoft for a year before moving to Idaho). I am using freely downloadable MP3 software for playing back my files and have written an interface to allow me to quickly select any song I am after. I have also recently started adding to it the ability to make it voice activated.

And with the addition of DVD palyback software I can watch DVD movies in the car. I also have another piece of hardware that allows me to pick up radio or watch television.

The final piece of the system is a hand held GPS device which interfaces with the computer via a COM port and I have Microsoft Streets & Trips which communicates with the GPS device and gives me a fairly complete road map of the entire US.

If you have any specific questions regarding install just post another message or e-mail me at [email protected]. I will be glad to give you as much information as I can.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 11:32 PM
Time Served

I think I met you in the parking lot across from K-mart on Broadway and Duck Creek. You were asking me about my lowering springs. I had the white cobra look a like. You had a screen that pretty much covered up the ac gauges and the radio locations.

1998 Cobra
Black on Black

Performance Mods: Mac catback exhaust, K&N air filter, Bassani off-road X pipe, Dmp shifter, 87MM Pro-M, WMS velocity tube, ford C springs, KYB shocks and struts, King Cobra clutch

Appearance Mods: Tinted windows, Billet A/C knobs, Billet door locks, Cobra floormats, Steeda shift knob, Cobra grill emblem, Diamond clear corners, 18x8.5 and 18x11 Enkei V1's
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 09:38 AM
brien

Sorry but you have me mistaken for someone else. I have not been in Texas since owning my Cobra. Sounds like I am not the only person using a computer to get more from my sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement