Stock Speaker wire colors? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Stock Speaker wire colors?

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the stock audio system in a Mustang? I'm attempting to put some new speakers in, and want to get the polarity correct. I need to know color as well as function for the 6 speaker sound system.

Chambers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Okay this is fsked up. I'm looking at the left front speaker mounted in the dash, and it has Grey/White and a Orange/Green wires run to it. So I've tried to trace that to the speaker harness, and I get that each wire, the G/W and the O/G show up at two different pins on the speaker harness. In fact, the G/W shows up at a Orange/Green pin as well as the LtBlue/White pin on the grey 8 pin speaker harness, and the O/G wire shows up on the same of the speaker shows up at the same spots as the other wire. As far as I can tell, the + and - connections for that particular speaker are connected to both the RF- and LF+ connections on the speaker harness. Why that's true is beyond me. Never really done audio wiring before. Anyone care to explain? I have yet to take the door panels off, but I'd think that the door speakers will be wired weird too. Maybe they will map directly to where they are supposed to go, and just the dash speakers are weird.

Chambers
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

This information is for a '91 Mustang Convertible. It may be different for your car, so I'd recheck everything, but this worked for me. If you break something, it isn't my fault. Always double check your connections.

Aight, since no one had the answer, I had to do it the hard way.

Speaker Connectors look like this:
Where == is the secure tab, and I is the alignment tab

I figured that on all speakers, the A is positive, and B is negative
This holds true for every speaker, except the dash speakers. They are reversed in polarity from the door speakers.
==
|A|
|B|
---
I

here are the colors for the speakers:
(Code is
Location:Side:Color for A:Color for B:A speaker connector pin # on Speaker connector:B speaker connector pin # )
(Colors are listed in solid color/stripe color)

D:L:Grey/White:Orange/Green:8:5
F:L:Orange/Green:Lt. Blue/White:5:8
R:L:Pink/Lt. Blue:OffWhite/Yellow:7:2
D:R:Grey/Orange:White/Green:1:6
F:R:White/Green:Green/Orange:6:1
R:R:Pink/Lt. Blue:Green/Orange:3:4

Here is the key for the speaker connector:
(The speaker connector is a 8 connection,
grey, female connector. The connector will be
numbered left to right 1-8.) The - is the keyhole.

====
|1 2|
|3 4|
|5 6|
-|7 8|
====

Colors/Functions for the Connector Are:
1:Green/Orange R:F:-
2:Pink L:R:-
3:Pink/Lt. Blue R:R:+
4:Green/Orange R:R:-
5:Orange/Green L:F:+
6:White/Green R:F:+
7:Pink/Green L:R:+
8:Lt. Blue/White L:F:-

Question: Why did I get the find that the dash speakers where connected to two pins?
Answer: I had the door speakers still connected, so that means that the parallel connected dash speakers could get to both pins through the circuit that the door speaker completed.

Example
Door Speaker Dash Speaker
>| + -----+-------------- -|<
- ------|-+------------ +|
| |
| |
5 8

The door speakers completes the circuit from pin 8 to 5, so since
the Dash speaker is attached to the same lines, it appeared that the Dash speaker pins where attached to multiple speaker pin locations on the speaker connector.

Chambers

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 07:03 AM
Hustlin'

here's the easiest way, that ive allways done when working with factory wiring and integrating aftermarket speakers w/o a rewire.

I made a rather long set of 16 gauge extensions for my meter, like 10-12 ft, that allow me to test continuity over a long distance. Once I get a positive match on both ends, you can tell which weird ford wire color matches up w/ normal PAC harness colors (green/white/purple/grey) and walla, you know hot to correctly hook the poloarity on the speakerside.

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement