Hooking up 2 amps???? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

Hooking up 2 amps????

I'm hooking up some amps for a friend here next weekend I think..anyways....he threw a good ? at me this morning........he has 2 10in jl WO....he has 2 amps/kicker impule & alpine....each run about 100-110 wats rms @ 4ohm...bridged....well he asked me what would happen If I hooked 1 amp to one sub & the other amp to other sub......btw his box is ported w/4 in pcv in middle/speakers are not seperated inside..share same room.....I said "hell you got me"......any of ya have any ideas if this is bad or will it work.
I know each amp are not exactly the same, but don't know how much difference it will need to mess up speakers..........any clues let me know.......I'll check back in a few hours....I'm at work right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 10:29 AM
Lifer

It won't hurt a thing. Since you've got 2 amps, you might as well use them and take advantage of the extra power. As far as one speaker affecting the other, it won't matter since both speakers are same.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

now what about the amps it's self.....I know they "roughly" run about the same pwr...I can't prove it....say if one amp puts out maybe 5-10 watts more than other hypotheticaly...it won't effect the movement of the other speaker not getting same pwr

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Lifer

They wont hurt a thing since they are only 100 RMS each.

99GT Vert
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

reason Im asking that is that they share the same air space inside..no wall inbetween them...just asking ?'s on this...I'm know somewhat about car audio but not that much
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 10:38 AM
Lifer

Of course you wouldn't want to run the second amp if it was 20 watts while the first one was 100, but a few watts difference isn't going to matter. Even if they were vastly different, it wouldn't damage them.

If both amps are about the same quality and power rating, don't worry about them or the speakers.

Last edited by line-em-up; 08-21-2004 at 09:50 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGt95
now what about the amps it's self.....I know they "roughly" run about the same pwr...I can't prove it....say if one amp puts out maybe 5-10 watts more than other hypotheticaly...it won't effect the movement of the other speaker not getting same pwr
Cone movement wont be affected since it is low power, vented. At some frequencies ou will cancel the soundwave but i will be limited to when you are above the capacity of the amp and you will not want it up that loud anyways the bass will sound horrible.

Doopie

99GT Vert
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

Thanks for all the inputs......I'll give it a try,see what he says & I'll let ya know how it went
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

Back on this subject......just wandereing if it's better to use a xover or just use y-adapter on the rca cable...and how much difference is the 2 since we're not talking about a whole lot of power...........
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Lifer

IF the amp has a Xover built in then a Y will work if it doesnt what are you going to use to separate the highs and lows?

Doopie

99GT Vert
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

As soon as you asked that ?.....I answered it myself....fuck!!!! my bad, didn't even think about that..............anyways the stereo me & him have are badass......coincendence........but we both have the pioneer p-7200....it has a built in xover with 3 different settings for cutoffs fq.....you can control the signal going to the amp and control the bass level to the woofers without disturbing the bass level of speakers inside the car....ex. if you want to just listen to speakers inside car without all that bass,you just ..turn off SW..it'll cut signals going to amp.....if you want to put more or less bass to woofers without messing with bass inside car...you just adjust SW Bass....it's a badass stereo
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

Since we both have the same stereos...after I hook up his amps....we're going to do my system....hopefully I'll install mine faster than I will do his since I experimented on his!!!!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Extreme Clean!

Quote:
As soon as you asked that ?.....I answered it myself....fuck!!!! my bad, didn't even think about that..............anyways the stereo me & him have are badass......coincendence........but we both have the pioneer p-7200....it has a built in xover with 3 different settings for cutoffs fq.....you can control the signal going to the amp and control the bass level to the woofers without disturbing the bass level of speakers inside the car....ex. if you want to just listen to speakers inside car without all that bass,you just ..turn off SW..it'll cut signals going to amp.....if you want to put more or less bass to woofers without messing with bass inside car...you just adjust SW Bass....it's a badass stereo
So you have a "bad ass" radio but you want to install two different amps to run one enclosure? Sounds ghetto. My advise is to sell or trade the two amps and get one that will drive the load.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

My advice to you is to read the ORIGINAL POST I started...........If he was willing to do that.then he would of done that and this thread wouldn't of started...I'd try to get 1 amp to make it easier..but that his decision...hell nobody would even know if it were 1 amp or 2 amp running unless he showed you & and told how it was hooked up(now explain "ghetto" to me cuz I can tell you ghetto).....BTW this thread was written for advice on doing this. and yea I thought about that a long time ago, but I'm looking at it through his point of view....have some amps,don't want to go thru the hassel of getting 1 amp,if I have em..use em
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Extreme Clean!

Quote:
My advice to you is to read the ORIGINAL POST I started...........If he was willing to do that.then he would of done that and this thread wouldn't of started...I'd try to get 1 amp to make it easier..but that his decision...hell nobody would even know if it were 1 amp or 2 amp running unless he showed you & and told how it was hooked up(now explain "ghetto" to me cuz I can tell you ghetto).....BTW this thread was written for advice on doing this. and yea I thought about that a long time ago, but I'm looking at it through his point of view....have some amps,don't want to go thru the hassel of getting 1 amp,if I have em..use em
You wanted advise, I told you what I thought. If this guy wants a system that sounds half-assed or at best okay, then do it his way. The fact is with a common chamber enclosure with different amps running the drivers is not going to provide the best sound. I would rather use the stronger of the two amps bridged to run both speakers, but again that is IMHO. Good luck!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain
So you have a "bad ass" radio but you want to install two different amps to run one enclosure? Sounds ghetto. My advise is to sell or trade the two amps and get one that will drive the load.

Thats all I wanted was "advice" man, if you would of wrote what you last posted to me instead of the one quoted above, I'd be cool with that. No hard feelings. Not trying to be a asshole man. Just simple advice........Thanks for the advice.......I'm cool though!!!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 03:35 PM
bottle baby

Quote:
I would rather use the stronger of the two amps bridged to run both speakers, but again that is IMHO. Good luck!
werd, i just decided to keep my mouth shut on this one...lol
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 09:42 AM
Lifer

Quote:
LOL, it's called SUBWOOFER CONTROL, or a third pair of RCA preouts.

congratulations, that thing must have set you back THOUSANDS of dollars.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Can you technically explain how running separate amps will be a problem?
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
is chilaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadWagon
LOL, it's called SUBWOOFER CONTROL, or a third pair of RCA preouts.

congratulations, that thing must have set you back THOUSANDS of dollars.

Congratulations...your a fucking genius...if I wanted to spell out the whole "SUBWOOFER CONTROL" I would of....I call it "abbreviations"......No it did not save me THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!! & I never said that it did....It gives you more control!!!!!....Thats y I hate starting threads asking for advice..cuz dumb ass people want to put comments like that on here w/out saying anything that I'm asking. Hell look were this thread is going now...sounds more like a shit talking now!!!!!!!!!
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Congratulations...your a fucking genius...if I wanted to spell out the whole "SUBWOOFER CONTROL" I would of....I call it "abbreviations"......No it did not save me THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!! & I never said that it did....It gives you more control!!!!!....Thats y I hate starting threads asking for advice..cuz dumb ass people want to put comments like that on here w/out saying anything that I'm asking. Hell look were this thread is going now...sounds more like a shit talking now!!!!!!!!!
Just ignore the arrogant rich kids and smartasses. They are just trying to show off what little they know. If you want to have some fun and learn something in the process, just hook the stuff up and see how it sounds. It's paid for, it won't damage anything (as long as you don't wire it up incorrectly) and the speakers aren't going to care where they get their juice from.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Lifer

it's not an abbreviation if you write a paragraph, jackass.
you went on about it for a whole 5 lines like it was god's gift to stereo equipment.

line-em-up, i certainly hope that wasn't directed at me.

adam
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 09:46 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

There are only two people in the above posts that know what they are talking about.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 07:54 PM
bottle baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up
Just ignore the arrogant rich kids and smartasses. They are just trying to show off what little they know. If you want to have some fun and learn something in the process, just hook the stuff up and see how it sounds. It's paid for, it won't damage anything (as long as you don't wire it up incorrectly) and the speakers aren't going to care where they get their juice from.
werd, i love kids to act like they know their stuff then when they "try" to explain their know-how then they fumble the ball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement