DFW Mustang Forums banner

My Cap is bad, how did this happen?

580 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Hit Man X 
#1 ·
Well after much deducing, and after bypassing the Cap, the amp turns on and stays on. So it is the Cap.
Is it possible to overcharge one? Oh, I don't have the charging resistor for it either.

I did look at Radio Shack for a 25ohm resistor and couldn't find one. I found 10 and 50 ones...

#2 ·
did you have it hooked up right??
Caps usually dont go bad unless the cell is dammaged.

#3 ·
Well, man I need more info on the cap....I need the brand. I think it is a possiblity that your charging system could be surging and that could of fired the cap but that is a distant possiblity, also I need to know the size of it. Tell me more about your system, like what kind of subs, box, amp, size of wire. Let me know.:rolleyes:

#4 ·
The Cap is made by StreetWires (Esoteric Audio) and it is a 1 Farad. I don't have any subs so no extremes in power draws.

I am pretty sure it was hooked up correctly considering it worked with the other amp I had in there... The Neg is grounded withing 2' of the cap. On the Pos, I had the power from the battery and to the amp off it.

I have a PPI Art Series (50x4), A404. And the head unit, changer, and DSP are all Clarion. I got Polk speakers in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.