You can toss a resistor in series in front of the cap so you don't short out your battery. A 25 ohm resistor or whatever you may have handy should do the trick. A "dry" cap is a dead short. You can also use a test light in line as your positive lead and when the light goes out the cap is fully charged. Some people don't mind just hooking the cap up to battery, but then again some people would also microwave their own dicks...
Yeah I remember you, sup man.
It really should not take very long to charged the cap.
How do you have the cap wired?
Remember that one side goes to ground the other goes to the battery and the amp.
Test light or resistor? RADIO SHACK of course.