DFW Mustang Forums banner

Leg Extension vs. Leg press

353 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  George G. 
#1 ·
Is it better to focus on one more than the other? After all these posts about leg excerises, I decided it was time to push some more weight. Also, I heard a few time about using push muscles one day and pull muscles the next...is that really beneficial? I usually do upper body and lower body on seperate days. Lower consists of leg extension, then leg curls, then leg press.

On the leg press, I went from working out with 2 plates to warming up with 2 plates (10 x 2 sets), then 4 plates ( 5 x 4 sets +/-) then 6 plates, 3-4 x 3 sets. That seems to be my max as I can't seem to push anymore sets with 6 plates. should I move the leg ext. excersice to a different day? or does it not really matter? I'd like to get to 8 plates but I don't see that happening.

#4 ·
Here's my suggestion, along with the other good ones:

Start with light leg extensions, nothing to failure, for 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps. Then hit Leg Press for about 6 sets total, doing
2x15
4x15
5x12
6x6-12
6x6-12
6x6-12

If you can't make 6 reps, go back down to 5, but stick to the heavier weights until you CAN do a good 4-6 sets of 12-15 reps. Don't go lighter for any reason, that's not going to make you're muscles grow. A burn is one thing, but shear force on the muscles (heavy weight ;)) is another!! :D

The only reason you should go lighter, is if you're pyramid'in on the last set!

Next, finish off with the leg curls. Again, going heavy as possible.

As for the push on day 1, and pull on day 2, that's an ok plan, and actually works well for some people. So when what you're doing now fails, try it out and see what you think. Nothing.... go back to your old plan, or try something else.

#5 ·
I'll give it a try. I gotta wait till Monday. I worked out my legs Thursday with 35 more lbs from the beginning and I'm sore. I usually don't have time on the weekends to workout. Today is upper body. I can probably accomplish the 15-20 reps with 4 plates plus some but not with 6 plates. Do you think I just advanced to quickly with the 6 plates since I can only do 3 sets of 3-4?

I've tried the push/pull routine once or twice but I couldn't get into it. I know it takes more that twice to call it routine. I'm just use to upper/lower.

#6 ·
George G. said:
I'll give it a try. I gotta wait till Monday. I worked out my legs Thursday with 35 more lbs from the beginning and I'm sore. I usually don't have time on the weekends to workout. Today is upper body. I can probably accomplish the 15-20 reps with 4 plates plus some but not with 6 plates. Do you think I just advanced to quickly with the 6 plates since I can only do 3 sets of 3-4?

I've tried the push/pull routine once or twice but I couldn't get into it. I know it takes more that twice to call it routine. I'm just use to upper/lower.
IMO.. drop the weights to where you can get at LEAST 3 good sets of 8-12 reps.set of 3 should not be part of your regular work out.

#7 ·
I worked out the lower body today.

warm up

2 plates + 35lbs = 10 x 2 (worked calves on this first and warmed up)
4 plates + 50 lbs = 6 x 5 (I'm gonna work on increasing this)
2 plates + 50 lbs = 5 x 2 cool down

I warmed up and did a couple leg curls during. I tried to do some leg extensions afterwards but my legs were done by that time. I'm gonna stick with this as it seems I can work pretty good and I can lift longer. I'll move the leg ext to another day or something.

On another note, 2 weeks on Xenadrine EFX and ....nothing. Not a pound shed so I'm getting off this stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.