cleaning a block at home - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

cleaning a block at home

i dont want to mess with hauling my 94 block to a shop and spending all sorts of money to hot tank it. i also dont want to mess with taking apart the crank, rods, and pistons cuz im not experienced with taking it apart and putting it back together. what products can i use (other than brushes and simple green) to completely clean a block, inside and out? i want to clean the oil and coolant passages and the rotating assembly as well. i read that tranny fluid acts as a detergent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Lost in suburbia HELLLLLL

well, unfortunatly if you want ot clean it right, you have to take it apart. if you start getting dirt and soot, into the oil passages or block them you just wasted your time. get a manual and take it apart and clean it propery. or just clean the surfaces, uses lots of engine cleaner or carb cleaner.

93gt boss block, 185 cnc trick flow heads, undisclosed cam specs, YS trim, saleen intake nice and shiny. car is spotted primer currently

05 honda accord coupe daily driver
00z28 new catfish moser 9in, pat g custom cam, ls6 intake, long tubes, built 6spd and much more.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchicken
i dont want to mess with hauling my 94 block to a shop and spending all sorts of money to hot tank it. i also dont want to mess with taking apart the crank, rods, and pistons cuz im not experienced with taking it apart and putting it back together. what products can i use (other than brushes and simple green) to completely clean a block, inside and out? i want to clean the oil and coolant passages and the rotating assembly as well. i read that tranny fluid acts as a detergent.
Use Easy Off oven cleaner and a power washer.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T J O H
Use Easy Off oven cleaner and a power washer.
wont water damage the bearings?

can i use some kind of strong pipe cleaner and oven cleaner to clean out the passages?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchicken
wont water damage the bearings?

can i use some kind of strong pipe cleaner and oven cleaner to clean out the passages?
Your not going to have it rebuilt?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 09:19 PM
ebay pimp

I second the oven cleaner, works awesome. Get the motor dried off when your done & squirt it down with WD-40.

Scott
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 09:27 PM
My sh*t don't stink

Don't even think about not taking it all apart and cleaning it right. That's an automatic "do over"...

If (when) it's all taken apart, take the bearings out and keep them organized, and clean them separately so they don't get screwed up.

Wag more, Bark less.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart
If (when) it's all taken apart, take the bearings out and keep them organized, and clean them separately so they don't get screwed up.
take out the cam bearings too? how hard is it to disassemble and reassemble the rotating assembly? any special tools needed?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Lifer

Orielly's cleans and preps blocks for pretty cheap.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 08:40 AM
My sh*t don't stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buick355
Orielly's cleans and preps blocks for pretty cheap.
There you go

Cam bearings take a special tool to remove and install.

Wag more, Bark less.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart
There you go

Cam bearings take a special tool to remove and install.
I have the tool but I have yet to use it LOL I'm scared of fucking up, especially when you can have cam bearings installed for like $30.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

If your going to take the motor apart, which is really the right way to do it, as mentioned above. After you have it apart, take soap and water and wash the shit out of it. Then dry it off and take an air hose blow it out real good and make sure you get all the water out of all the block, get it good an dry.....then lube everything and put it back together.

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Lifer

After completing over 15 shortblocks...

It is not a good idea...trust me!

"...no matter how good you are...you aint jack unless you get off your fat ass and do some work..."
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstang1
If your going to take the motor apart, which is really the right way to do it, as mentioned above. After you have it apart, take soap and water and wash the shit out of it. Then dry it off and take an air hose blow it out real good and make sure you get all the water out of all the block, get it good an dry.....then lube everything and put it back together.
wont the soap and water damage the cam bearings? i think theres a small hole in each bearing and what if i cant get all the water out? i dont want to go through another engine that has low oil pressure.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:13 PM
My sh*t don't stink

Dish washing soap won't hurt the bearings (just don't use anything strong), and you really should use compressed air to blow out all the passages. Find a "longer" air blower so you can reach in to the holes in the cam bearings and blow them out from the cam bearing down to the main journals. There's a lot of crap that can be left in the block by only blowing through the main journals to the cam bearings. Also, you'd be AMAZED at the shit that collects at the ends of the oil galleys. Remember, this is where the oil goes AFTER the filter. In the rear of the block, there are pipe plugs that unscrew, and in the front of the block behind the cam gear, there are plugs that you can knock out from the back side using a long stick (I use 1/4 brake tubing that I have laying around). Some people go to the trouble of tapping the holes and installing threaded plugs in the front when they reassemble the engine so they can't "pop" back out like pressed in plugs can. Luckily, the holes are already drilled to the right size to use a 1/4" pipe tap. You just have to watch the heads of the threaded plugs in the front, because they can interfere with the timing gear or distributor gear. Also, there's usually a ton of crap in the space between the rear cam bearing and the big plug at the rear of the block. Knock that plug out as well and clean that area. Also, get a tap set and clean out all the threads in the block and on all your bolts. It's amazing how much better things go together when you do that-all your torque specs will be accurate if there's no crap down the holes. Sorry for the long post, but something that seems so basic really isn't if you do it right. It takes less time (and money) to do it right the first time, than if you have to do it twice.

Wag more, Bark less.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

thanks for the info old fart (that sounds bad ). im assuming pipe plugs are synonymous with freeze plugs? will oven cleaner harm the cam bearings?

im trying to decide if i should just let a machine shop tank the block, install new cam bearings and freeze plugs, and possibly hone the cylinders. theres a place not far from where my engine is that will do that for $75. but its a hassle to get the block to the shop (gotta rent a hoist again and find a buddy with a truck). i would clean it myself, but i have very little experience with taking apart a rotating assembly.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 09:03 AM
My sh*t don't stink

$75 is cheap, but I would still take out all the plugs myself before they vat it, which will allow the solution to get to all the nooks and crannies. I say this because the last engine I built started with a block that had been cleaned/bored/honed/freeze plugs/cam bearings by a reputable machine shop, but when I got it home, all the oil galley plugs were still in and they left the cam bearings in while they vatted it so there was still a bunch of crap in the block which could've come loose and killed the engine

Wag more, Bark less.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 03:37 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Yes, tranny fluid acts as a detergent, but it might not be a very effective cleaner. I would recommend to hire a professional for this type of work, because it may seem as easy as hood cleaner work, but it can all get greasy and clumsy.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:40 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Yes, that is true but why wasting your time with that when you can just lay back, relax and chat with sextreffen reutlingen girs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement