Just bought my son a Weatherby SA-08 Youth shotgun - DFWstangs Forums
DFWstangs Forums    
Go Back   DFWstangs Forums > General > The Armory

DFWStangs.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Unread 03-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
SSMAN
Darkside

Just bought my son a Weatherby SA-08 Youth shotgun

He has had an old single shot for a while now. He is 11 years old and lately we have been shooting skeet together. So I thought I would upgrade him to a semi automatic. Found the weatherby for about $400.00. Get it home, assemble it and take it to alpine shooting range. It will not eject the spent shells. Even after putting in the light gas ring thingy. Will be calling Weatherby first thing tomorrow to see what is up. It appears to be a common problem from all the threads I read about it after buying it. Just a heads up in case any one was going to buy a youth shot gun for their kiddo's. I would pass on this one.
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
J&T's 82
Clown

I had a Charles Daley 20 GA auto that I bought at Walmart 10 years ago that would do the same thing from time to time. Needless to say I got rid of it.
J&T's 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
SSMAN
Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T's 82 View Post
I had a Charles Daley 20 GA auto that I bought at Walmart 10 years ago that would do the same thing from time to time. Needless to say I got rid of it.
From time to time is one thing. This thing will not eject a spent shell for shit. I have read posts that after a couple of boxes run through it that it should start working. I really did not expect this from a Weatherby.
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
03trubluGT
Lifer

I bought my son a Mossberg Bantam 20ga shotgun from Walmart for about $189.

It never misses a beat.
03trubluGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
srt-4_i_swear
Time Served

Ever try any other shells? Some shotguns won't cycle the cheap low-end shells. Try a remington winchester AA and if that doesn't work something high brass. Then if that doesn't work send it back to weatherby as you've got a bad shotgun.
srt-4_i_swear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
SSMAN
Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt-4_i_swear View Post
Ever try any other shells? Some shotguns won't cycle the cheap low-end shells. Try a remington winchester AA and if that doesn't work something high brass. Then if that doesn't work send it back to weatherby as you've got a bad shotgun.

Actually that was my next plan of action. Weatherby said they may need a break in period and to use a heavier load for the first couple of boxes. All ready contacted the service center in Hurst just in case it does not work. Silly of me to think I could buy a gun and actually shoot it.
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
SSMAN
Darkside

Ran some 1300 fps 7.5 shot thru it. Seemed to work fine with that. Pretty sure if I run a few boxes thru it , it will loosen up a bit. It just does not like the 1200 fps shells
Unread 03-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
srt-4_i_swear
Time Served

Remington Shur Shots are normally the cheapest decent shells out there. Anything less your risking your shotgun not cycling. Not sure Walmart sells a target load worth firing.
srt-4_i_swear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement