Does Torco work? - DFWstangs Forums
DFWstangs Forums    
Go Back   DFWstangs Forums > General > The Garage

DFWStangs.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
spederman
Time Served

Does Torco work?

Anybody use Torco accelerator? Does it work raising the octane level? Any downsides of using it like fouling plugs?

So fast, I make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales
spederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
MR TINFOIL HAT
Lifer

Yes it works, and it does turn plugs orange, but I never had it foul out any plugs.
Our government needs our help, they have an addiction. Our government is addicted to our money. Since they always have our best interest at heart it's time we return the favor. We need to have an intervention, for the governments own good of course. It's just irresponsible for us to let people with a known money addiction continue to handle our money. Lets have an intervention now so we can help these sick individuals.
MR TINFOIL HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
terminator03
Grass Snake

Works for me
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
spederman
Time Served

Cool, what about lucas octane booster? Says it has MMT which is what torco also has. Is it a good alternative since its more readily avail at places like autozone?

Unread 03-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
turbostang
Narcissistic fade away

Octane boosters, for the most part, are bandaide fixes for a poorly tuned car.

If the car doesn't have a chip, or a way to adjust boost - then you are most likely wasting your money.

Now, for the sake of argument, what's done to the car that it "needs" octane booster?
turbostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Mychael101
We lost one.....

I figured torco was a way to go to the track and run a hot tune with some degree of protection.
Mychael101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
turbostang
Narcissistic fade away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael101 View Post
I figured torco was a way to go to the track and run a hot tune with some degree of protection.
THat's exactly what it's used for, but there are better ways to do it. Does it raise octane, maybe so -but what extent? Does it fight off detonation? Maybe so. Will it keep you from knocking a headgasket out of it? maybe. Will it keep you from popping the motor? maybe. Long story short, no one can garauntee you that it raises the octane any certain amount, nor can they say it raises the octane X amount. IF someone tells you that, they are flat out not telling you the truth, because I can promise you that no one around here has a way to tell you IF it raises octane OR much less HOW much.

I am not sure what Torco goes for now days, but at near 20$ a can, I'd MUCH rather use a couple gallons of race fuel and mixing it with a known amount of pump gas for my track days. At least this way, you KNOW how much octane you are starting out with, and I'd dare to say - there's probably a way to determine how much octane you are using, or very close to it.
Unread 03-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
spederman
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang View Post
Octane boosters, for the most part, are bandaide fixes for a poorly tuned car.

If the car doesn't have a chip, or a way to adjust boost - then you are most likely wasting your money.

Now, for the sake of argument, what's done to the car that it "needs" octane booster?
I wanted to run the race/track tune on the street for the hell of it, but since its an aggressive tune, i was told to make sure i get 93 octane from a reputable gas station. Just to be on the safe side i was wondering if throwing in a can of torco or lucas octane booster would keep it safe.

Unread 03-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
turbostang
Narcissistic fade away

Quote:
Originally Posted by spederman View Post
I wanted to run the race/track tune on the street for the hell of it, but since its an aggressive tune, i was told to make sure i get 93 octane from a reputable gas station. Just to be on the safe side i was wondering if throwing in a can of torco or lucas octane booster would keep it safe.
While it's not a "bad idea" to "be safe" - over octane-ing an engine will cause it to lose power. In some cases, a LOT of power.

What is done to the car?
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
spederman
Time Served

Quote:
While it's not a "bad idea" to "be safe" - over octane-ing an engine will cause it to lose power. In some cases, a LOT of power.

What is done to the car?
Vortech S trim w/ 3.12 pulley, running about 12-13psi boost with a Paxton intercooler. LT headers,X pipe, magnapacks, Bullitt intake, cobra tank/pumps,42lb injectors,HPX MAF, KB BAP.

race tune dyno's at 450rwhp/425tq.

Unread 03-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
turbostang
Narcissistic fade away

Quote:
Vortech S trim w/ 3.12 pulley, running about 12-13psi boost with a Paxton intercooler. LT headers,X pipe, magnapacks, Bullitt intake, cobra tank/pumps,42lb injectors,HPX MAF, KB BAP.

race tune dyno's at 450rwhp/425tq.
some sort of flip chip?
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
johnc1996
Lifer

Quote:
my car has only been tuned on torco so far but when I go to the track I always use race gas so I know it's safe.
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
aggie97
Got Lateral G's??

been using it on my race car for 5 years. It works. 1/2 can in 5 gallons makes 97 or 98 octane per Torco's recent testing and what I was working for.

One time I didn't use it, I holed a few pistons. Keep in mind this is a 12.75:1 compression motor with very agressive timing.

I tend to use nearly 30 gallons of fuel in an average weekend. given most places are charging $8.50/gallon OR MORE for 100 or 104, so far, mixing Torco with good 93 has worked great and been the least cost scenario....you can also find it for less than $20/can.

using my current gameplan and $2.90/gallon 93 octane, 10 gallons is costing me roughly $47.00. That's better than $85.00 for straight 100 octane. Even if I do a mix of 6 gallons of 93 and 4 gallons of 104, it would cost $51.40....and it's a PITA to mix that way with 5 gallon jugs. an easier way would be 5 gal 93 and 5 gal of 104 which would cost $57.00.

This assuming I can get to the same 97/98 octane I am getting now with torco. Considering how damn hard it is to find 100/104 for a good price or at all, and at most tracks it doesn't get turned over much so it could be old, Torco has been a great alternative for me. YMMV......

Anyone heard the rumor that VP racing fuels is going under?

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
aggie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #14
spederman
Time Served

Quote:
some sort of flip chip?
no, just a couple of tunes loaded on my XCAL 2, so i have to swap them if i go to the track to run the race tune vs safe tune.

Unread 03-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
aggie97
Got Lateral G's??

anyone live in Van Alstyne? Just spoke to the Sunoco rep and he said the Shell station on 75 at the van alstyne exit sells Sunoco 100 at the pump.... Would love to verify this if possible.

thanks.

edit: found it

North Highway 75, Van Alstyne, TX 75495
(903) 482-5008‎
lonestarfoodstores.com

Sunoco 100 $6/gal....

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

Last edited by aggie97; 03-11-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #16
turbostang
Narcissistic fade away

Quote:
no, just a couple of tunes loaded on my XCAL 2, so i have to swap them if i go to the track to run the race tune vs safe tune.
Ok, that makes more sense. If you didn't have a way to change tunes - there REALLY is no sense in running octane booster. What is the timing like under boost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97 View Post
anyone live in Van Alstyne? Just spoke to the Sunoco rep and he said the Shell station on 75 at the van alstyne exit sells Sunoco 100 at the pump.... Would love to verify this if possible.

thanks.
Not sure about that place, but in cresson - near MSR, they sell race fuel at the pumps.
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #17
aggie97
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:

Not sure about that place, but in cresson - near MSR, they sell race fuel at the pumps.
I know...8.50/gallon and it doesn't move. It's been in those tanks a LONG time!!!

Unread 03-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #18
spederman
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97 View Post

thanks.

edit: found it

North Highway 75, Van Alstyne, TX 75495
(903) 482-5008‎
lonestarfoodstores.com

Sunoco 100 $6/gal....
any place in DFW sell it at the pump?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement