Need help. How to reset P1260 PATS code? - DFWstangs Forums
DFWstangs Forums    
Go Back   DFWstangs Forums > General > The Garage

DFWStangs.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Unread 01-15-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
Mustangman_2000
Lifer

Lightbulb Need help. How to reset P1260 PATS code?

I've got a 2000 Mustang GT. It won't start and theft light is blinking furiously, so I plugged in my OBDII scanner and got a P1260 THFT DET VEH IMMOB DTC code.

It was running fine and just did this spontaneously tonight. My battery is a little weak, around 11.5 volts according to my volt meter.

How the hell can I reset this? My car is disabled due to this stupid PATS code. I haven't changed keys. Using same key I've always had. Even my 2nd key that I've had in the drawer for years won't start the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Mustangman_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
DFWtechie
Lifer

Now this is some funny shit, stole your own ride?

Can you not clear the codes?
DFWtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
Mustangman_2000
Lifer

I tried clearing the DTC's with the tuner. It indicated DTC's cleared, but car still won't start. Then run the scan again and P1260 reappears.

I was hoping it was just a bad transponder in my original key, but the 2nd key Ford gave me won't start it either. And it's essentially new as I've kept it in a drawer since I bought the car.

Wish someone could tell me how to fix this without having to drag it to the dealer and pay money to fix this ridiculous PATS problem.
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
Dacotua
Old Timer

This may or may not help.... TSB for Pats Diagnostics...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 010602.pdf (43.0 KB, 1261 views)
Unread 01-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
Mustangman_2000
Lifer

Yea, I found the solution to this BS problem.

I just contacted American Muscle and I got an email from SCT about 20 minutes later. I gave them my Order# and they are going to disable the PATS system in both of my tunes and email them back to me.

You know, I understand that PATS is good in theory. However, it frequently and invariably becomes problematic on many Ford vehicles. And just ends up serving as a huge inconvenience and costing the customer.
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Mustangman_2000
Lifer

I solved the problem. I'll write out the steps I took in the event this might benefit another member in the future with a similar problem.

Contacted American Muscle, which in turn contacted SCT. I requested to have PATS disabled in my two custom tune files. SCT tech emailed me two updated tunes with PATS disabled along with instructions on how to upload an email tune file into SCT XCal2 using a free to download software called LiveLoad Ford 2.2.12.1 from sctflash.com The updated tune files were free of charge as part of AM's lifetime tune policy.

My car would not start prior to this process due to PATS P1260. And this is probably due to either a bad transponder in both keys, bad transceiver ring in ignitions switch, or a bad diode in PCM. Or maybe another problem as well. Who knows. And I don't care as I'm not going to pay to have this crap diagnosed and fixed at the dealership. I've got better things to spend my money on right now.

The fix:

1. Disconnect battery for 1 hour.
2. Pump the brakes to bleed off any excess voltage in the system.
3. Reconnect battery
4. Plug in tuner to OBDII port (with key off) and begin program process of uploading new PATS disabled tune file, following the prompts. Complete that process.
5. The car fires right up. Theft light does continue to blink intermittently, but not in a fast pattern like it did prior.
6. Run DTC scan and the P1260 is gone, but you do get a P1000 readiness code.
7. Follow the instructions on going through the Ford Drive Cycle process to address this code. http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html
8. Done

Last edited by Mustangman_2000; 01-15-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement