body work labor rates - DFWstangs Forums
DFWstangs Forums    
Go Back   DFWstangs Forums > General > The Garage

DFWStangs.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Unread 07-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Fordboy91
Time Served

body work labor rates

anyone know what body shops charge per hour on labor. not really needing guestimates, but responses from people who really know. My insurance company is using $40hr and that seems ridiculous. Our dealership charges $100hr for mechanical labor, and we are not the highest.
Fordboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
89gt-stanger
Lifer

Working on a typical vehicle (i,e. not a ferrari etc.) you will looking at anywhere form $60-$120 around where I live.
Unread 07-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
Fordboy91
Time Served

i am gonna call 3 body shops and ask what they charge for labor, then use that against the insurance co. They don't know I still have an insurance liscense and i am in car sales. I will not take their "asking price" for an estimate.
Unread 07-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
gixxerrob
Time Served

Nichols Ford charges most insurance companies between $36 & $40 per hour. We charge $97 for mechanical.

I've had this thing since it was new. It's 17 years old and now it's new again.. LOL

gixxerrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
Fordboy91
Time Served

i guess it's all about location
Unread 07-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
gixxerrob
Time Served

I was talking to the body shop manager the other day. He explained that most insurance companies negotiate better rates with body shops and then use them as a preferred vendor. You'd be surprised how low a body shop labor rate is compared to mechanical labor rate. If you think about it, technology hasn't really changed for body repair where as your always learning new things on the mechanical side.

I've had this thing since it was new. It's 17 years old and now it's new again.. LOL

gixxerrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
Maverick
Banned

$32 to $40 seems to be the norm in D/FW...higher end collision repair shops charge twice, sometimes three times that...
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
svtaaron
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerrob
I was talking to the body shop manager the other day. He explained that most insurance companies negotiate better rates with body shops and then use them as a preferred vendor. You'd be surprised how low a body shop labor rate is compared to mechanical labor rate. If you think about it, technology hasn't really changed for body repair where as your always learning new things on the mechanical side.

x2, labor rates on mechanical are alot higher than body rates, double actually, insurance will usually pay 38-42 dollars an hour on the body work side of things where as i have never seen a mechanical rate for less than 80 an hour and dealership work is alot higher than that, around 110 or so depending on dealership and location. it should be devided up within the estimate/quote/claim, what costs what and how many hours were spent on each.
svtaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
buzntxn
Time Served

36.00 to 42.00 an hr body labor, mech labor is usually not surveyed, so the shops get their mech labor, could be from 50.00 to over a hundred an hr, depending on where you go, insurance body rate is usually from 36 to 40 an hr
buzntxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement