DFW Mustang Forums banner

1991 Mustang ignition switch not working

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  JimD 
#1 ·
I'm about to purchase this 1991 Mustang, but they key does not do anything in the ignition. When you turn they key it just spins forward, does not even click. There is a little white module connected to the wiring harness that fell off the bottom of the steering column. It looks like it used to go right up against the rod that moves when you turn they key. I cant figure out what I need to replace because it just wont stay in there and I cannot tell how it used to stay clipped in. Can anyone snap a pic of what its supposed to look like or offer some advice? I'll get some detailed pics tomorrow.

#3 ·
Its probably simple, but I've never encountered it before and wasn't there when it broke so I'm not entirely sure what happened. It has copper contacts on one side and the harness connector on the other. Under the column I can see where it goes, but not how it connects.

#7 ·
The metal bracket is fine, the white portion fell out as well as the slider piece that is inside (the smaller white piece visible in pic 3). I'll take a look at it today, hopefully its just a matter of some coaxing and some (maybe) electrical tape.

#10 ·
Whoops. Didn't tape it but I did manage to get it to snap back into place without issue. Fit in pretty snugly too. I'll be sure to pick up a new one when I pick up the car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.