DFW Mustang Forums banner

What Causes Valve Clatter

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  inline 6 
#1 ·
this may seem like a dumb question. but i am running 93 octane exxon fuel. i put my engine together and it is supposed to be 10.5:1 compression.. the engine builder said 92-93 octane was fine... i would not have to worry about running race fuel. but now im getting a lot of valve chatter when i log on it in 3rd gear and up. so any words of wisdome?

#3 ·
Yeah..........what Forrest said. Just pull the timing back a little and see if it helps. 10.5:1 ......you should have any problems with that compression on stock heads.

#4 ·
ive got AFR 185 heads, 36# injectors, systemax intake, my tming is 10* initial..... I AM RUNNING THE EPEC. but its about to hit the trash can....

CAN THE STOCK COMPUTER SUPPORT A 331, AFR 185'S, SYSTEMAX, 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 36# INJECTORS. CAN IT RU THE CAR WITHOUT RUNNING LEAN??? I AM GOING TO GO WITH A CHIP OR A CARB...

#5 ·
Put a timing light on it and read where your advance is running. Double check your roller rockers also. You are no where near detonation due to compression problems. Sounds like an advance problem. Have you played with the fuel pressure?

#6 ·
my buddy that set the timming had it a little off. he was adjusting it by the notch in the timmingindicatorand not the edge... i set it at 10* by the edge of the timming mark... and it sounds fine now... the fuel is at 42# at idle wit hvacumm hose on..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.