DFW Mustang Forums banner

Biggest tire on a Fox body?

7K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Spritle 
#1 ·
Without sticking out of course... What size tire and wheel, with what backspacing of wheels you guys(or have seen) running? Does it take massaging of the wheel wells? Mini tubs a good idea? M-tubs sure would be easy to do right now with the car stripped. I don't need or want 31x14's or anything - just would like to know what fits well in a 28" tall slick and 325-50 DR.

Andrew - didn't we mount 28x10's or 10.5's for you?

Manny?

Anyone?

Thanks! :)

#2 ·
I've got 28 x 10.5's on a 5.5" BS 15x8 weld draglite. I had to hammer on the wheel well, roll the fender, and cut a bit of the front and back ground effects. You could use a 6.5" Bs on a 15x10" draglite.

Lane said:
Without sticking out of course... What size tire and wheel, with what backspacing of wheels you guys(or have seen) running? Does it take massaging of the wheel wells? Mini tubs a good idea? M-tubs sure would be easy to do right now with the car stripped. I don't need or want 31x14's or anything - just would like to know what fits well in a 28" tall slick and 325-50 DR.

Andrew - didn't we mount 28x10's or 10.5's for you?

Manny?

Anyone?

Thanks! :)

#9 ·
302_plus_a_few said:
I had a 15x10 wheel (6.5" BS) with a Goodyear 28x11 slick on my old car. I had to use a 1/4" spacer as well. It was tight in there. Lots of wheel well beating.
Looks good Kirk!

I think the section width on those Goodyear 11's is about 12.5". Big tire.

I'm thinking of mini-tubbing this car. :) A buddy of mine just did his Nova and said it was very easy... We'll see.

It would make fitting tires a lot easier!

#10 ·
Lane said:
Looks good Kirk!

I think the section width on those Goodyear 11's is about 12.5". Big tire.

I'm thinking of mini-tubbing this car. :) A buddy of mine just did his Nova and said it was very easy... We'll see.

It would make fitting tires a lot easier!
If you figure out an easy way to mini tub a Mustang I'm going to copy you. Damn spring perches are too close to the wheel to get much of a mini tub. The best one I've ever seen done was a guy that cut the stock spring percchs out and welded a couple of Chassis engineering per-formed frame rails to the inside of the stock frame rails and then installed ladder bars. It was a home brew setup and it was on a coupe. He had a 30x12 Goodyear slick on it.

#11 ·
302_plus_a_few said:
If you figure out an easy way to mini tub a Mustang I'm going to copy you. Damn spring perches are too close to the wheel to get much of a mini tub. The best one I've ever seen done was a guy that cut the stock spring percchs out and welded a couple of Chassis engineering per-formed frame rails to the inside of the stock frame rails and then installed ladder bars. It was a home brew setup and it was on a coupe. He had a 30x12 Goodyear slick on it.
Coil overs are cool...;)

#17 ·
Eh...

Honestly, a 28x10.5 (or in my case a 28x12.5 et street, virtually the same size tire..is about all you wanna do on a stock style suspension.

Mine are the same 15x10 with 6.5", and I have a 5/16" spacer on each wheel just in case.

ALso going from a 15x8 w 5.5 to a 15x10 with 6.5/spacer on the exact same tires knocked off about half a tenth consistently on the 60 foot times...
http://krylonracing.com/Stang/955.jpg

#21 ·
Mathematically a 325/50-15 should be 27.25"x12.25"...however given that its a radial I'd figure the tread would wrap a bit and be closer to a 28x10.5-11"

Also, with a radial type sidewall you should be fine....I'm looking to move to drag radial too probably...so I'll let ya know/you let me know...

-Sean

#23 ·
GT40MkI said:
Mathematically a 325/50-15 should be 27.25"x12.25"...however given that its a radial I'd figure the tread would wrap a bit and be closer to a 28x10.5-11"

Also, with a radial type sidewall you should be fine....I'm looking to move to drag radial too probably...so I'll let ya know/you let me know...

-Sean
Is 12.25 the treadwidth or from sidewall to sidewall???

#24 ·
spankustang said:
Is 12.25 the treadwidth or from sidewall to sidewall???
Technically speaking, the number 325 is the tread width in mm. Conversion to inches is 26.5mm/inch and you get ~12.26xxxx

The the 50 means that half of the tread width (50%) will be the sidewall..

From the MickeyThompsontires.com site:
3757R P325/50R15 (28x13.50R15)
3762R P295/65R15 (30x12.50R15)
3763R P315/60R15 (30x13.50R15)

And from Summit(BFG 325/50-15):
Specifications:
* Tire size: P325/50R-15
* Overall diameter: 27.9 in.
* Section width: 13 in.
* Tread width: 10.5 in.
* Recommended rim width: 9 in. to 12 in.
* Load rating: 2,447 lbs. at 44 psi

Looks like its going to be fun making em fit-I'll probably end up with a bit more (7/16") spacer and a big hammer inside the wheel well...if you get em first let me know how it works out... ;)

I'll post pics if I happen to run across a set...at $320-350/pair I'm not going to be too keen on any rubbing going on back there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.