DFW Mustang Forums banner

City Motor Supply? Blaines?

3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  AllStockRacer 
#1 ·
Anybody know where I can get a re-built or re-manufactured engine? The truck in my sig has a 383 and I get very poor milage. The guy I bought the truck from is a friend of mine and he needed cash so I bought it off of him. I want to do more of a daily driver but with a 305-350 stock. I dont need it to run like a bat out of hell like some of your cars, just want to have a decent running engine that I can drive daily if I want to.

#2 ·
you have an old carbed truck, its going to get horrible gas mileage.
the money you spend on a 305 and stock heads will exceed the ammount you would spend on any excessive gas you think you are using.

do the math with how many miles you drive and your current gas mileage, and compare it to that many miles at 2-5mpg more. it wont be as much as a chitty-motor longblock and a gasket set.

#6 ·
NOTHING in the carb world will perform better or give you better mileage than a purpose built QuadraJet. The tiny primary's will do wonders to fuel vaporization which is CRUCIAL to both power and mileage.

You are not simply going to just grab any QuadraJet, bolt it on and expect to get good results. They'll live up to the QuadraJunk stereotype if you do. You'll have to go through one and modify the air bleeds, main air bleeds and idle channels/tubes if you want one to work good all around. And a rebuild kit from a local auto parts store is nothing but the least in quality that you can and should get to net you the results.

You put a purpose built QuadraJet on there built by myself or someone who truly knows them inside and out, then you will never look back.

For an intake manifold, just use a cast iron QuadraJet intake and be done with it.

The Blaines and City Motor supply stuff are G.I.G.O. stuff. They're $600 for a reason.

#10 ·
Transmission...without a doubt. You'll get more mpg from an overdrive gear than just about anything else.

#13 · (Edited)
pick your self up a 4l60e and a becontrols controller. you wil be way better off. I have the holley TPS adapter for the carb if you need. also you could just swap you current carb for a vac sec 600 with the trans swap and see mid teens.. I am getting 16mpg sitting in irving traffic... with a 351w, e4od, 3.55 gears, and a holley 600 vac sec in a 86 f250. I am currently switching to TBI for more control.

#18 ·
I completely agree with the overdrive. But you'll want a 12 bolt rear end so that you can have some gear in it. The 10 bolt stuff is typically in the 2.41 to 2.73 gear range.

#20 ·
Thanks guys for all the great information. The truck does in fact only have a 3 speed auto. Since I wont be looking to run this thing hard other than daily driving.... I still dont expect to get great milage. I was just hoping to get into the teens. Even the low teens would be a great improvememnt. But as of now, I am getting about 9 miles a gallon at best on average. Money is not to big of an issue. I was planning on spending for now about 1500.00. But I may go by way of the tranny and take it from the there. The carb on it is maybe two moths old. He had just replaced it when I bought it. Its an edlebrock(sp) 650 if that info matters any.

#21 ·
I agree with the overdrive recommendations, if the 383 makes any power and you go with a 2004r make sure it's built to handle it. The 2004r will have the least drivetrain loss followed by the 700\4l60e and the 4l80 will have the most drivetrain loss. Also if you switch to a 12 bolt you will have more drivetrain loss than the 10 bolt. You should have mileage gains with the overdrive but adding a 12 bolt or 4l80 could hinder how good your gains could be in my opinion.

#22 ·
Yes, that carb has some pretty rich metering rods in it. I'm thinking they are stamped 70/47. If so, the 47 is really rich for what you are doing. I would get some that are 70/57 or 75/57. I know they offer at least one of those with that number combo. Another thing you can do to that carb is tune the idle mix screws and you can install a lighter tension step up spring under the primary metering rods to delay enrichment vs vacuume load. But, in terms of mileage, power and drive ability, it'll never hold a candle to the QuadraJet I am discussing with you. You won't find a carb that does a better job at fuel shear/atomization than a correctly set up QuadraJet.

#23 ·
Just a note about City Motor Supply: A buddy of mine from this board, ran a blower on one of their shortblocks that pushed around 480 to the wheels, and it lasted quite a while. On the other hand, I pulled one down years ago (a 350) that had a .040 turned cranked, and really inconsistant bore's in the cylinder's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.