DFW Mustang Forums banner

Does Torco work?

6K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  spederman 
#1 ·
Anybody use Torco accelerator? Does it work raising the octane level? Any downsides of using it like fouling plugs?

#2 ·
Yes it works, and it does turn plugs orange, but I never had it foul out any plugs.

#5 ·
Octane boosters, for the most part, are bandaide fixes for a poorly tuned car.

If the car doesn't have a chip, or a way to adjust boost - then you are most likely wasting your money.

Now, for the sake of argument, what's done to the car that it "needs" octane booster?

#8 ·
I wanted to run the race/track tune on the street for the hell of it, but since its an aggressive tune, i was told to make sure i get 93 octane from a reputable gas station. Just to be on the safe side i was wondering if throwing in a can of torco or lucas octane booster would keep it safe.

#7 ·
THat's exactly what it's used for, but there are better ways to do it. Does it raise octane, maybe so -but what extent? Does it fight off detonation? Maybe so. Will it keep you from knocking a headgasket out of it? maybe. Will it keep you from popping the motor? maybe. Long story short, no one can garauntee you that it raises the octane any certain amount, nor can they say it raises the octane X amount. IF someone tells you that, they are flat out not telling you the truth, because I can promise you that no one around here has a way to tell you IF it raises octane OR much less HOW much.

I am not sure what Torco goes for now days, but at near 20$ a can, I'd MUCH rather use a couple gallons of race fuel and mixing it with a known amount of pump gas for my track days. At least this way, you KNOW how much octane you are starting out with, and I'd dare to say - there's probably a way to determine how much octane you are using, or very close to it.

#13 ·
been using it on my race car for 5 years. It works. 1/2 can in 5 gallons makes 97 or 98 octane per Torco's recent testing and what I was working for.

One time I didn't use it, I holed a few pistons. Keep in mind this is a 12.75:1 compression motor with very agressive timing.

I tend to use nearly 30 gallons of fuel in an average weekend. given most places are charging $8.50/gallon OR MORE for 100 or 104, so far, mixing Torco with good 93 has worked great and been the least cost scenario....you can also find it for less than $20/can.

using my current gameplan and $2.90/gallon 93 octane, 10 gallons is costing me roughly $47.00. That's better than $85.00 for straight 100 octane. Even if I do a mix of 6 gallons of 93 and 4 gallons of 104, it would cost $51.40....and it's a PITA to mix that way with 5 gallon jugs. an easier way would be 5 gal 93 and 5 gal of 104 which would cost $57.00.

This assuming I can get to the same 97/98 octane I am getting now with torco. Considering how damn hard it is to find 100/104 for a good price or at all, and at most tracks it doesn't get turned over much so it could be old, Torco has been a great alternative for me. YMMV......

Anyone heard the rumor that VP racing fuels is going under?

#15 · (Edited)
anyone live in Van Alstyne? Just spoke to the Sunoco rep and he said the Shell station on 75 at the van alstyne exit sells Sunoco 100 at the pump.... Would love to verify this if possible.

thanks.

edit: found it

North Highway 75, Van Alstyne, TX 75495
(903) 482-5008‎
lonestarfoodstores.com

Sunoco 100 $6/gal....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.