DFW Mustang Forums banner

hyundai accent broken timing belt

17K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Justa4banger 
#1 ·
My sister's car a 2000 hyundai accent broke the timing belt as she was driving. I have found out that this is an interference engine and I can not turn the cam pulley by hand, so bent valves I am sure. Here is the question though what is the likely hood that the engine is ok? I have never messed with OHC timing belt stuff, and I am more worried that the rods are bent and the pistons are trashed, but a jy engine is a possibility too. thanx josh

#2 ·
beefed88 said:
My sister's car a 2000 hyundai accent broke the timing belt as she was driving. I have found out that this is an interference engine and I can not turn the cam pulley by hand, so bent valves I am sure. Here is the question though what is the likely hood that the engine is ok? I have never messed with OHC timing belt stuff, and I am more worried that the rods are bent and the pistons are trashed, but a jy engine is a possibility too. thanx josh
you have a large paperweight on your hands. Most likely the rod bearings are now hammered and rods bent and holes in pistons. Find you a junkyard motor and swap in over a weekend.

#6 ·
aggie97 said:
you have a large paperweight on your hands. Most likely the rod bearings are now hammered and rods bent and holes in pistons. Find you a junkyard motor and swap in over a weekend.
X2
My gf ended up getting one from a guy who couldn't afford the repairs. Leaking head gasket and broke timing chain...her dad which is a mechanic of 30 years said f'it and bought a junkyard engine and put it in. Said it took him less time for the motor swap than him trying to pull all that and fix it. I think he bought the engine for 600 or so.

#7 ·
thanx guys just found a jy motor w/ 63k on it for $520 and a 6 month warranty didn't think it would be that cheap, going to the timing belts and waterpump on it before I put it in tomorrow.

#8 ·
beefed88 said:
thanx guys just found a jy motor w/ 63k on it for $520 and a 6 month warranty didn't think it would be that cheap, going to the timing belts and waterpump on it before I put it in tomorrow.
Post up where you found it for future reference to others....that is a good deal!

#14 ·
Take the head off the car.

I've seen lots of import motors break the belt and sometimes the heads are fine. 90% of them I've seen just the valves trashed and the pistons are fine.

Only in like 5% of the time I've seen a valve go through a piston. (Generally people aren't racing it when it breaks the belt.).

Replacing the head isn't that hard on a 4 banger ohc car.

#15 ·
My 2000 GTI broke the timing CHAIN at 62k miles and i was in 3rd just to shift to 4th racing a focus SVT ....... right around 6k+ rpm.. 4 of the 6 pistons had new valve clearancing ;)

that motor was fucked.

Funny thing is VW claims the timing CHAIN is a lifetime item.....
Good thing i got a new motor under warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.