DFW Mustang Forums banner

What's the difference between a rebuilt title and a salvage title?

69K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  vnmous93cobra 
#1 ·
Got a car I'm looking at. The guy says the title is blue and says "rebuilt." It's not a pink "salvage" title. What's the difference?

#5 ·
mustang93 said:
I buy and sell cars all the time... There the same thing. No big deal.
not really... if you have a clean title car for 4500
a salvage/rebuilt title would be worth around 3k

trust me.... when time to re-sell it will be a major pita!!! 85% of non car people are scared as fuck of them.... now if you plan on keeping it fuck it... but if you ever have any intention of selling you will be in a world of shit

#7 ·
mustang93 said:
Let me rephrase that I guess................................. A salvaged title is the same thing as a rebuilt title...
yes i do agree.... salvage/rebuilt = probably hidden problems not known/discussed = big pain in the ass = harder to re-sell.. dont do it unless you plan on keeping it... jeremiah im sure you have encountered this with one car or another

#8 ·
what about problems with insurance

#10 ·
Stephen said:
not really... if you have a clean title car for 4500
a salvage/rebuilt title would be worth around 3k

trust me.... when time to re-sell it will be a major pita!!! 85% of non car people are scared as fuck of them.... now if you plan on keeping it fuck it... but if you ever have any intention of selling you will be in a world of shit

X2...I just bought a nice 86 that has a salvage title. The bad part was that the wreck was the other persons fault. The guy bought the car back as there wasn't alot of damage. It doesn't take much to total out most fox bodies due to the wholesale value and the price of body shop repairs.

#21 ·
What do you think an 01 GT black on black 5 speed with a rebuilt title would be worth. I'm told there is no sign of a collision on the car, only the air ba light is on. It runs and drives perfect and the paint/body/interior are in good shape. I will of course have to verify this myself.

#22 · (Edited)
mustang93 said:
BWAHAHAAH!!!! Got the rest of that nitrous kit you owe me??? And that POS JUNK motor I got from you rod knock and all!!!LOL!!!!
LOL that is first time you stated rod knock, that motor ran consistent 5.80's before you got it, god knows what happened then. That was a worked block, girdled, h-beam rods, J&E pistons, $400 solid roller cam set up,4340 steel crank, built professionally 347 stroker.

You are an automotive retard so go figure. Of course that was April of 2005 when we made that trade. I recall you gave me a Novi 2000 missing an oil feed line, no crank pulley and were supposed to give me the blow-off valve. So lets see you kept the $175.00 blow off valve and I kept $50 worth of N2O jets, that seems like you got the short end of the stick :rolleyes: I have offered to give you the jets with my foot up your ass several times as I am in the Libery Hill/North Austin area monthly, you have never made an effort to collect.

#23 ·
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that salvage means the car was considered a total loss at some point (insurance totalled it and paid off) and has not officially been rebuilt and re-registered.

I have had several rebuilt title vehicles, and have one now. In every case the vehicle did not come with a title, forms had to be filed with the state on what was replaced on the vehicle and where they came from, the vehicle had to be re-inspected and re-registered. Then a new title was issued that was blue and had rebuilt printed on it under remarks.

There are no additional fees for registering or for insuring. If you buy a rebuildable vehicle and do all of the work, you don't pay sales tax on the vehicle. Some banks will not loan on a rebuilt or salvage title, but many will.

It has been my experience that salvage/rebuilt title cars will bring 10-15% less money, and are a little more difficult to sell. People are definately more leary of them, and I can understand why. Plenty of people are not honest about how bad the vehicle was damaged, and whether it was rebuilt properly or rigged. I personally don't have a problem with them as long as the price is right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.