DFW Mustang Forums banner

1973 Ford Maverick V6 to V8 Swap ???

9K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  MKStangbanger 
#1 ·
A buddy of mine wants to know what it takes to be able to swap out his V6 for a V8 in his 1973 Ford Maverick. I know nothing about these cars so I am no help. Any help or advice would be great!!!

Thanks.....

#4 ·
Thanks guys!!!!!

#7 ·
As far as i know, yes. I have seen one and its still there but has been stripped of all the v8 gear. I had it bought at one point but the guy backed out and gave me my money back. Then he stripped all of it out and put it in another car. :mad:

#8 ·
No shit?

Funny thing, right before I saw this post I had talked to my oldest freind, haven't seen him in 25+ years. I asked if he still had that maverick in the barn that we painted psychedelic with latex house paint, he said yes, never did get around to finding a distributer cap for it and its still sitting where we left it.

I'm heading up there maybe this weekend, how much is it worth?

#9 ·
How much is there? Is it complete, running minus the distributor, has the house paint fallen off or will it have to be stripped, is it manual or auto, hows the interior? I might be interested in one, if the price is set reasonable.

#10 ·

The problem is that most of the donor cars are long gone to the crusher. Most of the parts will interchange with the first gen. mustangs, so the mustang guys scarf them up pretty quick. You might get lucky and find one in a wrecking yard, but even the granada parts are hard to find now.

#11 · (Edited)
Most all the stuff that will interhange with mustangs, falcons, mavericks, and grenadas has been scarfed up. You get lucky every once in a while and find one of the above listed that has been wrecked and put out to pasture to rot, and occasionally find one that was just hauled into a scrap yard or salvage yard. For the most part they are gone or just well hidden from veiw.

#12 ·
donnie90stang said:
How much is there? Is it complete, running minus the distributor, has the house paint fallen off or will it have to be stripped, is it manual or auto, hows the interior? I might be interested in one, if the price is set reasonable.
I haven't seen it in over 25 years, but I would guess that the body surface is pretty much rust-free :D The rest should be fairly well preserved, it has been in a barn. Minus any rats eating on it's insides and stuff.

Just from memory, the seats were not in great shape, the front quarter was dented, the old paint was ugly but intact, and all the glass was okay. It wasn't exactly an old car, it was a couple years old when we broke the distributer cap and that was 30 years ago. We painted it in 1979, and I saw it again around 1982, but didn't think anything about it then.

If it is worth something Kenny may want to sell it. He probably wouldn't want premium bucks for it, just a fair price. I'll ask him this weekend when I go out there.

#13 ·
Cool, well take a camera and get a few if he wants to sale it. I fi decide against buying it someone else may want it. There was an ad in a hotrod magazine several years ago on what cars made the best drag cars as far as weight and aerodynamics and guess which one was at the top of the list, supprise it wasnt a mustang, or a vega. It was the old maverick body that topped the charts.

#16 ·
You're in mt pleasant? This is between Commerce and Wolfe City, not so far. I think we called it Fairlie but just because that was where the old Fairlie cemetary was.

Man, more and more reasons to go back. Funny how you lose touch with freinds and then you realize they have grandkids now.

#20 ·
Well last time i checked BRAZIL wasnt right next door, and where did you get germany from. Why dont you tell the rest of us where this alleged car is located before it rusts to the ground. hehehehehe

#21 ·
All mavericks in 73 had either a 200 I6, 250 I6, or the 302 V8. If you are lucky to have the 250 I6, You get the 5 lug hubs + the good 8" rear end. Also with the 250, the trans, converter, & bellhousing will work with the V8. You will need to get a V8 flexplate(for balancing reasons), frame/engine mounts, & throtle cable. Also possibly the radiator unless you use a 289 water pump. I did a few of these swaps back in the 80's on a couple of mavericks.
If you have the 200 I6, you will need to upgrade suspension, possibly brakes, trans, radiator, & everything else listed above. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.