How to break a bead & remove a tire with hand tools? [Archive] - DFWstangs Forums

: How to break a bead & remove a tire with hand tools?

White trash wagon
09-15-2002, 06:14 PM
Anyone know of a fairly easy way to break a bead and remove a tire with just hand tools? Like at a junkyard, or at home?

mikeb
09-15-2002, 07:11 PM
I've heard you can lay the wheel on it's side and
carefully drive a car over the tire portion. Remove
the valve stem first.

Dunno if that really works or not.

ThreeFingerPete
09-15-2002, 07:20 PM
we did it on a camaro once with two prybars, shove one between the rim, jump up and down on it to break the bead, work around the rim, repeat on other side. took about 20 minutes though.

adam
the_wagon_that_zigs@yahoo.com

Odiopopulis50
09-15-2002, 10:25 PM
I sounds like most of all the things you're going to hear will damage the rims. Ever thought about getting an industrial puddy knife and trying to slip that between the tire and the rim? I've never had to do any of this by hand, but...that sounds like that may work. The industrial ones are thicker, so as not to break it in your hand.

JimD
09-15-2002, 10:36 PM
Drive on out to Harbor freight and get the el-cheapo tire changer. I got mine on sale for $35 bucks, one of the most used tools i have. It has changed 100+ tires. It has an arm that breaks the bead. The secret is tire soap, use plenty. The changer needs to be mounted to a secure surface, but we had it screwed to plywood for a while, kinda awkward but works. It is now bolted to some steel thats anchored to the ground in concrete.
Probably not much help at a wrecking yard, but there are hand held bead breakers. I tried it once, what a piece of shit. You can also purchase hand tools that service truck tires. bars and bead hammer, they would do the job.
BTW driving a car on the wheel/tire is a good way to put a nice dent in a fender or warp a rim, You must remove the valve core before breaking the bead(lets the air out).

mikeb
09-15-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by JimD
BTW driving a car on the wheel/tire is a good way to put a nice dent in a fender or warp a rim, You must remove the valve core before breaking the bead(lets the air out).

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you were right. It
was just something I read or heard about as a
backyard/redneck technique. Use at your own risk.

cooltodd5.0
09-15-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by mikeb
I've heard you can lay the wheel on it's side and
carefully drive a car over the tire portion. Remove
the valve stem first.

Dunno if that really works or not.
ya it works but unless you are pulling a few pounds of bud out of the wheel, i would say just go to discount tire, walk into the shop get on a machine an break your bead an leave.

Cooter
09-16-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by cooltodd5.0

ya it works but unless you are pulling a few pounds of bud out of the wheel, i would say just go to discount tire, walk into the shop get on a machine an break your bead an leave.

ha! I remember that shit! that was funny stuff!!!

I STILL have some of that stuff!!!!

Forrest

DarkKnight88
09-16-2002, 11:56 AM
remove the valve from the valve stem like the wheel on its side use a 2 by 4 and drive up on the 2 by 4 it will break the bead without rim damage

Andrew
09-16-2002, 12:34 PM
ask SNEAKY!

Vitriol
09-16-2002, 01:00 PM
Soapy water helps. I did it once with two tire irons, and it looked like I was wrestling the tire on the front lawn.

Wild Stallion
09-19-2002, 01:32 AM
Shit...Go to Cowtown Speedway on a Saturday night and watch the "Rednecks" they can do a tire in about 5 minutes, using 2 tire irons and a 5 lb rubber mallet. None of the drive it on drive it off shit, you can cut the bead too easily. Or better yet, spend 5 bucks and have it mounted and balanced. Do it all the time at WallyWorld.

cooltodd5.0
09-19-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by bunjovi
Yes driving over the tire can break it down...but if you do get the tire rim on the car to close to the one laying down it can and will do damage ,,,,never tried 2by4... as you are driving up on it have someone put soappywater around the area you have sliped down....have someone turn the tire about one forth around,,,,,,,repeat this till tire breaks loose.....the soappy water will keep it from seating back ......motor cycles are very easy if you have a vise........Discount tire fixes flats for free......even if you didnt buy your tires there...:)

Have a nice day!

Odiopopulis50
09-19-2002, 02:42 AM
Bitter, are we?

JimD
09-19-2002, 07:32 PM
I'll agree that a wheel/tire is durable, but i believe if i ran a Mustang rim over with my tractor -trailer it would be some kinda f-up'ed. I wouldn't chance cutting a $300 steer tire proving it to some moron, but i have busted curbs turning into job sites<---very good way to bust a rim on an 18 wheeler.