Corbon dpx vs black talon [Archive] - DFWstangs Forums

: Corbon dpx vs black talon

jrstang
01-07-2010, 10:30 PM
What do you guys feel is better for a self defense round. I can see the plus side and downside to both. One being the availability of the talon ammo. Anyways just want some input on what you guys feel does the best job.

03trubluGT
01-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Black talons arent' manufactured and haven't been for 10 years.

Any premium round will be good (Corbon, Federal, Speer, Hornaday, etc)...

evil jose
01-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Winchester's Bonded Ammo is probably about as close to Talon's as they have right now. To answer your question, you should probably post the caliber you are interested in.

the spindoctor
01-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Black talons arent' manufactured and haven't been for 10 years.

Any premium round will be good (Corbon, Federal, Speer, Hornaday, etc)...

he's probably referring to the ranger t, just a newer version of the talon with a different name.

i decided on corbon dpx for my 380 because it seemed to have decent expansion and penetration for such a small caliber compared to others. either way, i know i wouldn't want to get shot with any kind of hollow point.

Trip McNeely
01-08-2010, 01:04 AM
Winchester Ranger SXT is what the Black Talon became. Its the same bullet minus the color and name. The new Winchester PDX is the step up from the SXT. It is essentially the same thing, but better because the jacket is bonded to the lead bullet so it wont separate upon impact.

jrstang
01-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Nah I actually bought some very old stock black talons in various calibers of my carry weapons 9mm, 40s&w,45acp and 357mag.

Pokulski-Blatz
01-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Winchester Ranger SXT is what the Black Talon became. Its the same bullet minus the color and name. The new Winchester PDX is the step up from the SXT. It is essentially the same thing, but better because the jacket is bonded to the lead bullet so it wont separate upon impact.

They make the Ranger in a bonded bullet as well.

03trubluGT
01-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Nah I actually bought some very old stock black talons in various calibers of my carry weapons 9mm, 40s&w,45acp and 357mag.

I have one box of Black Talons in .40 S&W that I'm holding onto for nostalgia.

propellerhead
01-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Go with a popular brand then put the rest of your effort into becoming a better shooter.

03trubluGT
01-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Go with a popular brand then put the rest of your effort into becoming a better shooter.

In other words, go buy inexpensive ball ammo to practice with, and one box of "good stuff" to load up with for everyday carry.

Pokulski-Blatz
01-08-2010, 04:50 PM
In other words, go buy inexpensive ball ammo to practice with, and one box of "good stuff" to load up with for everyday carry.

Personally I would buy more than one box of carry shit. Got to make sure it feeds right.

03trubluGT
01-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Personally I would buy more than one box of carry shit. Got to make sure it feeds right.

I've never had a gun that eats the cheap stuff not eat the good stuff, but hey, I'm not the one shooting Raven and Lorcin firearms :nana:

Pokulski-Blatz
01-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I've never had a gun that eats the cheap stuff not eat the good stuff, but hey, I'm not the one shooting Raven and Lorcin firearms :nana:

I have had at least two kimber 1911s that didn't like several types of JHP.

Dacotua
01-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I have one box of Black Talons in .40 S&W that I'm holding onto for nostalgia.

Bachman Pawn and Gun has a lot of Orginal Black Talons on the shelf still.

Seriously folks, Anything hollow point is a good defense round. Don't get caught up in "Brand Ammo".

jrstang
01-08-2010, 06:51 PM

Ive got cases of winchester brass I use for target practice. I probably target practice more than 90% of gun owners. Hell I shot 200 rounds out of the xd45 just last weekend. I try to target practice at least once a week if possible. I wont carry a gun I cannot be dead nuts comfortable and accurate with.