Tell me about Cal.765 "Le Basquf" Marque Depcsle? [Archive] - DFWstangs Forums

: Tell me about Cal.765 "Le Basquf" Marque Depcsle?

wldbilonhill
03-14-2008, 03:19 PM
I have a semi-automatic pistol and I would like to know more about its history. On the slide is the following - Cal.765 "Le Basquf" Marque Depcsle. The grip has a design that looks like a dragon. I heard from the former owner that it was used by German postal carriers during WWII. The name of the pistol appears to be mean it is French in origin with "Le" meaning "the", "Marque" meaning "Brand". I have not idea what "Basquf" or "Depcsle" mean in french, but I think they are names.

Thx

Falcongunner
03-14-2008, 03:53 PM
I have a semi-automatic pistol and I would like to know more about its history. On the slide is the following - Cal.765 "Le Basquf" Marque Depcsle. The grip has a design that looks like a dragon. I heard from the former owner that it was used by German postal carriers during WWII. The name of the pistol appears to be mean it is French in origin with "Le" meaning "the", "Marque" meaning "Brand". I have not idea what "Basquf" or "Depcsle" mean in french, but I think they are names.

Thx

The cartridge is a 7.65 Browning or 32 ACP most likely. Basquf or Depcsle does not translate from French. They could be abreviations. Basquf is real close to Basque Could mean "The Basque Brand something.

There is a Le Basque Pistiol and it is indeed French. All of my books are in Colorado or I could tell you more about it. Looks very similar to the Spanish "Ruby" that was so commonly used in France in WW I and WW II, probably a copy. Does it look something like this?

After a little more research it appears it is a Spanish Ruby made by Eulogio Arestegui of Eibar Spain. It will have some Spanish proof marks on it some where.

Wayne in FW

That_Is_My_El_Camino
03-14-2008, 06:08 PM
There was also the 7.65mm Longe (I believe it was French, also) or some shit. I have a friend that has one and could never find ammo. It's the same bullet and similar case to a .32 ACP/7.65mm Browning, but it's slightly longer.

Yale
03-15-2008, 12:47 AM
There was also the 7.65mm Longe (I believe it was French, also) or some shit. I have a friend that has one and could never find ammo. It's the same bullet and similar case to a .32 ACP/7.65mm Browning, but it's slightly longer.

LMAO @ the 10mm equivalent of a .32! Le FAIL!

That_Is_My_El_Camino
03-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Dude, he gave me a cartridge and said the gun was so old and worn he couldn't make out any words or letters on it. He gave me a cartridge and I thought it was a .32 ACP. I pulled a factory round out of the box, lined them up, and the mystery cartridge was just a little bit longer. I measured the bullet (as best I could), the case diameter, case length, cartridge overall length, diameter of the rim, everything I could think of. I spent some serious time looking through 4 or 5 reloading manuals trying to find a cartridge with dimensions that matched that. Nothing! I guess it's such a turd that even the old, crotchety reloaders don't give a shit (or maybe it's just because it's a French turd). He finally found what it was.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg98-e.htm

As for the original poster, does it look like this?

http://armsbid.com/ks7pix/7gsm-14.jpgLot 1078 - Unmarked European - Mannlicher/Star pattern semi-auto pistol - 7.65mm - Good condition - 20-30% blue, balance gray; unmarked except for a cannon logo w/ cal. mkg. & “MARQUE”. This appears to be a Mannlicher inspired early Star / Echeverria design, but my sources vary on the model designation, with candidates including Model 1919, Model H, & Model I. Appears to be functional. Replaced stag grips. - s/n 42651 - {7gsm-14} - C&R ffl - (estimate 125 to 250) http://armsbid.com/7revolvers-pistols.htm

Falcongunner
03-15-2008, 07:17 AM
I am almost certain that the Le Basque is a 32 ACP (almost all Ruby types were).

The 7.65 French Long is indeed the 10mm equivalent of a 32 ACP (great observation). That ammo was available at Military Gun Supply not too long ago and is availble at Buffalo Arms for $51 a box of 50. I know of no pistols other than the French 35's and 38's that were chambered for it (typical of the French and their weapons).

Wayne in FW

That_Is_My_El_Camino
03-15-2008, 01:47 PM
You're wrong.

10mm Auto = fucking greatness (and the original; .40 S&W was derived from 10mm, not the other way around)
.40 S&W = adequate greatness

7.65mm Browning = turd (the original)
7.65mm Longue = polished turd (the unoriginal, but equally shitty)

wldbilonhill
03-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback on my question. The thumbnail attached to the first response, thx falconrunner, appears to be a good match to my pistol.