slush in engine [Archive] - DFWstangs Forums

: slush in engine

proud1
11-26-2005, 03:38 PM
i need help- i blew a head gasket the other day on my 90 gt pulled heads off and its filled with slush was wondering if you had ideas on how to remove the slush from the engine without pulling it out or when i get it running will a couple of oil changes do the job for me

Slush- oil and water mixed together

lxcoupe23
11-26-2005, 03:42 PM
pour a gallon of diesel thru the motor....dont start it....then run 2 quarts of oil behind that...that will take all the diesel out.....thats the easiest way to do it with the motor in..make sure both drain plugs are out too..dont want any diesel left in the oil

JMAC
11-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Change the oil start it and change the oil again. Keep doing it until the slush comes out.

lxcoupe23
11-26-2005, 03:55 PM
that would take 5 oil changes to do that..diesel is cheaper and faster jmo

bjsstang03
11-26-2005, 04:39 PM
screw that id pull the engine if i were you! then you can check things out in there too to make sure you didnt blow anything else up! pulling the engine is the only way to go! it will cost you but in the long run its worth it!

JMAC
11-26-2005, 05:03 PM
that would take 5 oil changes to do that..diesel is cheaper and faster jmoIf he bought a engine flush product it would take 3 at the most.

lxcoupe23
11-26-2005, 05:14 PM
If he bought a engine flush product it would take 3 at the most.
im not trying to start an arguement here at all....but think...at 3 bux a quart for some castrol...thats 5 quarts...and 3 filters......thats 15 quarts of oil..u can get a case for like 22 bux...and thats about 10 or so in filters...so thats around 35 bux ..not including the crank case cleaner
where as one gallon of diesel does the same job without harming the bearings or anything for like 3 bux max.....and 2 quarts of oil...then a regular oil change
so 35 bux vs 15 bux? you be the judge lol

JMAC
11-26-2005, 05:39 PM
$35 my way or a possibility of diesel still being in the motor.

lxcoupe23
11-26-2005, 06:02 PM
if you pour diesel in the motor...it will flow in certain places correct.....you pour oil behind it..it drags it all out.....diesel is the same as the engine clean..just a heavy dirty chemical that will drag oil and shit out...same thing but cheaper...ive done it plenty of times and it hasnt hurt anything yet

proud1
11-26-2005, 06:12 PM
if you pour diesel in the motor...it will flow in certain places correct.....you pour oil behind it..it drags it all out.....diesel is the same as the engine clean..just a heavy dirty chemical that will drag oil and shit out...same thing but cheaper...ive done it plenty of times and it hasnt hurt anything yet
i've heard about diesel but how my should you pour and also where do you pour it though and is it a fact that pouring oil after wards will flush out the diesel

lxcoupe23
11-26-2005, 06:34 PM
ive always used the diesel...i usually had my valve covers off when i did it..i just poured half a gallon on each side so it cleaned out the oil passages in the heads and went all they way thru the motor to the pan..then i followed with some cheap thick oil to get all the diesel out...u can tell when all the diesel is out cause when its all coming out at first you see the slush mixed with diesel so its kinda green looking..then it starts clearing up..then add oil..u can see the residue of diesel in the first quart..then the second quart will be just like you poured it in....very clean

and if the heads are off..just pour it thur the oil passages on the block to get the junk out..and wipe out the cylinders real good

you can do either one you want as far as what chemical to use..i know mine works so ill continue to use diesel

but both ways work fine

PooterWS6
11-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Why not leave the oil pan plug out and circulate oil thru it several times?
Hell, use a old distributer shaft and "prime" it and circulate the sludge and get it out...
I wouldnt pour diesel in with the oil.

lxcoupe23
11-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Why not leave the oil pan plug out and circulate oil thru it several times?
Hell, use a old distributer shaft and "prime" it and circulate the sludge and get it out...
I wouldnt pour diesel in with the oil.
well you leave the plug out when you pour the diesel too...just let it run down thru the motor and drain right out...i wouldnt suggest letting any chemical other than oil sit in the pan...but thats a good idea too.....but you might clog the screen doing that or seize up the pump with all the sludge...never know

PooterWS6
11-26-2005, 06:51 PM
well you leave the plug out when you pour the diesel too...just let it run down thru the motor and drain right now...i wouldnt suggest letting any chemical other than oil sit in the pan...but thats a good idea too.....but you might clog the screen doing that or seize up the pump with all the sludge...never know
Thats my worry, depending on how old/how much shit has built up over time, he might dislodge something that might get stuck in a oil hole somewhere along the line.
He thinks the sludge is gone, starts up the motor and doesnt have any oil pressure because its clogged somewhere down the line...
And liek you said if he did clog up the screen on the oil pump pickup, hes going to have to pull the pan to clean it out, or at the least pull it to double check before he starts it up....

kal-el
11-27-2005, 12:29 AM
screw that id pull the engine if i were you! then you can check things out in there too to make sure you didnt blow anything else up! pulling the engine is the only way to go! it will cost you but in the long run its worth it!

thats what i'd do..good luck! :cool:

Andrew
11-27-2005, 10:15 AM
http://www.yerot.com/~aweil/pictures/blownhg.jpg

Juiceweezl
11-28-2005, 08:16 AM
well you leave the plug out when you pour the diesel too...just let it run down thru the motor and drain right out...i wouldnt suggest letting any chemical other than oil sit in the pan...but thats a good idea too.....but you might clog the screen doing that or seize up the pump with all the sludge...never know

Use diesel. I've done this tons of times on 4 wheelers when they cut off in a creek somewhere and suck water in 'cuz the pipe was under water. It works and won't hurt anything.

fitzwell
11-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Diesel would be the first choice, then for the next 4-6 oil changes, add about 1/2 quart of rislone right before the oil change to make sure all of the funk is removed from the motor. DO NOT use any kind of "Engine Flush",as this stuff is extremely caustic to the engine bearings, and has NO lubricating properties.(if you ever get the chance, pour a drop between your fingers & rub..you'll get it)