Biggest tire on a Fox body? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
My other car's a mini-van
 
Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lunatic Fringe
Posts: 5,187
Biggest tire on a Fox body?

Without sticking out of course... What size tire and wheel, with what backspacing of wheels you guys(or have seen) running? Does it take massaging of the wheel wells? Mini tubs a good idea? M-tubs sure would be easy to do right now with the car stripped. I don't need or want 31x14's or anything - just would like to know what fits well in a 28" tall slick and 325-50 DR.

Andrew - didn't we mount 28x10's or 10.5's for you?

Manny?

Anyone?

Thanks!
Lane is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Turbobrooks
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
Posts: 16,252
Re: Biggest tire on a Fox body?

I've got 28 x 10.5's on a 5.5" BS 15x8 weld draglite. I had to hammer on the wheel well, roll the fender, and cut a bit of the front and back ground effects. You could use a 6.5" Bs on a 15x10" draglite.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lane
Without sticking out of course... What size tire and wheel, with what backspacing of wheels you guys(or have seen) running? Does it take massaging of the wheel wells? Mini tubs a good idea? M-tubs sure would be easy to do right now with the car stripped. I don't need or want 31x14's or anything - just would like to know what fits well in a 28" tall slick and 325-50 DR.

Andrew - didn't we mount 28x10's or 10.5's for you?

Manny?

Anyone?

Thanks!
Andrew is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 12:59 PM
PVC Racing
 
musclestang89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DFW
Posts: 9,779
Re: Re: Biggest tire on a Fox body?

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
You could use a 6.5" Bs on a 15x10" draglite.



thats what I'm using, with the 28 x 10.5 slick


here a pic of it

"Less talkie talkie more ping pong"
musclestang89 is offline  
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 01:01 PM
turn it!
 
dragradialstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,260
15x10 w/ 6.5 bs
dragradialstang is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Ide fuck her in the ass..
 
Da Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CrooKed I muthafucker!
Posts: 42,924
i run 15x8 with 5.5bs with 28x10,5's...didnt have to cut or pound anything...

WTB: At&T phone... pm me what ya got...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Da Prez is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
My other car's a mini-van
 
Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lunatic Fringe
Posts: 5,187
Re: Re: Re: Biggest tire on a Fox body?

Quote:
Originally posted by musclestang89
thats what I'm using, with the 28 x 10.5 slick


here a pic of it
15x10 with 6.5" BS?

Thanks guys!
Lane is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 01:06 PM
World Record Holder!
 
302_plus_a_few's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Guinness Book
Posts: 12,383
I had a 15x10 wheel (6.5" BS) with a Goodyear 28x11 slick on my old car. I had to use a 1/4" spacer as well. It was tight in there. Lots of wheel well beating.
302_plus_a_few is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 01:07 PM
PVC Racing
 
musclestang89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DFW
Posts: 9,779
Re: Re: Re: Re: Biggest tire on a Fox body?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lane
15x10 with 6.5" BS?

Thanks guys!

yea

"Less talkie talkie more ping pong"
musclestang89 is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
My other car's a mini-van
 
Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lunatic Fringe
Posts: 5,187
Quote:
Originally posted by 302_plus_a_few
I had a 15x10 wheel (6.5" BS) with a Goodyear 28x11 slick on my old car. I had to use a 1/4" spacer as well. It was tight in there. Lots of wheel well beating.
Looks good Kirk!

I think the section width on those Goodyear 11's is about 12.5". Big tire.

I'm thinking of mini-tubbing this car. A buddy of mine just did his Nova and said it was very easy... We'll see.

It would make fitting tires a lot easier!
Lane is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:07 PM
World Record Holder!
 
302_plus_a_few's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Guinness Book
Posts: 12,383
Quote:
Originally posted by Lane
Looks good Kirk!

I think the section width on those Goodyear 11's is about 12.5". Big tire.

I'm thinking of mini-tubbing this car. A buddy of mine just did his Nova and said it was very easy... We'll see.

It would make fitting tires a lot easier!
If you figure out an easy way to mini tub a Mustang I'm going to copy you. Damn spring perches are too close to the wheel to get much of a mini tub. The best one I've ever seen done was a guy that cut the stock spring percchs out and welded a couple of Chassis engineering per-formed frame rails to the inside of the stock frame rails and then installed ladder bars. It was a home brew setup and it was on a coupe. He had a 30x12 Goodyear slick on it.
302_plus_a_few is offline  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally posted by 302_plus_a_few
If you figure out an easy way to mini tub a Mustang I'm going to copy you. Damn spring perches are too close to the wheel to get much of a mini tub. The best one I've ever seen done was a guy that cut the stock spring percchs out and welded a couple of Chassis engineering per-formed frame rails to the inside of the stock frame rails and then installed ladder bars. It was a home brew setup and it was on a coupe. He had a 30x12 Goodyear slick on it.
Coil overs are cool...

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:20 PM
World Record Holder!
 
302_plus_a_few's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Guinness Book
Posts: 12,383
Quote:
Originally posted by STROKD
Coil overs are cool...
Where do they connect?
302_plus_a_few is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally posted by 302_plus_a_few
Where do they connect?
to the shock?

My dad has c/o on his GR40, and he has lots of room from where the spring used to be... because the spring is about 1/3 the size...
STROKD is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:32 PM
World Record Holder!
 
302_plus_a_few's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Guinness Book
Posts: 12,383
Quote:
Originally posted by STROKD
to the shock?

My dad has c/o on his GR40, and he has lots of room from where the spring used to be... because the spring is about 1/3 the size...
Well, that might be an option worth looking into. Who makes the coilover conversion?
302_plus_a_few is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Hamilton Racing Ownz U
 
STROKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally posted by 302_plus_a_few
Well, that might be an option worth looking into. Who makes the coilover conversion?
www.griggsracing.com

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
STROKD is offline  
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
My other car's a mini-van
 
Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lunatic Fringe
Posts: 5,187
LOL - yeah, maybe I'll take a look at that spring perch! THAT might cause some problems...
Lane is offline  
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Krylon
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 996
Eh...

Honestly, a 28x10.5 (or in my case a 28x12.5 et street, virtually the same size tire..is about all you wanna do on a stock style suspension.

Mine are the same 15x10 with 6.5", and I have a 5/16" spacer on each wheel just in case.

ALso going from a 15x8 w 5.5 to a 15x10 with 6.5/spacer on the exact same tires knocked off about half a tenth consistently on the 60 foot times...
http://krylonracing.com/Stang/955.jpg
GT40MkI is offline  
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Is it cold in here?
 
spankustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Missouri
Posts: 7,371
I run 15 x 9 Alumastars with a 6 3/8 backspace and 28 x 12.5 ET Streets and it's real tight!!! But it looks good


8.26@172 on some 275 60's!
http://media.putfile.com/Neely-tulsa-final-round001
spankustang is offline  
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 03:26 PM
IA2
 
mikeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 22,413
I still have those 15x10 draglites with 5.5 BS (and also a spacer that I can't remember how thick it is) if you'd like to try them.

I'd make ya a good deal on them
mikeb is offline  
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Is it cold in here?
 
spankustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Missouri
Posts: 7,371
how big is a 325 50 15 drag radial??? Is it like a 28x10.5 or is it bigger


8.26@172 on some 275 60's!
http://media.putfile.com/Neely-tulsa-final-round001
spankustang is offline  
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Krylon
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 996
Mathematically a 325/50-15 should be 27.25"x12.25"...however given that its a radial I'd figure the tread would wrap a bit and be closer to a 28x10.5-11"

Also, with a radial type sidewall you should be fine....I'm looking to move to drag radial too probably...so I'll let ya know/you let me know...


-Sean

GT40MkI is offline  
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 05:25 PM
turn it!
 
dragradialstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,260
Quote:
Originally posted by 302_plus_a_few
Well, that might be an option worth looking into. Who makes the coilover conversion?
I wouldn't use the conversion on a drag car, all the cars I've seen when the springs are moved behind the axle on stock suspension have probs.
dragradialstang is offline  
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Is it cold in here?
 
spankustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Missouri
Posts: 7,371
Quote:
Originally posted by GT40MkI
Mathematically a 325/50-15 should be 27.25"x12.25"...however given that its a radial I'd figure the tread would wrap a bit and be closer to a 28x10.5-11"

Also, with a radial type sidewall you should be fine....I'm looking to move to drag radial too probably...so I'll let ya know/you let me know...


-Sean
Is 12.25 the treadwidth or from sidewall to sidewall???


8.26@172 on some 275 60's!
http://media.putfile.com/Neely-tulsa-final-round001
spankustang is offline  
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Krylon
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally posted by spankustang
Is 12.25 the treadwidth or from sidewall to sidewall???
Technically speaking, the number 325 is the tread width in mm. Conversion to inches is 26.5mm/inch and you get ~12.26xxxx

The the 50 means that half of the tread width (50%) will be the sidewall..

From the MickeyThompsontires.com site:
3757R P325/50R15 (28x13.50R15)
3762R P295/65R15 (30x12.50R15)
3763R P315/60R15 (30x13.50R15)

And from Summit(BFG 325/50-15):
Specifications:
* Tire size: P325/50R-15
* Overall diameter: 27.9 in.
* Section width: 13 in.
* Tread width: 10.5 in.
* Recommended rim width: 9 in. to 12 in.
* Load rating: 2,447 lbs. at 44 psi

Looks like its going to be fun making em fit-I'll probably end up with a bit more (7/16") spacer and a big hammer inside the wheel well...if you get em first let me know how it works out...

I'll post pics if I happen to run across a set...at $320-350/pair I'm not going to be too keen on any rubbing going on back there...

GT40MkI is offline  
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 08:53 AM
Krylon
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 996
While we're on the topic...anyone know when the MT Drag Rad's will be available?

GT40MkI is offline  
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Is it cold in here?
 
spankustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Missouri
Posts: 7,371
I saw them on TV but haven't heard when they'll be out!!


8.26@172 on some 275 60's!
http://media.putfile.com/Neely-tulsa-final-round001
spankustang is offline  
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
My other car's a mini-van
 
Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lunatic Fringe
Posts: 5,187
Quote:
Originally posted by GT40MkI
While we're on the topic...anyone know when the MT Drag Rad's will be available?
At SEMA, they told me the 275-60r15's would be out in January and the other sizes would follow in the next few months...
Lane is offline  
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Is it cold in here?
 
spankustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Missouri
Posts: 7,371
what's the spec's on a 275 60 15???


8.26@172 on some 275 60's!
http://media.putfile.com/Neely-tulsa-final-round001
spankustang is offline  
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Krylon
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 996
3754R P275/60R15 (28x11.50R15)

According to MT again...

My old BFG 275/60s were not as tall tho, closer to a 27x10

GT40MkI is offline  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 11:27 AM
The Fastest of the Fast
 
AnotherRedHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: FastestETville
Posts: 13,693
15 by 10 6.5 BS with 1/4 inch spacer, fits perfect
AnotherRedHead is offline  
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 02:05 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally posted by AnotherRedHead
15 by 10 6.5 BS with 1/4 inch spacer, fits perfect
Yup, here's mine with that setup.
Spritle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome