DFW Mustang Forums banner

460 swap

4K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  DerekC 
#1 ·
89 model 460 out of a f250...efi....will carb ,intake,drop right on top of factory heads...can i use factory pullies for a fox...what about keeping cool...will fox radiater work or what...its a stock460

#2 ·
Pretty much any intake for a 460 should fit on stock heads. I don't see why they wouldn't. Invest in a nice big radiator, 180 thermostat and a high cfm electric fan and you should be alright. I would look for at least a 2800cfm fan. Also, Invest in a really good set of headers. I bought some individual flange headers years ago for a 460 and they really sucked. Not fun to install. They make some nice single flange headers that work wonders.

#5 ·
A intake intended for the older carbed engines will NOT work on those heads without major modifications, the later EFI heads (E7TE, F3TE) heads have different shaped ports that are raised on the heads somewhere around 1/2"-3/4", the mismatch will not allow it. The shortblock can be used, but the heads would need to be changed or the intake heavily modified to work with the EFI heads.

If you are interested in a set of carbed heads send a message, I have a set of D0VE heads that I had a local shop do a valve job on a year or so ago, still unran since the freshening.

Stevo

#6 ·
bullfrog said:
on the year they changed ,but fuel injected heads are a different setup. As is that 460 is a poor choice for a performance application in my opinion.
i gotta ask....why is it a poor choice?

#8 ·
bullfrog said:
1. Low compression.
2. Restrictive head design for a performance application.
3. No performance intake available.
4. No headers readily available for a fox.
5. No good looking valve covers available. :D
I have to argue with you here.

1. All 460 cylinder heads manufactured after 1971 are large chamber (97cc) and considered low compression, with a head change to an earlier head (76cc) or flat top piston the compression will increase. The EFI pistons actually have a smaller dish as compared to stock carb pistons, so they are actually a better choice in the compression sense.

2. The EFI heads actually have a decent flow considering the port volume, and have been used in the right combination for up to 500 hp in a street application.

3. True, no bolt on carb intake is currently made to work with the EFI heads at the moment, there are a couple companies that have them in the design/testing stages, but none are sold at the moment. A few have modified earlier carb intakes with success.

4. Fox 460 headers can be used with a flange swap.

5. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :D

NOW that has been said, all these arguments are moot with a simple head change, swapping earlier heads onto the later block will allow an aftermarket carb intake to be used, and if early 76cc castings are used higher compression can be had. Using small chamber stock heads on that EFI shortblock with only a camshaft/timing chain swap (depending on the cam) would net near 300-450 hp, simple porting on the exhaust side would push it closer to 500 hp, at which the stock pistons become a liability.

If you already have the engine you mentioned, swap on stock early 76cc chamber heads, swap in the $99 Summit #sum3501 camshaft and an early timing chain set, a performance carb intake/Holley 750, and a set of Fox swap headers, you are looking at ~350 hp@4000 and ~475 tq@3000. Those numbers are from using known stock head cfm flowcharts, 9:1 compression using desktop dyno, and from statements given from people who have built similar engines it is very easy done.
Porting the heads on the exhaust side gives tremendous gains, and allows for more cam and more power, depending on the work invested in the heads.

Hope this helps clear any confusion.

Stevo

#9 ·
Stevo said:

1. All 460 cylinder heads manufactured after 1971 are large chamber (97cc) and considered low compression, with a head change to an earlier head (76cc) or flat top piston the compression will increase. The EFI pistons actually have a smaller dish as compared to stock carb pistons, so they are actually a better choice in the compression

2. The EFI heads actually have a decent flow considering the port volume, and have been used in the right combination for up to 500 hp in a street application.

3. True, no bolt on carb intake is currently made to work with the EFI heads at the moment, there are a couple companies that have them in the design/testing stages, but none are sold at the moment. A few have modified earlier carb intakes with success.

4. Fox 460 headers can be used with a flange swap.

5. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :D

NOW that has been said, all these arguments are moot with a simple head change, swapping earlier heads onto the later block will allow an aftermarket carb intake to be used, and if early 76cc castings are used higher compression can be had. Using small chamber stock heads on that EFI shortblock with only a camshaft/timing chain swap (depending on the cam) would net near 300-450 hp, simple porting on the exhaust side would push it closer to 500 hp, at which the stock pistons become a liability.

If you already have the engine you mentioned, swap on stock early 76cc chamber heads, swap in the $99 Summit #sum3501 camshaft and an early timing chain set, a performance carb intake/Holley 750, and a set of Fox swap headers, you are looking at ~350 hp@4000 and ~475 tq@3000. Those numbers are from using known stock head cfm flowcharts, 9:1 compression using desktop dyno, and from statements given from people who have built similar engines it is very easy done.
Porting the heads on the exhaust side gives tremendous gains, and allows for more cam and more power, depending on the work invested in the heads.

Hope this helps clear any confusion.

Stevo
I guess you missed the part where I said AS IS.

#10 ·
Stevo said:
1. All 460 cylinder heads manufactured after 1971 are large chamber (97cc) and considered low compression.

3.. Fox 460 headers can be used with a flange swap.

If you already have the engine you mentioned, swap on stock early 76cc chamber heads, swap in the $99 Summit #sum3501 camshaft and an early timing chain set, a performance carb intake/Holley 750, and a set of Fox swap headers, you are looking at ~350 hp@4000 and ~475 tq@3000.

Stevo
1. Not all heads after 71 are 97cc. The D2OE PI head is 88cc.
2. For a truck maybe. No one runs the FI heads on a true performance engine.
3. Headers won't seal the tubes are too much bigger.
4. Why would you want a 350 hp 720 lb BB? :D

No confusion here.

#11 ·
bullfrog said:
I guess you missed the part where I said AS IS.
From your viewpoint, every 460 manufactured produced after 1971 "AS IS" is a poor choice for performance, I was just stating facts and giving him information, there is no reason for you to be a dickhead. :rolleyes:

Stevo

#12 ·
I had a 429 block with C9VE heads and it made a lot more than 350 hp with stock intake manifold, stock exhaust manifolds, etc.

I'd just get you some old C9VE of DOVE part # heads and then dig you up an aluminum intake at a swap meet (Offenhauser 360=cheap) and put em on. They will wake that thing up real nice like. Or hell even an old CJ or SCJ cast iron intake will work. The CJ intake is a spreadbore though just FYI.

Then when you get some $$$, go over to www.jonkaaseracingengines.com and buy you some goodies.

#13 ·
bullfrog said:
1. Not all heads after 71 are 97cc. The D2OE PI head is 88cc.
2. For a truck maybe. No one runs the FI heads on a true performance engine.
3. Headers won't seal the tubes are too much bigger.
4. Why would you want a 350 hp 720 lb BB? :D

No confusion here.
1. Got me there, the one head (police interceptor head)
2. Wrong there, there have been mild street engines with EFI heads dyno 450 hp
3. Miss where I said re-flange?
4. 350 hp-475tq with $300 worth of parts, do that with a small block

Stevo

#14 ·
bullfrog said:
1. Low compression.
2. Restrictive head design for a performance application.
3. No performance intake available.
4. No headers readily available for a fox.
5. No good looking valve covers available. :D
are you high? seriously?

#16 ·
Nope

Stevo said:
From your viewpoint, every 460 manufactured produced after 1971 "AS IS" is a poor choice for performance, I was just stating facts and giving him information, there is no reason for you to be a dickhead. :rolleyes:

Stevo
No, just the FI truck engine for the reasons stated. After you buy a swap kit for $550 plus and invest another $300 in the mods you suggested to attain a 350hp motor that weighs an additional 200 lbs that is not a very cost effective option. I was not trying to be a di*khead, but did take exception to your "clearing up the confusion remark".

#17 ·
bullfrog said:
???? You must not know much about the 385 series engines.
i know plenty. infact i know that: there are pistons available that arent low compression, there are a ton of intakes, headers readily available for the fox body and valve covers available. oh yeah and i even know plenty about the BB fox swap. thank you, try again.

#18 ·
But

FatassLX said:
i know plenty. infact i know that: there are pistons available that arent low compression, there are a ton of intakes, headers readily available for the fox body and valve covers available. oh yeah and i even know plenty about the BB fox swap. thank you, try again.
Do you guys ever read the entire post? I said the stock 89 FI engine AS-IS is not a good choice. I never said that you cant take the block and build a performance engine. after you change heads, pistons, intake, cam, exhaust etc. Sheesh!!!. You do realize that the FI heads do not use the same valve covers as the earlier carbed engines? Besides that part was a joke. Do you realize that there are no intakes except the factory FI intake that fits those heads?

#20 ·
bullfrog said:
Do you guys ever read the entire post? I said the stock 89 FI engine AS-IS is not a good choice. I never said that you cant take the block and build a performance engine. after you change heads, pistons, intake, cam, exhaust etc. Sheesh!!!. You do realize that the FI heads do not use the same valve covers as the earlier carbed engines? Besides that part was a joke. Do you realize that there are no intakes except the factory FI intake that fits those heads?

Have you ANY experience in using the EFI heads? Have you even looked at one, touched one, read anyone else's experience in using them? Out of the box as cast, the EFI heads have a better flowing exhaust port versus nearly all 385 series stock cast heads. Yes, they use a cast center bolt valve cover, so what? Okay, enough with the heads, lets pick apart the rest of your posts.

bullfrog said:
No, just the FI truck engine for the reasons stated. After you buy a swap kit for $550 plus and invest another $300 in the mods you suggested to attain a 350hp motor that weighs an additional 200 lbs that is not a very cost effective option. I was not trying to be a di*khead, but did take exception to your "clearing up the confusion remark".
ANY BBF that he swaps in, regardless of year, compression, etc will require items to swap in. The engine he is referring to using already has the correct oil pan, so that isn't needed. He can actually use stock manifolds until he gets headers. Yes, he would need mounts, that is no big deal. You keep spouting that 350 hp number like that is some kind of limit, that is the bottom hp line, cam choices can make it 450 with the stock heads, pistons, rods, etc, plus you purposely keep leaving out the 475 tq that I quoted. Get over it guy, just because you have given up on bigblocks doesn't mean you need to bash them or try to spread false or skewed information.

In retrospect, he doesn't need the $550 swap kit you mentioned, the engine he listed has the correct oil pan, pump, pickup tube, etc to swap right in. He can use regular cast iron truck manifolds until he decides to change them, he can buy a set of remanufactured heads for a few hundred dollars, a Performer intake for maybe $75-$100, a summit cam kit for $100. A 750 Holley vac sec carb is easy to obtain, and not a budget buster. The engine can use stock valve train, valves, etc. He will have 350-450hp easily, cheaply. Yes, the engine weighs more, it also puts out more torque than nearly any NA smallblock.

To answer the last question, yes and no, you can buy or make an adapter to install a carb on the EFI intake and plug the injector holes, but to use an aftermarket carb intake you need to swap the heads to early non EFI heads.

Simply swapping to the early small chamber heads on that later EFI block has been reported to increase horsepower around 40hp just from the compression increase.

Stevo

#21 · (Edited)
hellas85stang said:
so efi 460,will need diff heads 4 carb?
Call me crazy, but you could always buy a solid aftermarket aluminum intake, get one of those CHP spyder intake elbows, and have injector bungs welded into it. The firing order won't be the same as a 5.0 (I think), but with that and the right injectors and Maf, it could work with your stock computer after a tune. Beyond that, you might get the stock truck EFI stuff ported and see where you end up, and try to get someone (or just pay someone) to get it and your stock computer to work together. This is where I was trying to tell you in my other post that cubic inches require cubic dollars, otherwise we'd all be rolling around in low-compression pro-stock engines.

#22 · (Edited)
Stevo said:
Have you ANY experience in using the EFI heads? Have you even looked at one, touched one, read anyone else's experience in using them? Out of the box as cast, the EFI heads have a better flowing exhaust port versus nearly all 385 series stock cast heads. Yes, they use a cast center bolt valve cover, so what? Okay, enough with the heads, lets pick apart the rest of your posts.

Stevo
Are you off your meds? Drag racers don't run fi heads. Wonder why? They just can't compare on a HIGH performance engine. They MAY be OK for a Truck or maybe if you were running a blower/turbocharger but on a N/A engine they just can't compare. Spout all you want about the exhaust port. They may be efficient, but that does not translate into a good choice for performance. They just don't flow well enough for a performance engine. If they were the hot ticket, the racers would be lining up at the wrecking yards and edelbrock, trick flow, ford racing, and Kasse would not be selling heads.

PS. I have not given up on the 385 engine. They are great if you know how to build one. That engine AS-IS is just is not the best choice for a Fox!!!

#23 ·
Very

Gimmeabeer said:
Call me crazy, but you could always buy a solid aftermarket aluminum intake, get one of those CHP spyder intake elbows, and have injector bungs welded into it. The firing order won't be the same as a 5.0 (I think), but with that and the right injectors and Maf, it could work with your stock computer after a tune. Beyond that, you might get the stock truck EFI stuff ported and see where you end up, and try to get someone (or just pay someone) to get it and your stock computer to work together. This is where I was trying to tell you in my other post that cubic inches require cubic dollars, otherwise we'd all be rolling around in low-compression pro-stock engines.
well put.

#24 ·
hellas85stang said:
89 model 460 out of a f250...efi....will carb ,intake,drop right on top of factory heads...can i use factory pullies for a fox...what about keeping cool...will fox radiater work or what...its a stock460

Take it from someone that has been there done that.. A big block in stock form or close to stock form is no fun.. tons of torque but no hp.. you could go faster on a budget with a very mild 351 w and easier to put together.. I ran 9's in the quarter naturally aspirated and it was fun to outrun a lot of nitrous and blower small block cars but IT COST MONEY and takes GOOD HEADS to make good power.. I loved my bbf.. BUT to make a DRAG race type DURABLE engine out of the 460... you need the minimum

Good Headers
Glide if budget is not a consideration
C6 if budget is a concern (i had a c6)
THROW away the iron heads for a boat anchor or a wheel chock
(heavily modded dove heads are ok but a aftermarket scj style alum will always win!)
Get a scj style intake port head (motorsport jon kaase style out of box R decent 4 up to 650 to 700 flywheel hp.. with basically no port work..
Decent carb
single plane intake as torque is not a problem
decent size solid lift or preferably a mild roller cam
motor plate is better but can make solid conversion mounts..
in a fox k member spacers will tame the nose up attitude if you are putting it on stock motor stands and make is easier to get under a hood

with this basic list of parts you could do a basically stock rebuild on the shortblock
ie: basic flat top piston (i personally HATE any hyp or cast piston setup)there is a reasonable speed pro forged piston out there for them in a flat top

Good bolts

older blocks are much stronger (thicker main webs)

stock rods are ok to a point with good bolts but you can do a cheap upgrade to a eagle "sir" rod (i beam) for 330 bucks or so

These are random thoughts the will get you a easy 10 second car with the right converter and you don't need a ton of gear.. I ran in the 9's NA witha 3.73 gear..

This will be a reliable combo but initial cost is higher than a sbf.. (primarily heads they are outrageous )

If you are gonna try to run some stock efi style engine and stock manifolds and stuff it CAN BE DONE but i am telling you it will be a dissapointment unless you like doing monster burnouts and running 14's

#25 ·
[/QUOTE] If you are gonna try to run some stock efi style engine and stock manifolds and stuff it CAN BE DONE but i am telling you it will be a dissapointment unless you like doing monster burnouts and running 14's[/QUOTE]

Amen. It is not that it can't be done but why would you do it (89 EFI motor)? There are better options in my opinion.

#26 ·
no im gettin a efi 460 maybe...i want it carbed...excpt for intake,hedrs,mounts,oil pan everything else will be stock..just wantin to know if i needed diff heads for carb...i also can get a 1969 429 mild cam intake,stock carberated heads...match springs.. i want different,straight line racing..i can update to stiffer susp springs,tub k,ect in time...in dec ill have 2g to spendon upgrades...willtake time..but like delbrock rpm hci is 514hp. thats 3g in mods..will get a c6 2400-3000 stall depending on setup.. stilllooking in a windsor swap buti want dff......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.